• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

Purple_Tangrowth

A DRUM, A DRUM!...
Probably their least metal album but the new Karnivool album is ****ing magnificant. Idk if the stream on their website's still up but I highly recommend you check it out

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Listened to two more 2013 releases today -- The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here and Asymmetry.

The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here is probably among the most anticipated releases this year, and I'll go ahead and just say that it's pretty average to me. The title track, "Choke" and a few others were nice, but overall... hmmm. It felt like it didn't have a whole lot to it, I guess.

As for Asymme--

Probably their least metal album but the new Karnivool album is ****ing magnificant. Idk if the stream on their website's still up but I highly recommend you check it out

Basically, this. It's a really, really good album, with some very nice technical bits to it, but I do suppose that, yes, this is Karnivool at their lightest, arguably. Not that they're not still heavy.

edit: Not metal by any stretch, but Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' Push the Sky Away is a pretty good listen. No one track really sticks out, though, I guess, but it's still quite enjoyable.

edit 2: Also not metal by any stretch, but Adam Ant's ...is the Blueblack Hussar in Marrying the Gunner's Daughter is ... well, I have about 20-25 minutes of it left, and it's not terribly special, in my opinion. It has a few nice songs, but a lot of it is just not terribly special. I'm kind of impressed, though, that he actually made another album after, what, twenty years? If I hadn't known about it, it'd be pretty much out of left field. I'm not sure I could call much of it "bad," honestly, just not really for me.

Last edited:

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I've listened to a trio of Quebecois black metal releases from this year.

Started with the Gris album À l'Âme Enflammée, l'Äme Constellée... It didn't instantly blow me away, but I think will reveal more of itself with subsequent listens.

Then moved onto Sombres Forêts's album La Mort du Soleil. This left me a little cold if I'm honest, I felt a lack of dynamics or emotion. It just like a cold sterile album. There's certainly bits that are interesting, but it didn't make me want to listen again the way Gris' offering did.

And finally I'm listening to Csejthe's Réminiscence. It's probably the most typically black metal of the three, but it just works really well, thick textures, nice melody, great production. I'm finding it holds my interest more than the other two despite them being more 'out there'.

Could this be the year for Qubec's black scene? Forteresse could have an album out as they've never gone more than 2 years without an album and Crépuscule d'Octobre was 2011, Grimoire have been pretty quiet but with Fiel working with Forteresse and Csejthe, I'd question how much time he's had to work on his own music in the last two years.

Purple_Tangrowth

A DRUM, A DRUM!...
^ After listening to Gris for the second time, I enjoyed the first half much more than the first listen but I felt like the second half dragged :(
Also how's Sombres Forets? I know their the same label as Gris and done a split with them I think but are their previous albums worth a listen?

Might as well continue on the topic of atmospheric black...
This scottish band Arsaidh (aka Saor) released their debut Roots this year and it's pretty good. Celtic stuff here and there too
Also idk if it has been discussed yet on here but I thought the Altar of Plagues album from this year had some really unique stuff going on with the ambient/electronic

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I have a lot of praise for the Arsaidh album. Very good blending of Andy's previous two bands Askival and Falloch, with a bit of Drudkh thrown in for good measure.
I had no idea what you meant by 'aka Saor' until I looked it up, seems I completely missed the name being changed. Perhaps it sounded to much like Arse Head haha.

That was my first time with Sombres Forets, and honestly it didn't inspire me to listen to their past albums. I also listened to the Miserere Luminis album (his colab album with Gris) and again, I didn't think it was all that great. The sort of thing I felt should have been, but just seems to fall sort to me.

edit: just been turned onto this
http://elderblood.bandcamp.com/

Symponic blakc metal with one of the guys in Ygg and Ulvegr who used be in Nokturnal Mortum, as well as another former Nokturnal Mortum member.

Last edited:

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
SO having not previously listened to Gorguts I've basically listened to their discography today. I loved Obscura and Considered Dead, but for completely the opposite reasons.

I've finally gotten round to the new Portal. Turns out it's really good.

Also got the new Cold Body Radiation EP.

Currently listening Mitochondrion's Parasignosis, and tomorrow I'm going to give Ævangelist's De Masticatione Mortuorum in Tumulis a listen.

All things considered a very death metal heavy day (with a brief period of respite with CBR).

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
So out of curiosity, do you guys have any metal stations where you live? And if you do are you guys satisfied with em, or do you have no need for em? Am wondering cause lately radio is the only way to get my fix, and I'm somewhat miffed with my choices. On one hand you have a full 80s station playing the classics, with some new stuff, and then a more experimental station that has loads of black, prog, and so on. Power flits between both oddly enough, but there's NO doom. Not even a single song. Shitloads of Dio though, so there is a plus. But yeah, it gets a bit boring, the 80s station plays the same 100 or so songs now and then.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I have never checked, actually. However, living, as I do, in a moderately-rural, fairly Republican section of the Midwest, I highly doubt there is one local without resorting to satellite radio. They probably still think it's "the Devil's music" or some ****.

Thankfully, I have MP3 players and the like to fill the gap.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
So out of curiosity, do you guys have any metal stations where you live? And if you do are you guys satisfied with em, or do you have no need for em? Am wondering cause lately radio is the only way to get my fix, and I'm somewhat miffed with my choices. On one hand you have a full 80s station playing the classics, with some new stuff, and then a more experimental station that has loads of black, prog, and so on. Power flits between both oddly enough, but there's NO doom. Not even a single song. Shitloads of Dio though, so there is a plus. But yeah, it gets a bit boring, the 80s station plays the same 100 or so songs now and then.

Not as I'm aware. We have a classic rock radio station which I think Metal Hammer Magazine used to have a show on, but by and large no. But I don't listen to radio anyway. The only place I do is in the kitchen, and have an ipod radio transmitter so I can listen to my ipod over the radio.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
Thought as much, radio is a dead horse at this point. And holy ****, just heard a metalcore cover of bed of nails. My god what form of torture was that?

We've got one that sort of plays some metal (occasional Slayer/old Metallica/some other ****), but mostly plays mainstream rock.

The closest thing I have around here is probably just this alternative rock station . . . I mean late at night they do actually play stuff from heavy metal to metalcore on occasion but that is about it