• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

Doodles

Espurr will HM01 you
New generation metal? That's a new phrase on me. I'll be honest everything about that project screams avoid to me. But then it's not really my cuppa. I quite liked System of a Down back in the early 00's, sort of around 2003. Never cared for Steal this Album, but the Self Titled and Toxicity got a lot of love back then. Sort of went of them over the years though.

And at least give that song I linked, Vilify, a chance. That way you can probably know for sure whether or not you'll like it. It's got a bit more of an electronic vibe than Disturbed's stuff. Not enough to scream techno or dubstep by any means however.

DragonDance

thrasher
Anyone hear about Device? The singer from Disturbed, David Draiman, put together this supergroup. It's got the guitarist from Dope, the drummer from Evanescence, and of course David himself. Their first album is releasing in two days, the ninth, and it's got one heck of a line of guest stars. Lzzy Hale from Halestorm in one song, Serj Tankian <3 from System of a Down in another, M. Shadows from A7X, Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine. . . It's gonna be amazing for anyone, like myself, that loves new generation metal. :D

Edit: This is a single that's already out. Fair warning though, it's got a bit of swearing in it! Vilify - Device

That sounds awful, to be quite honest. Not even clicking that link. Not a single element in that entices me to want to.

I'll just sit here and wait patiently for the new Behemoth album, while listening to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKbIsVsA_7E

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Ever listen to any of Serj's solo stuff, without SOAD? That's my favorite. <3 Lie Lie Lie, Empty Walls, Sky is Over, Unthinking Majority, everything from Harakiri, the list goes on and on. :)
For me it's the likes of Peephole, Darts, Ddevil, Jet Pilot, Prison Song, and then your singles in Toxicity, Aerials and Chop Suey.

And at least give that song I linked, Vilify, a chance. That way you can probably know for sure whether or not you'll like it. It's got a bit more of an electronic vibe than Disturbed's stuff. Not enough to scream techno or dubstep by any means however.
I listened to it at some point last month. It just sounds like Disturbed with a less interesting music, really bland music that I think is more routed in an aesthetic appreciation of the rhythm and being 'heavy' despite not actually being that heavy.

That sounds awful, to be quite honest. Not even clicking that link. Not a single element in that entices me to want to.

I'll just sit here and wait patiently for the new Behemoth album, while listening to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKbIsVsA_7E

I like the first trio of tracks on Demigod, but apart from that I don't get the fuss.
What I will say though was they were pretty damn awesome at bloodstock last year. Fantastic Stage Show.
[video=youtube;mKmQxgqk_rA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKmQxgqk_rA[/video]

psychonerderer

I really liked the first soad, but everywhere i went after toxicity came out people listening to chop suey on repeat ALL F****** DAY! and then, yeah, Lies, Lies, Lies! is pretty sweet. they could also do silly-serious really, really well. look at that pic, and tell me serji isnt trying to rip off frank zappa... im gonna let it slide, though.

Purple_Tangrowth

A DRUM, A DRUM!...
do you know the fine djentleman from Russia, The Korea?
Well they released an EP a bit ago and.. well lets say that they're headed in a sumeriancore direction (not that i hate all sumeriancore). Weird hardcore clean vocals, even more generic riffs, bothering programming...

Here's something better by them
[video=youtube;TKbJLV7wjPw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKbJLV7wjPw[/video]

EDIT
Listened to all of the device album and tbh, i would rather listen to black veil brides

Last edited:

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I'm not, I'm just generally curious as to how me not liking music that people have posted offends them. At the end of the day whilst music by it's very nature is objective, interpretation is subjective. People have different standards and like different things, and as such judge music differently. If I was offended every time someone didn't like a band I did I'd be constantly furious and probably have some sort of mental breakdown as I couldn't cope with the stress of it all.

if you have a problem with people bashing the music you like, just deal w/ it. opinions differ, people express theirs in different ways, it's going to happen.

also there is some very good djent out there, nemertines being a prime example. positively dripping with atmosphere.

also re: soad; all of their albums are decent, all of them have a handful of very good songs, and i do quite like them. i just don't listen to them very much anymore.

DragonDance

thrasher
All "djent" is bad. No exceptions. If I want to listen to Meshuggah, I'll listen to Meshuggah. And Meshuggah really isn't even that great.

I like the first trio of tracks on Demigod, but apart from that I don't get the fuss.
What I will say though was they were pretty damn awesome at bloodstock last year. Fantastic Stage Show.

Satanica was one of the first extreme metal albums I really liked, and it's still one of my favourite of all time. The last three albums have all been great, imo.

Last edited:

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
There's a band called Àrsaidh (the guy behind this used to be Askival, and was in Falloch), and his first album is coming out soon.
It's going going to be essential for anyone into atmospheric black metal, and especially those with an appreciation for the folkier side of the genre. Some of the tastiest inclusions of folk instruments in metal I've come across since the last Темнозорь album.
Here's the first track from it.
[video=youtube;aZQ9blr65uk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=aZQ9blr65uk[/video]