• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

Zantera, if you haven't made any more progress with Swans yet, i'd check out Cop, Children of God, and White Light From the Mouth of Infinity. those are my three favourites and they give a good grasp of their sound across the years.

primitive man is an interesting second 2013 album to come across. absolutely filthy sludge.
that sounds pretty okay actually.

have you tried Iron Monkey? Our Problem is probably in my top three sludge albums.

[video=youtube;MQmrChMHfr0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQmrChMHfr0[/video]

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Well I actually discovered Deftones this year, I had known about them before, but this new album was my first album by the band.
There's something about their style that really appeals to me, crushing riffs that can be heavy and "in your face" as hell, but also a lot of great melodies, and more softer/mellow songs. I've only had time to check out two other albums by the band, "Diamond Eyes" the previous album, which is a bit similar to the new one, and "White Pony", considered their best album by most people, which is a bit more experimental.
I really dig all of them tbh.
For me that's what didn't work. I kind of liked the alt rock bits, but the heaviness spoiled it I thought.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
Don't even know if I could produce a 2012 top 10 if only cause I've been gone from the scene far too long. And if I did, it would be a bit weak in front of the other top 10s. A lot of them are recent too, cause the mid 2012 period is nothing for me. In random order, with notes.

1.Flotsam and Jetsam- Ugly Noise

Some pure thrash with no reason to hate it. Sure its a bit generic but its good to see some 80s style thrash still thriving. A great end of the year romp. The lyrics are a bit tedious, but they grow on you.
2.Angelwitch- As Above So Below.

I started the year hating it. So much. I dunno what came over me those days, but the album was barely listenable for me. Now though........I love it. I dunno if I gone back to the roots of my listening, but its gotten so much better for me now. Into the Dark is one of the best songs this year if not the best. That main background bass, good lord.
3.Candlemass- Psalms For The Dead
What can I say. Last candlemass album, but a damn good final go at it. And I dunno what it is about Candlemass and females, but Waterwitch like Bloody Baroness is a ****ing masterpiece of melodic brilliance for doom metal. Oh and Psalm of the Dead has to be illegal in some countries, so moving. And remember..............TIME IS BLACK.
4.Tankard- A Girl Called Cerveza
Another Thrash Band that delivered this year. By the end of this list I'll be at 3. I think we all know who's is the 3rd, but that's for later. Now its Tankard time! Its heavy, its brash, and its as close as it gets to "pure" thrash. Son of a Fridge also has to be the best song title. XD Metal Magnolia is the closest thing to a serious song on the album though, but at least it delivers.
5.Enslaved- RIITIIR
I **** you guys not but there is a black metal album indeed on this list. Something bout this album man. I dunno what it is, but they've still got it.
Roots of the Mountain is the peak of the album for me, with the album namer a close second. While its more melodic, roots of the mountain has a more memorable tune for some reason.
6.Manowar- Lords of Steel
And now for something completely different! Manowarriors is a god awful pun, but the songs pretty catchy, Touch the Sky offers the kind of metal you need for a pick me up, and Annihilation is the high point. The album doesn't soar, but it almost gets there with this song. Also El Gringo has to be a god sent piece of metal, the lyrics, the melody, and the overall tune lives up to that title. He's a loner, in a lonely word, full of hate.
7.Dragonforce- Power Within
I am dead serious. I said my top 10 will suck, and I'm assuming this will be the breaking point for most of you to banish me and cause a massive flame war. But screw that, Dragonforce was awesome this year. Power Within is something above the other albums, a more refined experience, an album rather then a song listening to. I can't comment on 3-4 songs like the other albums cause this is the one album on this list that I hold all equal. Yes even more so then Enslaved. Cry Thunder still gives me chills though, even after the 5000th listen.
8. Testament- Dark Roots of Earth
All bow, all hail, the king has arrived. Album of the Year right here ladies and gentlemen, acknowledge it. Like Dragonforce I have so much to say but can't. However I do have some songs that stand out. Dark Roots of the Earth is the shing jewel of the album, with good pacing and a general melody that works. Cold Embrace, damn. Just sublime, perfect mix of thrash with a lighter note of metal, almost rock. Man kills mankind is the speedy song of the album, with some kick to it that lasts.
9. Paradise Lost- A Tragic Idol
Another doom album worthy for my top 10. Bit more experimental then candlemass, but its some good metal. Crucify raises the bar as for what to expect from the rest of the album, and it rises from there on out. Theories from another world is one of those songs, and a solid listen. And A Glorious End is indeed that. Quite a finishing song for the album. Melodic, meaningful, and it works.
10. Firewind- Few Against Many

Aw yeah, some proper heavy metal to finish this list. Probably my most listened to album this year, bar Testament. Gained a new respect for them this year, 3 concerts in 6 months can do that to someone, and Gus G's pick too, and the album doesn't disappoint. Opening with Wall of Sound it starts out great and gets better. First time a title song doesn't get me, but its okay. Glorious does wonders in terms of completeness, its just so whole. The album tops at Long gone Tomorrow for me.

So yeah, I guess I did get a top 10 out of 2012 after all. Surprised cause I thought there was less, and it took me a while to get through everything I haven't heard.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
But overall, thus far I'd call this year satisfying. We haven't had a St. Anger or a Metal Machine Music or a Lungs this year that I can identify to this point. Maybe in certain other circles I don't listen to a whole lot, but it'd be hard to expect me to find those, then, wouldn't it?
Yes it would. For me personally Ensiferum ****ed up big time with Unsung Heroes. Even more perhaps then St. Anger, or even more recent would be Hamerfall's last 2 albums. What the hell happened, nobody knows. Also completely blind sided the fact that saint vitus has a new album. Might have to do some re-ordering.
Edit: Missing Candlemass' album isn't surprising, kinda missed it as well. And yeah do listen its nothing short of great, one of the better albums.

Last edited:

Ame

僕は音楽家 電卓片手に
Wintersun, Eluveitie, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Septic Flesh, Turisas, Nightwish (pre-anette)...

That sort of thing...

new fen and cult of luna are alright, primitive man (linked at top of page) is not bad at all, and palm desert is pretty good stoner rock. those are the only four i have.

also for what it's worth, i flicked through metalstorm to see what's coming out in jan-feb. voivod is the only thing i was interested in that i didn't already have. it's going to be a very slow start to the year, so if you want good 2013 music i'd be trying pretty much anything you might find interesting.

also for what it's worth, i flicked through metalstorm to see what's coming out in jan-feb. voivod is the only thing i was interested in that i didn't already have. it's going to be a very slow start to the year, so if you want good 2013 music i'd be trying pretty much anything you might find interesting.

Not necessarily interested so much in 2013 music as I am in good music, it's just that last year started off quite good (Alcest and Sunpocrisy were released almost at the beginning of the year iirc), so I was just curious of this year was off to a similar start. Nonetheless, I'll give the stuff you mentioned a listen.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
For me personally Ensiferum ****ed up big time with Unsung Heroes. Even more perhaps then St. Anger, or even more recent would be Hamerfall's last 2 albums. What the hell happened, nobody knows.

Damn. That's pretty impressive, then, that someone can make an album that sounds that bad at least. Then again, I own Vapor Trails, Stadium Arcadium, and some of the worst-sounding of the 1995 Frank Zappa CDs. So, maybe not that hard to make an album with sound quality that ***-o-rific. Wouldn't know about the arrangements, mind you.

Also completely blind sided the fact that saint vitus has a new album. Might have to do some re-ordering.

Good lord, I forgot about that entirely, too. Looks like I need to go fix that.

Not necessarily interested so much in 2013 music as I am in good music, it's just that last year started off quite good (Alcest and Sunpocrisy were released almost at the beginning of the year iirc), so I was just curious of this year was off to a similar start. Nonetheless, I'll give the stuff you mentioned a listen.
yeah samaroid dioramas was one of the first 2012 albums i got iirc. last year was definitely off to a good start.

also i do tend to link you when i find good stuff come on :p

since a couple people are talking about it, Saint Vitus' 2012 album is really good. though it's way way way too short.

Hammerheart said:
And I still can't get on with the angel witch.
are you talking about just the new album or all their stuff? their newest album actually strikes me as something you'd like a lot. i thought it was good, if surprisingly ambitious for them.