• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Whilst it is 22 minutes, I feel there's not an awful lot goes on. There a handful of clearly defined sections. The Ambientish build up, the blast beat section, the slow raspy bm, verse like section, then the more melodic bit etc.

I just feel a lot of people lower their standards because of who it is.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Posted?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEsT9z5HSiI
God damn is the wait for the album gonna be painful.
I want to like it. But I struggle to get excited for thrash in general. It's a bit heavier than I was expecting, like it could have been on The Gathering.
It's got that sort of melo-death riff style that the last couple of Kreator albums had, and I don't know if it's because metalcore bands have ripped of that style so much, but I just don't get anywhere near the same buzz from that style that I used to.
Still, it's not terrible. Just not where I am musically I don't think.

Hammerheart's sentiments about that new Testament song are basically the same as mine, which coincidentally are my same feelings on the new Kreator album, though i haven't even heard the whole thing. don't need to when they've basically released the same album over and over since Violent Revolution.

can't stress enough new Nekromantheon as far as thrash this year goes, if you want raw, dirty, thrash for the sake of being thrash.

oh and also Kreator themselves have praised bands like the Haunted and Carnal Forge if i remember correctly, so no, it's not just an indirect "influence" you're hearing, they're really making an attempt at mixing that into their sound. the slick production on the last few records doesn't help them either.

most of the thrash i listen to these days though is just stuff that borders on raw black/death with the exception of a few bands (Razor, Voivod, Coroner), so i'm biased, though.

Last edited:

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
Wait what style that metalcore bands have? Sorta outta the loop in that department, and from what I'm hearing that's for the better, but my curiosity is building up.

not heard new Periphery and not planning to.

and at mitchman: most metalcore bands just play bad Slayer/Metallica riffs mixed with At the Gates/In Flames melodies, so that's where comparisons tend to come from. at least if we're talking about modern metalcore and not Earth Crisis etc.

and i've been mostly listening to Beherit and The Devil's Blood the last week or so.

double post / bump because new baroness is actually not half bad (by this is mean that disc 1 is utter trash and disc 2 is actually reasonably decent).

savatoreloaded

double post / bump because new baroness is actually not half bad (by this is mean that disc 1 is utter trash and disc 2 is actually reasonably decent).

What do you think was miss about the first disk? Just wondering, I haven't listened to it yet but I loved Blue album and was looking forward to this release.

yellow was just generally terrible music. i saw someone say something to the effect of them trying "songwriting over riffs", and that their songwriting sucks; i pretty much agree with that. disc 2 is almost prog rock iirc (it's been a few days since i listened to it, it's evaporated mostly now) which went down much better with me.

tl;dr their eps are still their best work.

edit: good nz black metal

Last edited:

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
Just watched the 2008 documentary Until the Light Takes Us about the "Inner Circle" black metal scene in Norway. It didn't have much that a fan of the scene wouldn't already know, but it was intriguing nonetheless. Fenriz of Darkthrone and Varg of Burzum were the two main interviewees, and surprisingly Varg was the most outspoken and came across as very intelligent (albeit a little wacko here and there). It saddened me a little that guys like Frost of Satyricon and Demonaz of Immortal came across as dumb teenagers that never really grew out of "that stage." Fenriz made a few interesting remarks, namely about how he loved electronic and pop music but refused to incorporate them into the Darkthrone sound as other artists would because he wanted to stay true to the original idea of the band. He also had a few great comments about black metal as a "trend" and how lots of black metal during and since that era in the early 90s strayed from what these guys in the "Inner Circle" were trying to accomplish.

Early on in the film, Varg mentioned that he, among others, had come from a primarily white town with mostly middle class people and very little crime. Regardless of Varg's belief in "restoring Norwegian culture," he and some others ended up just making things worse. And I had to take everything he said with a grain of salt; why not focus on more major world issues? I guess he could argue that religion has become one.

Soundtrack was wonderful though; a mixture of black metal from that era and a score of modern electronic music.

Until the Light Takes us is a decent enough documentary, and i always appreciate whatever Fenriz has to say. and i'm not surprised he likes electronic music, a lot of the black metal artists from that time listened to stuff like 70's Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream (see: Mayhem using a composition by Tangerine Dream for their intro to Deathcrush, Beherit using electronic interludes on their black metal stuff and going full on electronic in the middle of their career, etc).

i've never seen a documentary or read anything that's supposed to be some kind of metal history that left me truly satisfied, though. a lot of the "renowned" ones like Get Thrashed or Global Metal are particularly bad. though i'm interested in Daniel Ekeroth's book on Swedish Death Metal, and i read Lords of Chaos awhile ago and thought it was alright.

speaking of Fenriz and documentaries, it isn't really a documentary, but anyone interested in the history of black metal in terms of the bands and not the drama around it should check out this video. 30 minute video covering 90% of black metal history, from the 80's stuff (Venom, Bathory, bestial Brazilian bands like Sarcofago and such) to around the mid 90's i think, it's been awhile since i've watched it. he leaves out stuff like Von and Blasphemy and it's perhaps more biased towards the Norwegian stuff once you get into the 90's, but it's a decent enough watch for 30 minutes. unfortunately the whole thing isn't on youtube as the whole thing is 50 minutes, but that 30 minute clip covers a lot. i think it might be an extra from Until The Light Takes Us, actually.

if that doesn't leave you satisfied enough he did a compilation album with a bunch of bands that inspired black metal like Destruction etc, as well as a few new bands that are keeping the style alive like Aura Noir.

tl;dr FENRIZ
[img139]http://i.imgur.com/W5AFF.gif[/img139]

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Have you ever hear Neptune Towers? Fenriz electronic project that was very Tangerine Dream influenced.

I thought Until The Light Takes us was very interesting. I think it gave a nice insight to the people themselves rather than the notoriety and drama.
I always enjoy reading and listening to Varg. He's a complete nutcase, but he always has interesting things to say. Like the bit (that might be a bonus feature) where he talks about how his contempt for the weak started in school where he felt held back by people with less ability.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
speaking of Fenriz and documentaries, it isn't really a documentary, but anyone interested in the history of black metal in terms of the bands and not the drama around it should check out this video. 30 minute video covering 90% of black metal history, from the 80's stuff (Venom, Bathory, bestial Brazilian bands like Sarcofago and such) to around the mid 90's i think, it's been awhile since i've watched it. he leaves out stuff like Von and Blasphemy and it's perhaps more biased towards the Norwegian stuff once you get into the 90's, but it's a decent enough watch for 30 minutes. unfortunately the whole thing isn't on youtube as the whole thing is 50 minutes, but that 30 minute clip covers a lot. i think it might be an extra from Until The Light Takes Us, actually.

I've seen it. Fenriz is definitely a character, but he knows his way around music. I'm glad they chose him to follow around for a good portion of the documentary rather than Frost or the guys from Immortal.

Have you ever hear Neptune Towers? Fenriz electronic project that was very Tangerine Dream influenced.

I'm gonna have to check that out. And I agree on Varg; he's fascinating and a couple of his albums have grown on me lately, but my conscience really hates it whenever I listen to him haha.