• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories)
TesseracT - Altered States
The Dillinger Escape Plan - One of Us is the Killer
Intronaut - Habitual Levitations (Instilling Words With Tones)
Rorcal - Világvége
Altar of Plagues - Teethed Glory and Injury
Regarde Les Hommes Tomber - Regarde Les Hommes Tomber
The Ocean - Pelagial
The Fall of Every Season - Amends
Fister - Gemini

In no particular order.

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
i have only heard like

four new albums this year. pretty keen for opeth and dream theater's next though, hopefully they'll both be out this year

Zantera

I'm a huge fan of Opeth, but my expectations aren't that high. Heritage was a big fan-divider, and I know some people really hated it, while some really liked it. To me, it was a decent album. It's not awesome, it's not bad, it's just sort of middle of the road. They can probably make a better album within that "style", but I don't feel as excited as I did before Heritage came out. It's possible that I'm just loosing a bit interest in the band, and I don't see them topping their best albums.

As for Dream Theater, I will probably listen, but it's not something I think about too much. I really like Scenes From a Memory, Awake and 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence, sadly I don't think the band has done a single album since, that has been even OK. I really dislike 90-95% of what they have put out since, and while the last album had at least two good songs (breaking all illusions, beneath the surface), but otherwise I'm not really feeling it anymore.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Heritage was the album that sort of killed what little interest I had left in Opeth. It's amazing how far they fell considering the high regard I held them in.

As for Dream Theater, post 6D I kind of agree. The title track from Octovarium was the best thing they ever did, but the rest of the album was so dull. And I feel thats the story of their career recently, a couple of amazing tracks and a lot of dream theater by numbers and modern metal dream theater. I bet I only listened to the last album 3 times if that.

As a tentative top ten for me only using full length albums

Àrsaidh - Roots
Fall out Boy - Save Rock and Roll
Fanisk - Insularum
Skagos - Anarchic
Soror Dolorosa - No More Heroes
Truthseekah - Spiritual Alchemy

and the rest aren't quite top tier but for the sake of making up the numbers

Dropkick Murphys - Signed and Sealed In Blood
Hard Skin - On The Balls
My Bloody Valentine - MBV
Screamer - Phoenix

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I've played Sunbather once, and it was pretty decent, but I think I need to give it more plays really. At the moment I feel a bit of a lack of staying power with it. One person I know compared it to either Winterfylleth or Fen which I can kind of see at times.

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
Mikael Akerfeldt has said that he's just sort of let his writing go, and there's a couple of songs that he's written that remind him of his Orchid / Morningrise styles. hopefully it's a bit fresher than anything else they've put out in a while and will really knock my socks off.

i actually agree with the Dream Theater comments, but I am interested to see how Mike Mangini actually writing for this album will turn out, i love that guy

my top 9 for the year:

1. the fall of every season - amends
2. steven wilson - the raven that refused to sing (and other stories)
3. intronaut - habitual levitations (instilling words with tones)
4. tesseract - altered state
5. the ocean - pelagial
6. in vain - aenigma
7. inter arma - sky burial
8. eremite - dragonarius
9. nero di marte - nero di marte

i have no idea what #10 would be so.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
It's a lot to take in, and I think the Shoegaze/Post-Rock-sound makes it more "rewarding" to get into. You keep discovering new things about it.

Were we listening to the same album, or am I taking you too literally? I really didn't feel there was much of a shoegaze influence at all. Post Rock maybe, though I guess I'd have to say it was more post-black metal, in as much as post rock takes rock elements and makes something new with them, and likewise this does the same with black metal.
This isn't meant as a pop at you as such, as I know you know you're stuff when it comes to a lot of music, but I do feel in the wake of the Alcest and the like (who as you know I think are superb, don't get me wrong), Shoegaze has become one of the most misused words in metal.

Zantera

Alright, do that! But like I said, I didn't get the shoegaze-vibe as much from the music, but rather the way it was mixed and how it sounds. Most shoegaze I know has that very "wall of sound"-mix, where it's kinda hard to hear at times, what instrument is playing what. Like a huge wall of sound that hits you in the face, and while in many other genres it's important to keep the instruments separated, in shoegaze it's almost more about the whole picture, and everything becomes a thick mist of sound.

I dunno, my explanation might sound weird. Anyhow, ordering the Vinyl and the CD soon. Awesome album.

Right now I'm listening to Motionless In White, pretty interesting

I really liked their first album. I recently got their newest one. I didnt get to listen to the whole thing yet but I can already tell it is probably going to be pretty different from the last one. Not in a bad way. Just different. Hopefully I dont hate it

Is anyone else exited for Summer Slaughter ? Thy Art Is Murder will have their America debut ^^

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Never really got the fuss with Converge, but then I never gave them a full album listen, so perhaps it might 'click' if I gave them more time. Am I right in thinking Jane Doe is their best?

I've been listening to a Dead Can Dance again today, decided to try the follow up album to Within the Realm of a Dying Sun, to see if it was a one off, on if there's a wealth of good music waiting for me. Having listened a good few times I can Definitely say The Serpents Egg is a fantastic album. Which is definitely up there with WtRoaDS.
[video=youtube;xpMNXEY_tio]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpMNXEY_tio[/video]