• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

)WisP(

Graceful as the wind
a warrior's story was alright, very repetitive though. there are a few parts where your vocals sounded as though you just couldn't reach a slightly higher note or something.

a mhionn fola i honestly didn't listen to past where the vocals came in. the intro riff was pretty snazzy though. ultimate bravery had the same problem.

looks promising, just needs better recording. i personally consider the last two unlistenable production, sorry. :/

A Warrior's Story isn't my vocals, but the other 2 are, I want to redo the vocals for them though, hopefully with a better quality mic if I can find one. I might be able to get you instrument versions of them if you want, although the vocals in Ultimate Bravery do get very quiet early on, so you might want to give that a listen.

Moltanic

OTTER MODE ACTIVATE!
Since a lot sites are doing their "Best of 2011" lists now. I figured I might as well make one myself. You might wanna grab a Snickers 'cause this gonna be awhile.

That or you just completely skip this post. But you guys aren't that cynical and cold hearted...right?

[IMG200]http://metalodyssey.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/between-the-buried-and-me-the-parallax-large-promo-album-pic.jpg?w=300&h=300[/IMG200]
11.) Between the Buried and Me - The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues
When it comes to prog, few modern bands do it better than BTBAM. Especially now that Paul Waggoner and crew have had time to really refine their act. Few artists could make 30 minutes sound quite as, for lack of a better word, epic. Frantic, brutal, hypnotic, ethereal, this EP does all those things in the run time of your average Black Flag CD. Now that's impressive.

[IMG200]http://www.mixdl.com/uploads/posts/2011-10/1319268531_absu-abzu.jpg[/IMG200]
10.) Absu - Abzu
Normally black metal just dosen't work for me. For the most part, the appeal has always been lost on me. That wasn't the case with Abzu. Right out of the gate this album hits you like a Mack truck. I guarantee you these riffs will be stuck in your head for days. This trio bounds though this entire album without ever losing energy.

[IMG200]http://images.hitfix.com/photos/624601/Dropkick-Murphys--Going-Out-In-Style_event_main.jpg[/IMG200]
9.) Dropkick Murphys - Going Out In Style
Yes I'm aware this isn't a metal album, but hey look at all the fucks I don't give. When I first heard this album title I was a little unsettled, not only did title immediately make me think a break up was imminent but the thought of an imminent break up had me anticipating a half assed send off album. Thankfully I was wrong on both counts. Even if this was the band's swan song I'd be fine with it. This album is that good. It ranks up there with The Warrior's Code for best Murphys album. Everything that makes the band great, is on full display here. The hooks, the choruses, the snarkyness, and the sincerity of some of these lyrics are all present. It even has a guest spot from "The Boss" himself.

[IMG200]https://flacforthemasses.com/sites/default/files/styles/medium/public/cover/cynic_-_carbon-based_anatomy.jpg[/IMG200]
8.) Cynic - Carbon Based Anatomy
I know this EP has gotten a pretty mixed reaction. Personally I love this new sound the band has. It's a far cry from the aggressiveness on Focus but I'm okay with that. I mean prog bands change styles like gold diggers change boyfriends. One thing I love about this album is the production. It sounds crisp and clean the whole way through. And the entire thing all builds to a finale that, at the risk of my manhood, I can only describe as beautiful.

[IMG200]http://www.revolvermag.com//wp-content/uploads/2011/03/protest-the-hero-scurrilous-300x300.jpg?9d7bd4[/IMG200]
7.) Protest The Hero - Scurrilous
Not much to really say about this album. PTH is just one of those bands that you either love or hate. I'm of course part of the former. Honestly I don't think this album sounds all that different from Fortress. Everything you loved (or hated) from that album is all still here. The melodic riffs, Rody's soaring vocals, and the mathy breakdowns. God bless those Canucks. They really outdid themselves this time around.

[IMG200]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bpZIr5Jd4KI/TmVLYS-QckI/AAAAAAAABDA/0mwZTTpNa7Y/s1600/325440.jpg[/IMG200]
6.) Exhumed - All Guts, No Glory
Exhumed is a band who had been out of the game for awhile. 6 years since last album. A lot folks, myself included, thought the band was going to be a little rusty on their comeback. Boy was I wrong this albums is easily on part with the band's classic albums. Hell I think they might have even topped their old stuff. They don't even make anvils this heavy.

[IMG200]http://orlandooomdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/skeletonwitch-forever-abomination.jpg?w=420&h=420[/IMG200]
5.) Skeletonwitch - Forever Abomination
Is it black metal? Is it thrash? Who gives a ****! All I know is that it rocks. This sound best be described as the bastard child of Tom G. Warrior and Euronymous. It's nice to see a modern thrash band who actually takes themselves seriously. Don't get me wrong, I love Lich King but even Spinal Tap would think the Re-Thrash scene has gotten ridiculous. Anyways if Skeletonwitch can keep putting out albums like this, they might just be one of the biggest bands on the new decade. And the exciting thing is, I think they're just getting warmed up.

[IMG200]http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/dahliaritual1.jpg[/IMG200]
4.) The Black Dahlia Murder - Ritual
*gasp* "What's that!? Black Dahlia!? Only ***s listen to that core bullshit! they're not tr00 enough."

Yeah yeah yeah, I've heard it all before. And let me get one thing straight right off the bat. TBDM is to deathcore what Napalm Death is prog metal. They have absolutely nothing in common with each other. What they are, is an amazing melodeath band. They're early stuff sounds like At The Gates but now they truly have their own sound. This album (and it's predecessor) being prime examples. To quote my friend Axl "Ryan Knight's style is so fluid it almost sounds like he’s playing water, fer Chrissakes, and there really isn’t another guy in metal who sounds quite like him." I can't really think of a better way to articulate what sets this album apart.

[IMG200]http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Deicide-To-Hell-With-God.jpg[/IMG200]
3.) Deicide - To Hell With God
Yep kiddies, Glen Benton is back and he is pissed. This album has everything you'd expect from Deicide: brutal, hard hitting riffs and lyrics that'll make any priest within 5 miles seize up in fear. Yeah the lyrical theme is a little repetitive but after all these years I'd be a little disappointed if they weren't explicitly satanic. What I'm trying to say is that, what this album lacks innovation it makes up for in quality. I'm calling it right now, greatest death metal band ever.

[IMG200]http://metalodyssey.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/macabre-grim-scary-tales-large-album-promo-pic.jpg?w=430&h=432[/IMG200]
2.) Macabre - Grim Scary Tales
I wish I could say I was a Macabre fan from way back, but I can't. Truth is I had never even heard of Macabre until I read the review for this album earlier this year. Words can't describe the impact this album had on me. Once you're in the Macabre army there's no turning back. On this album you have: Corporate Death's signature shriek and masterful guitar work, Dennis the Menace's frantic drumming and Nefarious's bass line to tie it all together. These guys right lyrics that make George Fisher uncomfortable. Even El Duce called these guys depraved. El fucking Duce. These guys have done the impossible here. And the scariest part is that all these stories and lyrics are true. They really happened. These are stories of real serial killers told in gruesome levels of detail. This is any gore hound's dream come true.

[IMG200]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-PCcgWzzWvSI/TnkthVTlRwI/AAAAAAAABIQ/Z2WAKYbHdrg/s1600/the-hunter-extralarge_1310146599353-1024x1024.jpg[/IMG200]
1.) Mastodon - The Hunter
This #1 spot should come as no surprise to anyone who knows me. I'm a Mastodon fanboy through and through. Nothing will ever change that. This album, decidedly less proggy than it's predecessor, is just pure fun to listen to. If you thought Crack The Skye was too long and boring then you will LOVE this album. This album is just pure balls out rock with a few slower epics thrown in. I swear The Hunter is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. I want that song played at my funeral when I die. Really I think this album has everything you could want. It's fun, accessible, catchy, intricate, and with enough depth to keep you listening all this year and the next. A++ WDBWA

Originally this was a top 10 but I had to make it a top 11 because I didn't want cut anything out. I hope I managed to get all my points across. I never professed to be much of a writer. Sometimes it's kind of hard for me to articulate my thoughts about an album. Regardless thank you for hopefully taking the time to read through all that. I know I'm kind of a rambler.

Anyways I'm hoping some of you other guys here will post your "Best of 2011" lists. I'd love to see what everyone else listened to this year.

i think i'll hold off on a best of 2011 list since there may be some good stuff released this month. and then i should probably go through and listen to all of my 2011 albums (which is 97 now) to know for sure. but i have a feeling that i will agree with your #1.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Good Calls on DKM and Exhumed.
A top 25 for me is looking at the moment like this;

25. Old Silver Key - Tales of Wanderings (shoegazy post black metal I guess)
24. Exhumed - All Guts, No Glory (death/grind)
23. Morbus Chron - Sleepers in the Rift (death metal)
22. The Devin Townsend Project - Ghost (pseudo new age)
21. The Wolves of Avalon - Carrion Crows over Camlan (folk metal)
20. Ildra - Eðelland (Black metal)
19. Falls of Rauros - The Light that Dwells in Rotten Wood (Atmospheric Black Metal)
18. Lupe Fiasco - Lasers (hip pop)
17. Turisas - Stand Up and Fight (symphonic metal)
16. Ulvegr - Where the Icecold Blood Storms (black metal)
15. Twisted Tower Dire - Make it Dark (traditional metal)
14. Ixion - To The Void (atmospheric doom metal)
13. Kate Voegele - Gravity Happens (pop/folk/rock)
12. Grimoire - À la lumière des cendres (atmospheric black metal)
11. Lord Vicar - Signs of Osiris (trad doom metal)

10. Dropkick Murphys - Going out in Style (folk/punk)
dropkick-murphys-going-out-in-style.jpg

9. The Gates of Slumber - The Wretch (trad doom metal)
252860.jpg

8. Falkenbach - Tiurida (folk/viking metal)
Falkenbach_-_Tiurida_Viking_Metal_artwork-300x300.jpg

7. Falloch - Where Distant Spirits Remain (folky post black metal)
Falloch+-+Where+Distant+Spirits+Remain.jpg

6. While Heaven Wept - Fear of Infinity (power/prog/doom metal)
1029.jpg

5. 40 Watt Sun - The Inside Room (doom metal)
40883_40_watt_sun_the_inside_room.jpg

4. Крода - Schwarzpfad (folky black metal)
krodaschwa.jpg

3. Dark Forest - Dawn of Infinity (traditional metal)
cruz52-cover500x500-300x300.jpg

2. Anathema - Falling Deeper (classical/ambient/whatever you want to call anathema nowadays)
1314634590_1314634215_391843-300.jpg

1. Ygg - Ygg (folky black metal)
42554_ygg_ygg.jpg

I stuck a genre after the album, in case anyone who is a fan of said genre hasn't yet checked it out.

I might stick a little write up for the top ten afterwards.

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
2. Anathema - Falling Deeper (classical/ambient/whatever you want to call anathema nowadays)
1314634590_1314634215_391843-300.jpg

this is my favourite release of the year which is a huge call because i am a dream theater/primus/steven wilson fanboy

god it's so good ; -;

i'm going to hold off on best of 2011 lists until i make up my mind about Disma's Towards the Megalith and given full(er) listens to a couple albums.

i can pretty safely say that either 40 Watt Sun - The Inside Room or Vektor - Outer Isolation will take first place, even though i'm still kind of holding on to listening to Outer Isolation.

it's okay, but i'd honestly recommend you just get some of Incantation's classic stuff if you don't have it already. it's literally the exact same thing as Incantation, which i know makes sense because there's a few members of the band in it and one of their main songwriters, but every time i put it on i just feel like it's time i'm wasting that could be better spent listening to Diabolical Conquest or Onward to Golgotha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dRTO_yTs-4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3_Zx2imaug

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Of the two songs, I liked the second better. Not sure if I'll be rushing to hear the full thing. And if Disma isn't as good, I might just not bother.

After another listen, I was quite taken, so I've just downloaded Onward to Golgotha.

Last edited:

Agarth

Mad Breeder
True blue metal head here! Openminded about it though (I listen to classical music aswell as electronical)

First band I saw live was Chimaira in 2003 or 2004

After that I've tried to see loads of bands live last being Alter Bridge and the Big 4

EDIT: I'm still thanking RWJ for giving Deals Death their big shove to the public!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfJwXiElJKw

Check em out if you like Melodic Death!

Last edited:
just discovered Disciples of Power a little earlier. massively underrated and awesome Canadian thrashy, kinda techy death metal. it spends a little too much time noodling around with fancy guitar tricks on some tracks but when they lock into a really good riff... ****ing good ****.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fIgK3zpqfg

also, new Vektor is as good as i thought it would be, except for the fact that there are a total of three rerecordings... all solid tracks though.

new Absu on the other hand is pretty disappointing, now that i've given it time to sink in. even more stripped down than the self titled. it's good, i just can't really get worked up over it. where the **** did all that chaos go from Tara and the like? the production's lack of high end on a lot of the riffing doesn't help either.

Last edited:
i suppose i can make a top 10 albums for 2011. i'll hold back up on disappointments and a 20 or 25 list until the first month of next year after i've absorbed everything and sifted through stuff i might have missed. i already know some stuff that might take a spot in my top 20 if i make it now or even top 10 (new Entrails comes to mind... new Ghoul might be good too, and i'm rather curious of Trap Them).

so yeah, there's tons of stuff i still need to get a hold of, but for now this is my top 10:

10. Cianide - Gods of Death (Death metal.)
0001332892_350.jpg

More proof the band keeps pumping out good material. The best thing about Cianide is they're a lot like Bolt Thrower or Motorhead or Venom. You know exactly what you're getting each time, and they never branch out farther than they can manage, every album being just different enough from the last one to maintain interest while never completely turning on you. Though to be honest this is kind of just filler in my list, the first two tracks kick ***, the quality just drops a bit as the album goes on. Doesn't change how good the riffs are on some of these tracks- more Hellhammer like, primitive brutality from these guys. Hopefully they've got one more album in them after this!

9. Autopsy - Macabre Eternal (Death metal.)
autopsy.jpg

Now, Autopsy are my favorite band, but I don't think positive bias has anything to do with this album's place here. In fact, I think that means it's probably better than 9th place, since I'm pretty critical of bands I really like. But this album is just really good. Aside from one or two songs and the cleaner production, this album fits just fine between Severed Survival and Mental Funeral. I guess the production is too slick, I guess Chris can't squeeze out his legendary growls quite as consistently anymore, but the riffing on this thing is ****ing immense.

8. Maim - Deceased to Exist (Death metal worshiping old school Swedeath.)
297868.jpg

Honestly, Bastard Priest's description fits in here just as well. Nihilist, Carnage, Grave, and all bands like that come together here. It's not another Ghouls of the Endless Night or Epitome of Darkness, but it's not far off either.

7. Ulcerate - The Destroyers of All (Take a newer Neurosis album, get rid of any softer passages, and have a death metal band cover it.)
0001100161_350.jpg

A pure sonic wall of noise, dissonance, and brutality. Very few death metal bands manage to do anything prog-ish while still sounding good, especially in the last few years, and given how much I can compare this album to classics like Obscura or Close To A World Below, I'd say this stands head and shoulders above the rest of the modern prog death scene. This is not Autopsy or Deceased, so if you're going in expecting head banging catchy tunes you're not going to appreciate this at all. Listen to the two albums I mentioned earlier (Gorguts - Obscura and Immolation - Close To A World Below, in backwards order) to get a good feel on if you'll dig this or not.

6. Acid Witch - Stoned (Just read the description of the album, I can't sum this up in under a paragraph.)
acid-witch-stoned-cd.jpg

This album goes really well along with the two other gore fanatics this year, Ghoul and Macabre. Mid paced, catchy and slightly more melodic and clean than last time riffing that mixes death and doom metal with weed with a lot of organ interludes and thick bass lines. This whole album is a lot more cleaned up compared to last time (think like, Electric Wizard's Dopethrone compared to Black Masses), cleaner production that got rid of the annoying buzz on the vocals that almost killed Witchtanic Hellucinations for me, cleaned up guitars, and the organs actually play major parts in some songs instead of just leading or closing tracks. It's grown on me to the point I like it just as much as WH, just in a different way.

5. Coffins - Ancient Torture (Sludgey, dark death metal.)
1317379031_coffins-ancient-torture-2011.jpg

I guess two compilations is kind of cheating but oh well. Coffins play really barbaric, primitive death metal most comparable to the earliest recordings by Asphyx (The Rack and Embrace the Death namely), Mental Funeral era Autopsy, and the like. But they also have a really thick, sludgey atmosphere and style to them that separates them from most of the more standard death metal acts running around. This is a compilation of all their b sides, vinyl only tracks, EPs, the like. And considering how hard most of that stuff is to track down this is a welcome addition to their discography and not filler like a lot of compilations are.

4. Grave - Necropsy - The Complete Demo Recordings (Death metal on most of it, death/thrash on the earliest tracks chronologically.)
grave-necropsy-the-complete-demos-1986-1991-3-lp-3-lp.jpg

Yeah, this is a demo compilation it doesn't count blah blah blah. Suck my dick Grave are better than whatever ******** you like so they deserve the spot.

This is a really great compilation partly just because it's really cool to hear their earliest recordings from when they were just a Slayer derivative leading up to the stuff just before they released the ****ing legendary Into the Grave. Mandatory for fans of early Swedeath, and recommended for death metal fans in general- though if you don't already like Grave get this along with their first effort, Into the Grave.

3. Bastard Priest - Ghouls of the Endless Night (Nihilist worship type death metal.)
1318217020_1318198735_bastard.jpg

This is even better than the bands last album, Under the Hammer of Destruction, which was already pretty sick. This could really be my favorite death metal album of the last 10 years, there's only a few contenders. This is best described as a mixture of Nihilist and Repulsion with some punk snot in there. You could say this band is stuck in the past and are too derivative but **** you you probably put Deicide in your top 10 for this year so you have no room to talk.

2. 40 Watt Sun - The Inside Room (Think a doom metal band covering singer song writer type stuff.)
40%20Watt%20Sun%20-%20The%20Inside%20Room%20-%20CD.jpg

A lot to follow up on from Warning. So how do 40 Watt Sun go about showing up Watching From A Distance? They ditch pretty much everything that made them a "traditional" doom band, but kept the guitar tone and thick, clean production. This effort feels a lot more organic compared to Watching From A Distance, and Pat's vocal performance got an improvement in that he manages a bit more control and balance compared to on WFAD, where occasionally he got a bit screechy. Altogether this feels like a perfectly natural progression from where Warning left off and will likely be the peak of any Patrick Walker project in my opinion.

1. Vektor - Outer Isolation (Thrash metal with a lot of other influences, most notably 70's progressive rock and black metal.)
318576.jpg

Not as good as Black Future, but only by a very, very small margin. My only complaint is that there's a single filler track and three rerecordings, but considering two of those rerecordings are a pair of the best tracks on the album ("Tetrastructural Minds" and "Venus Project") I don't have much of a problem with this. More scifi techy thrash goodness, with perhaps a bit more emphasis on the thrash and less on the experimental side of the band this time around.

when i do a fuller list i'll do honorable mentions, disappointments, etc.

Agarth

Mad Breeder
Damn good call gotta see which albums where my favorites this year. They are in random order!

220px-Mastodon-The_Hunter.jpg

When I heard Black Tongue the first time I just extremely excited for The Hunter and I must say it's an awesome album. Not really like the old stuff but it's so catchy and it just listens away :)

Chimaira_%E2%88%9E_The_Age_of_Hell.jpg

My old teenhood metalcore band came with the track Year of the Snake and I was sold. Really the Chimaira sound I love and hope they will continue since Matt and Rob are now in SFU (Which is an awesome band aswell)

298851.jpg

We Are The Band is a band I just recently discovered when I was on the hunt for Death 'N Roll bands like SFU and Entombed. I was suprised they hysterical music is quite soothing and yea they are so serious!

Deconstruction_%28The_Devin_Townsend_Project_album%29_cover.jpg

The Devster is back with an awesome album although Ghost is good aswell I like his more aggressive Deconstruction a bit more, especially the songs Sumeria and Juular are superb. And ofcourse with titles like The Big Mastrubator whats not to love about Devy's sillyness :D

Amon_Amarth_Surtur_Rising_album_cover.jpg

One of my favorite bands with their new album. Ever since I heard War of the Gods on youtube I was sold. Typical Amon Amarth style and it's good, though I still like Twilight of the Thunder God abit more this album is still killer!

Rise-to-remain-city-of-vultures-20110806161646.jpg

Seen these guys live twice this year and so for I'm impressed. Their album isnt bad, not bad at all for a first CD they still can grow alot and young mister Dickinson actually inherited his fathers love for music!

MegadethThirteen.jpg

Saw them live at the Sonisphere festival and it was nice, wasn't a big Megadeth before but they convinced me big time there! Also this album is way better then that atrocious album from Metallica and Lou Reed! +1 Megadeth!

Machine_Head_-_Unto_the_Locust.jpg

Machine Heads album really suprised me. Even though it's straight up Machine Head the feel and sound of you is just superb. When I listen to it I just never get bored!

Thats about it, I've prolly forgotten a few albums but these are ones that stood out!

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
Seeing the top tens in this thread makes mine look like a joke but what the 'ell, I'll post it anyway. No order, just albums I would consider the best of this year:
Mastadon- The Hunter
Turisas - Stand Up and Fight
Moonsorrow- Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa
Stratovarius- Elysium
Iced Earth- Dystopia
Amon Amarth- Sutur Rising
Edguy- Age of the Joker
Vektor- Cosmic Cortex
Rhapsody- From Chaos to Eternity
Dark Forest- Dawn of Infinity

Edguy, Iced Earth, and Stratovarius are on there mostly cause they marked a good comeback from all three bands after the shitfest of their previous albums, and its not exactly genre fixed cause I'll take anything that goes will with my ears.

mitchman you know the Vektor album is called "Outer Isolation", not "Cosmic Vortex", right?

also Fastkill have a new album this month which may take Cianide's spot on the list. didn't even know they were writing. one of the better new thrash bands.

speaking of new thrash bands, have you heard of Hypnosia hammerheart? i think you'd dig them. they're a bit older than most new thrash bands, forming in 1995 and releasing their album in 2000, but still. Swedish death/thrash:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yLiSLr9G3k

it's like Pleasure to Kill era Kreator, only not boring, so more like Morbid Saint i guess!

Manly Blissey

I decided to make a list of my top 20 metal albums of 2011, and they're in no particular order because I'm a very indecisive person. Oh, and there are a couple of metalcore albums in the list, so shut up.

Falls of Rauros — The Light that Dwells in Rotten Wood
Turisas — Stand Up and Fight
Stratovarius — Elysium
Anathema — Falling Deeper
Dark Forest — Dawn of Infinity
The Gates of Slumber — The Wretch
StormWarrior — Heathen Warrior
Protest the Hero — Scurrilous
Wolves in the Throne Room — Celestial Lineage
Exhumed — All Guts, No Glory
Malefice — Awaken the Tides
Amon Amarth —Surtur Rising
Vektor — Outer Isolation
Týr — The Lay of Thrym
Edguy — Age of the Joker
While Heaven Wept — Fear of Infinity
Texas in July — One Reality
40 Watt Sun — The Inside Room
We Came as Romans — Understanding What We've Grown to Be
Falkenbach — Tiurida

There you have it. Sorry to those I offend.

Last edited: