• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I think I just wanted a bit more of M83's identity on Oblivion. I think a lot of it, possibly down to the collaboration with Joseph Trapanese, just ended up being a bit to typically film score. Some bits were great though, the scene with the pool, and the climactic scene of the film.

As for Only God Forgives, I wanted to like it, it was very striking visually, and I appreciate it was trying something a bit different, but I just didn't connect with it. I felt nothing for the characters. I actually thought the score was the only thing that managed to hold my interest, and the film just became a visual accompaniment at times. However when I got home and found the soundtrack online, I just didn't connect with it the way I had in the cinema.
But if you're a fan of Cliff Martinez you should definately give Spring Breakers a listen/watch, and check out the Drive and Solaris soundtracks. He seems to have a bit of a reputation as an electronic composer, but I find his ambient stuff more enjoyable, his cristal baschet in particular sounds glorious, and the steel drums in Solaris shouldn't work, but totally do.

I think I must be listening to a different album to everyone else, I don't get much by the way of post rock or shoegaze influence. It just feels like a slightly upbeat modern black metal records. Like Winterfylleth if they dropped the folkier flourishes. I've tried a few times to get into it, and it's certainly not a bad record. I just don't think it's deserving of the praise it gets from a lot of people, especially people who wouldn't even dream of listening a lot of stuff that sounds pretty similar.

I kind of liked the MBV album when it came out. I'd had it pre ordered, but I was a new fan, so it's not like I've been waiting for decades for it. And I approached it with an open mind, and I kind of dug it. But as time has gone on, the more I listen to it, the less impressed I am. And certainly hearing how much better they come across live too, I just don't think it's a good representation of what the songs could be. The production isn't great. But a lot of the songs aren't memorable either, they just sort of happen. I think people latch onto them because of their reputation, so when it comes to big publications making end of year lists it's a safe bet as theres a huge fan base who will be placed, and then they become the token gesture shoegaze band because a good many poeple (not saying this is true of you btw, just some poeple I know) can't be bothered looking into a genre and just see a big name and assume the genre is being catered for. Perhaps I'm being harsh, but I feel like it's almost trendy to be seen to be liking them, when really it's like dipping your toe in a puddle and saying you like swimming. I've not hard loads of Shoegaze albums, but I've heard a good few. And I genuinely believe the likes of The Stargazer Lilies blow mbv out of the water. But then I seem to be in the minority who think Loveless is a bit over rated too, so maybe they just aren't the band for me. (at least on record, as like I say, they are brilliant live).

I like the Vaura album, but I am pretty new to it, I think I mentioned it in this thread actually, it kind of reminds me of a black metal infused Anathema. I don't know what staying power it'll have, but it's certainly good for a few listens.

If you liked Kurt Ballou as a producer have you listened to the Beastmilk album from this year?

Zantera

I haven't heard Beastmilk, I guess it's something worth checking out?

Regarding MBV, I think you bring up a really good point. I would say I love Shoegaze, but in terms of finding good shoegaze bands, I find it hard. I really like My Bloody Valentine, and I've liked a few other bands I've heard like Lush, but there also seems to be a lot of MBV-clones, doing the same thing but with not as strong melodies or hooks. Your warm feedback on The Stargazer Lilies made me really interested in checking them out. Had never heard the name before, but if you think it was that good, I feel like it would probably be up my alley too.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Yeah, Beastmilk are really good. The album narrowly missed out on my top ten. Kind of post punk with a bit of a gothy vibe. Also check out the Use Your Deluge EP too, as I think it's probably better (but not produced by Kurt Ballou)

And yeah, I really like The Stargazer Lilies, they used to be called Soundpool (I'm not sure if Soundpool still exist or if this is a continuation,) but it's quite slow and dreamy, but really good I reckon. Here's probably my favourite track from the new album.
[video=youtube;MqL19g0HVRo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqL19g0HVRo[/video]

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Yeah I have a fair few (plus when have we ever worried about being on topic in here haha). I've stuck to one release per band so as not to overwhelm you too much. Some bands do have a few good albums though.

Air Formation - Daylight Storms
Bethany Curve - Skies A Crossed Sky
Blind Mr. Jones - Stereo Musicale
Catherine Wheel - Ferment
Ceremony - Rocket Fire
The Cherry Wave - Blush
The Depreciation Guild - Spirit Youth
Flyying Colours - Flyying Colours
Galaxie 500 - On Fire
Guitaro - Futura Black
Highspire - Aquatic
LSD and the Search For God
M83 - Before the Dawn Heals Us
Malory - Not Here Not Now
Pinkshinyultrablast - Happy Songs For Happy Zombies
A Place to Bury Strangers - A Place to Bury Strangers
Seirom - 1973 (again, it's as much drone, ambeint and black metal as shoegaze, but I think it's definitely an element)
SIANspheric - Somnium
Skywave - Synthstatic
Soundpool - On High
Stella Luna - Stargazer
Tears Run Rings - Distance
Trespassers William - Different Stars (arguably more dream pop, but a lovely album)
The Verve - A Storm in Heaven
93MillionMilesFromTheSun - Northern Sky

That should be plenty to get your teeth into.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I just don't think they're very good. It's just not my thing. Though I don't think it helps that the album I first got from them was Ascension, which I kind of get the impression was one of their worst. I find I prefer Iroha who are of a similar style and share the Bass player from Jesu.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
Yeah, I finally did my top 10. No particular order, or any serious notes. To be honest, I haven't been involved in music this year, so its just really a listened to them and enjoyed these the most type of thing then a real analytical piece.
1.Hell-Curses and Chapters
Really interesting album. Its 1980s compositions with a 2013 mixing, so the blend of old and new is amazing to listen to.
2.Helloween- Straight out of Hell
7 Sinners really didn't do much for me, that much is known. It was nice, but not great. And before that, well, its Helloween after Kiske, what do you expect?But this album, holy ****. Seriously. Its Helloween like I first discovered it, without knowing of its bad period in the 90s. Unadulterated metal just for the kicks, with one grand slam after another. Definitely the surprise of the year for me.
3.In Solitude- Sister
What's that Ghost, you want to do occult metal? Okay fine! What's that Candlemass, its your last album? Okay that's fine too, we have your replacement at hand. Seriously, the time to hand over the mantle as come, your last album was fine for what it was, but you ain't got it anymore. In Solitude has this now, don't worry.
4.Darkthrone- The Underground Resistance
Darkthrone is Darkthrone, simple as that for me. Any new album is gonna be good for me, much like Blind Guardian at this point.
5.Voivod- Target Earth
This should not have worked as well as it did god damn it.
6.Amon Amarth- Deceiver of the God
Same thing with this one. Somehow they managed to get as good as they were on ToTTG. Hell, its better even. Somehow. Each song follows into the other nicely, and as an overall album its good enough to say there is no filler without a doubt. After Surtur though, this is not what I was expecting.
7.Kvelertak-Meir
Always in the mood for a good mind****, and this ain't no different. I'm usually not into anything that's too experimental, but this time I said why the hell not. And thankfully I was rewarded with something truly amazing.
8.Satan- Life Sentence
Much like Helloween, this was a fun romp. Nothing too thoughtful or insightful, but not mind numbingly stupid to hate. Pure listening material here.
9.Tyr-Valkyrja
In the massively dying Folk Metal genre, this is a much appreciated album. Its got this refreshing feel compared to previous outings of the band, and the use of clearer lyrics for some songs was a massive breath of fresh air. Shows that with the right vocals folk metal can work without the harsh vocals and still be different from power.
10.Death Angel-The dream calls for blood.
So happy to see them gain a stride. Their 2010 return was amazing, and this continuation is nothing less then a masterpiece of thrash.

So yeah, I know its a lot of old bands with new stuff, but I just can't get into the current vibe of metal. And as much as I appreciate Alcest, I can't understand bands like Deafheaven or the attention their getting. At all.

Zantera

I think the general appeal for bands like Alcest and Deafheaven comes from people liking it when bands try new things, or bands that like to mix things up and combine different genres in different ways. I used to listen to a lot of classic metal when I was 15-16, bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Helloween, Slayer and so on, basically all the "big" classic bands, but eventually as I moved on with new music, I just found the "classic" metal to be pretty boring. I prefer it when metal does something unexpected, and a band like Alcest managed to blend metal with the beautiful sounds of shoegaze and post-rock, and Deafheaven did a similar thing, even though their music is probably closer to something like Godspeed You Black Emperor than Alcest, which is more "beautiful".

That's really what I love about the newer bands, they are pushing boundaries. I know people who can't get into those bands, because some of them might enjoy the more classic sound of metal, and they don't want to leave their comfort zone. My mom is an example of that, she wants her metal as it was in the 80's. And I think that's also a problem with many metalbands that have been around for 20-30 years; they are still doing the same thing. Music is a reflection of the time it was made in, and some bands seem to strive towards making an 80's album today, which in my opinion just doesn't work. Music has evolved since then. People have evolved since then. I don't wanna hear a band do the same thing they have done on 10 albums before, I would rather hear something fresh and exciting.

So yeah, I think the people who like bands like Alcest and Deafheaven probably just love the new way of mixing metal with other genres, and there seems to be a lot of people who feel that way.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
Its not like I completely don't get it, as I said Alcest is an occasional listen for me. But the whole genre just feels too light for me atm to get why its metal and not rock, outside of vocals at least.

Zantera

Alright. Alcest I feel have been going more and more toward a lighter sound, and there has been less metal on each album pretty much. With Deafheaven, I find Sunbather fascinating, because it sounds like it has been run through a "light" filter. If the sound of that album was different, and instead of sounding bright and positive, it would sound dark and bleak, just by changing the sound of the album, I think it would sound more "metal", even if the music itself stayed the same. The metal-moments doesn't really feel like metal moments because of how the album sounds.

On another note, I've been getting into Post-Metal these last weeks. It has always been a genre I've felt like I should love, but for the most part the music has just been good, and nothing more. But after recommendations I checked out "Panopticon" by Isis, and I gotta say that I'm floored. I did know about them before, and I really enjoyed Wavering Radiant, but this is on a whole new level. It's such an incredible album, I would even say perfect. It's more instrumental than their newer work, but I think that works in the album's favor.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
So it really is supposed to sound like that. Got it. Well, I guess accepting it for what it is might be a start, but other then that, I might not ever get it. Music needs composition for me, and for now its not clicking for me at all in that department. Its all a blend for me, nothing has its moments, nothing works in synchronicity with anything, they just all work at the same time, fuddled.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
BTW
The new Alcest album... I've gotten a chance to listen to it and.. well.. if you approach it with an open mind, you'll enjoy it but there will probably be lots of disappointment.

From the 3 tracks I've heard I'm fully expecting it to be my album of the year, Unless Anathema release another corker this year.
The thing I don't get is the amount of dislike for the newer alcest stuff. It's not a massive departure. Everything I like about their sound is still there from what I can tell, the clean vocals, the melodies, the atmospheres. To me the core of Alcest's sound is there, and it kind of makes me wonder what it is everyone else likes about Alcest for such a minor departure in the grand scheme to elicit such extreme responses.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I'm surprised to see dislike/indifference towards Souvenirs. For me it's almost perfect, and the album they got the sound most right on. The textures, melodies, harmonies, atmospheres, and the emotions, everything just came together. There's a real warm and magical feeling that it captures, that as good as subsequent records were, was never really recaptured. (Sur L’Océan Couleur De Fer being an exception of sorts, just conveying a slightly different mood). I still get chills when I hear the cymbal swell and opening riff to Printemps Emeraude. I could listen to that album forever. It's up there with an album like Watching From A Distance that I'm always in the mood for, and is really powerful, and had a profound effect on me.

Zantera

I thought the new Alcest was pretty darn underwhelming after the first listen. It redeemed itself towards the end, the last three songs were the best, but everything before the title-track felt like Autre Temp-sounding B-sides. No catchy or memorable hooks or melodies. I hope it grows more on further listens though. No matter what, I don't see it topping the new Thee mt. Silver Zion album, which is by far my AOTY so far.

manske90

Ok, clicking into this thread and seeing a discussion about ALCEST on Serebii.net just blew my mind!

LOVED Souvenirs, wasn't blown away by the next one, and haven't heard the newest. But wow, Alcest on Serebii. haha.