• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Sod it, Music is music, and anything else is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. Det Som En Gang Var is without doubt black metal's finest quarter of an hour. And I feel to deprive your self of such wondrous music based on a factor irrelevant to the music itself is ludicrous.

The amount of incredible music I listen to from bands who have supposed NS beliefs is quite high, from the Blazebirth Hall Bunch to the Pagan Front Lot, and a few other associated bands in-between. But I can seperate music from politics. I'm sure there are shop owners who have differing views to me, but I wouldn't not shop there because we disagreed on an issue. So Why shouldn't I listen to the music?

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
Sod it, Music is music, and anything else is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. Det Som En Gang Var is without doubt black metal's finest quarter of an hour. And I feel to deprive your self of such wondrous music based on a factor irrelevant to the music itself is ludicrous.

Hvis Hyset Tar Oss is my favorite.

Burzum was so "branded" to me because Varg was the first (and the only one that I listen to) artist that I listened to that had done something so extreme. I can get over an artist being an *** in everyday life, I just find it a little hard in this case. I agree that Varg's personal life and music should be separate, but Burzum's legacy is forever intertwined with Varg's actions and beliefs.

to be honest i don't think i can name a single artist whom i listen to who's personal believes and life i agree with... though to be fair i can't really describe most artist's personal lives. maybe some liberal punk/thrash/grind band like Napalm Death or Nuclear Assault i could get along with.

and i've not listened to Neptune Towers myself, mostly because i don't think it would be fair to listen to it without any experience with the type of stuff it's a homage to (if anyone itt wants to recommend me some Kraftwerk or Tangerine Dream they can feel free by the way).

as far as the music of second wave black metal goes i tend to steer away from most Norwegian stuff. most artists in that style i find tend to have one or two decent albums and many, many mediocre ones. the exceptions would i guess be Enslaved (who's career is flawless), and to a lesser extent Darkthrone (who tend to have a 50/50 on having good albums). and Burzum, but more because they're just mediocre at best and then really bad at average. then you have the Swedish scene which is a mixture of stuff that far surpasses anything the Norwegians did (Dissection, Sacramentum) and absolute crap (Marduk after their first album, Dark Funeral etc).

as a whole i really just prefer first wave and bestial stuff to second wave. i appreciate some second wave bands like Immortal and Satyricon for getting me into black metal but they never left a lasting impression on me at all.

I find that often get's confusing that the title track from Det som is on a different album.
never got why bands do that.

Carcass did the same thing, put the song Reek of Putrefaction on the Symphonies of Sickness.

Last edited:

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I'd say the Man Machine, Autobahn and Trans Europe Express for Kraftwerk.
Underwater Sunlight is my favourite by Tangerine Dream, but not typical of their sound as a whole. The live album 'Encore' is worth hearing.

You can thank me later :p

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
I was on about the song rather than the album. Hvis Hyset Tar Oss is probably his best album, with Det Som being the best track. I find that often get's confusing that the title track from Det som is on a different album.

Filosofem is really good as well.

and i've not listened to Neptune Towers myself, mostly because i don't think it would be fair to listen to it without any experience with the type of stuff it's a homage to (if anyone itt wants to recommend me some Kraftwerk or Tangerine Dream they can feel free by the way).

Zeit and Phaedra are two that sound similar, the latter being Tangerine Dream's most famous work (besides the soundtrack to that one Tom Cruise movie). I listened to Caravans to Empire Algol and it just was not my kind of thing. Never been a fan of any "dark ambient" music, besides that long instrumental track on Filosofem if I'm in the mood for it.

Underwater Sunlight is my favourite by Tangerine Dream, but not typical of their sound as a whole. The live album 'Encore' is worth hearing.

That's a good one, and very underrated too. Probably the most new-agey album that I can enjoy.

I love Children of Bodom and In Flames, but I don't know much more than them.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Filosofem is really good as well.

Zeit and Phaedra are two that sound similar, the latter being Tangerine Dream's most famous work (besides the soundtrack to that one Tom Cruise movie). I listened to Caravans to Empire Algol and it just was not my kind of thing. Never been a fan of any "dark ambient" music, besides that long instrumental track on Filosofem if I'm in the mood for it.

That's a good one, and very underrated too. Probably the most new-agey album that I can enjoy.
Aye, Filosofem and Hvis are the only two albums I listen to, but they are both magnificent.

Risky Business is a great film. I seem to have been going through a bit of an 80's film phase, and that's one of the ones I've recently watched.

MrZurkon

I'm glad I'm not the only metalhead in this community! I enjoy a lot of Thrash, Melodic Death, Groove, Industrial and Progressive Metal, but I was never too much of a fan of Black Metal. Some of my favorite metal bands are Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Metallica (Obligatory Big 4), Testament, Iron Maiden, Devin Townsend, Dream Theater, Meshuggah, Fear Factory, Dethklok, Children of Bodom, Between The Buried and Me, Pantera, Machine Head, Strapping Young Lad, Tool, Death, Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Baroness, Dark Tranquility and Gojira.

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
Some of my favorite metal bands are Dream Theater, Tool, Porcupine Tree
good man

speaking of dream theater i just got this:

[img139]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7131/7559197798_1321b9abc3_z.jpg[/img139]

i've been listening to a LOT of Hooded Menace's first album lately.

[video=youtube;9ur-7vGY1W4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ur-7vGY1W4[/video]

crushing death ****ing doom with a surprising amount of melody (you may like it because of that dion).

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
RISE FROM THE DEAD! Ahem....
Posting cause of the concert last night, Firewind+ 4 local support groups. The 4 groups were pretty good, nothing special.
Psycho Choke was death and the most popular act, ****ing mosh pits everywhere in a 100 head crowd, all to fast gripping death.
Everflow was prog, personal favorite out of the 4. Pretty good stuff, and their debut album last year was pretty good for what it was worth.
Didn't hear 4biten, but the name says it all. Not exactly the best, if you catch my drift.
Corruption was by the dozen metal. Nothing special.
Firewind was firewind. 2 hours of fast rifts, awesome chorus bits, and the added bonus of being local meant the crowd was pretty ****ing awesome for 500 heads or so. Got to chat with the Keyboardist, and got a pick from him. Turn's out however it was Gus G's, so I'm in like....7th heaven. Also got autographs on Allegiance when they did some signings the night before. Pretty great 2 days overall, getting to meet them and all.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
I'm glad I'm not the only metalhead in this community! I enjoy a lot of Thrash, Melodic Death, Groove, Industrial and Progressive Metal, but I was never too much of a fan of Black Metal. Some of my favorite metal bands are Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Metallica (Obligatory Big 4), Testament, Iron Maiden, Devin Townsend, Dream Theater, Meshuggah, Fear Factory, Dethklok, Children of Bodom, Between The Buried and Me, Pantera, Machine Head, Strapping Young Lad, Tool, Death, Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Baroness, Dark Tranquility and Gojira.

Just pointing out some of the nice ones on there. May not have heard them all, but whatever.

Also, has anyone got some good Prog Metal bands apart from Dream Theater (who, from I understand, are Prog Metal in some bits) I could start listening to?

RISE FROM THE DEAD!
ATTACK FROM THE GRAVE, THE KILLING WON'T STOP 'TIL FI-oh
Also, has anyone got some good Prog Metal bands apart from Dream Theater (who, from I understand, are Prog Metal in some bits) I could start listening to?
other people will be able to name more prog than me since i don't like most of it but check these out:
Voivod - Nothingface
Coroner - Mental Vortex
Vektor - Black Future
Fates Warning - The Spectre Within
Blind Illusion - The Sane Asylum
Nevermore - The Politics of Ecstasy

i imagine most Dream Theater fans should be able to get down with some early traditional/doom albums, so look these up too:
Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead
Pagan Altar - Volume 1
Trouble - Psalm 9
Angel Witch - Angel Witch
Pentagram - Relentless

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
^All of them were pretty good. Fates Warning was probably my favourite.

MrZurkon

You'd also might enjoy Devin Townsend and Porcupine Tree if you like Dream Theater.

Porcupine Tree - Fear of A Blank Planet
Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine: Bio Mech, Addicted, Ziltoid The Omniscient or Deconstruction

Who's looking forward to The Dethalbum III?