• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

Zantera

I think the main problem with what Opeth are doing is not the direction itself, but the lack of creativity/ability to write good songs. An album with 70's sounding prog rock COULD be awesome, but Heritage was pretty dull and had ideas we've heard executed much better by other bands in the past. It's a shame, because the 70's-trend is getting stale, and it has devoured some bands/artist I really loved before (apart from Opeth, also Steven Wilson and Pain of Salvation), artists who got so caught up with the trend that I kinda lost interest.

The new Opeth COULD be good, but it needs to improve upon Heritage. I don't expect Opeth to ever top their best albums, but if the album is at least good, I'll be happy.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I was waiting for the pre order to arrive, but now the release has been pushed back I might just cave in and download it.
I've heard mixed reports, one friend saying it's miles better than roots, the other saying it was massively disappointing.

junkieloser

legalize self abuse.
so who's going to see eyehategod on their midwest?

i don't have my tickets or anything but i'm hoping to see them in exactly a week. i can't be bothered checking but i hope ringworm will be playing that date- some seriously quality hardcore. i disagree with people calling thrash or even crossover though, sounds fully hardcore to my ears. but still one of the better albums of this year so i'll post it anyway (and it's on relapse, soooo)

[video=youtube;pqnlFcELKrU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqnlFcELKrU[/video]

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
On my Third listen of Distant Satellites.

I think it'll take a good few more to really make my mind up on it. But I think I like it. Some of the more 'electronic' elements threw me a little at first, but I'm warming to them.
I haven't immediately liked it from start to finish in the way I have everything since We're Here.

Zantera

The most pleasant surprise to me is that the lyrics feel better on this album and not as cheesy. Whenever I go back to some of the lyrics in songs like Lightning Song or Everything, it's so cringeworthy that it just comes out as painful to listen to. I think it's a fine line between writing emotional lyrics that feel natural and honest, and writing something that tries to force the listener to feel certain emotions. WHBWH crossed that line a few times, but it was even worse on WS. DS feels more like Judgement or A Natural Disaster in that sense, it feels more honest instead of just "life is beautiful and every day is a gift"-hippie nonsense.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
See I'm quite fond of the more life affirming stuff. I was thinking about it the other day, I think the beauty, glory and hope of their being something 'more' like a more spiritual existence, the nature of love and all that, is probably the same thing in Anathema's music that draws me to the film making of Terrence Malick.

I think as a person I'm kind of split. Because logically I'm essentially an sceptical existential nihilist, but then I don't want to be, there is a part of me who wants to believe in love, in life, in transcendence. And I think I'm constantly looking for, and fascinated by art that suggests that there could be more, that there could be purpose to it all. I think it's the same thing that draws me to spiritual hip hop, and reading about near death experiences. I think there is a want or even a need for me justify life, and I think in recent years Anathema have helped with that.

I'm still open to music of loss, longing, and nihilism, I think we should embrace the whole spectrum of emotion musically, and use negativity and let it be a catharsis. I still listen to Warning, Burzum and Skepticism, I've not turned into some cowering wreck who need constant positive affirmation life haha

I think you could chalk it down to a differing in opinion, but Everything and Lightening song are amongst my favourite lyrics on their respective albums. Though Untouchable and Internal Landscapes probably top it for me on Weather Systems.

However I still feel that there is manipulative lyrics on Distant Satellites, the repetition of "Fear is an Illusion" in Lost Song 1 and 2, "I'm alive" in the title track, the use of repetition in Dusk. I think that the are designed to make you feel emotion through their repetition as the phrase sticks with you. I think that lyrically it's not all that different, there's perhaps more wistful longing, but the way the lyrics are written and structured, and what the intended effect on the listener via phrasing, and emotive delivery seem pretty consistent with the last few albums. The only difference is the subject.

I know it's subjective, but felt their was sincerity in the last couple of albums, I felt that they were at peace as a band. I thought the quality of the music and the composition were so strong in backing up the lyrics, that I feel like everything about those albums was pure passion. It wasn't just happy music for happy music sake, there were dynamics, ups and downs in mood, and expansion of their sound sonically by the inclusion of the orchestral arrangement. The shift in sound between Natural Disaster and We're Here was massive, and given it was something like 7 years, it's unsurprising. Had it just been A Natural Disaster Part 2 with happy lyrics I might have been inclined to agree, but there was a definite shift in mood. And for me it all came together and added legitimacy.

I hope some of that makes sense, as I've kind of just sat down and wrote it as a train of thought :p

Zantera

Nah I think it makes sense. :) The band being dark or light aside, a friend pointed out that the last three albums have been following the same "formula" and I kinda see that point. It doesn't bother me yet because DS felt like a new, fresh take on it, but I can see it becoming a problem if all their future albums have the same sort of song structures. I really hope the title-track on DS is a sign for what's to come, and that the band goes in a slightly more electronic direction.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Yeah there does seem to be a trend of start small, build into crescendo.

As much as I like Internal Landscapes and Hindsight, I did worry that they were always going to end albums with essentially sampled dialogue with a sort of post rock track underneath, so I was kind of glad that it was a bit different this time around.

I really didn't know what to make of the electronic direction, but I am warming to it. I think it's something they've been interested in for a while, when I saw them on the Were Here tour where they played the album in its entirety, and they were supported by a band called North Atlantic Oscillation who sort of did the neo prog rock meets electronica sort of sound, and I got the impression Anathema were quite big fans.

So I wouldn't be surprised if they explored it further. I think I'm open to anything they do really, as long as they retain the intensity their music has.

Zantera

North Atlantic Oscillation are great. :) I really enjoyed their most recent album, and they do write some good electronica into their music.

I think the main thing many people seem to love about Anathema are the vocals (the strong melodies, the emotions, the Vinny/Danny/Lee mix) and their songwriting. The atmosphere and all that. The "rock" part of their sound is only really a framework to hang that on. I could totally see the band transition into more electronic territory (like they are doing on the new album, and the title track especially), and still make music that feels like Anathema. I like the "rock"-part of their sound, but I don't think it's necessary.

pwnswitchclik

Alakazaminator
I'm late to say this, but Zetro Souza is back in Exodus. There seems to be a lot of discussion about the vocalists of the band, about which one is better, etc. I'm not sure where to stand on this, since I was never interested in them. I mean there is a cult following on Bonded By Blood, but other than that...

junkieloser

legalize self abuse.
hc, but super heavily influenced by scandinavian dm and grind, so whatever. get crushed by the riffs. and both the singer and bassist are cute as hell so whatever.

[video=youtube;8SRNtCKanyQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SRNtCKanyQ[/video]

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Definitely. I almost feel like I shouldn't like them, but their power and intensity are irresistible.

There's a new Cold Body Radiation album out for those interested. Metal archives are also suggesting that Mories from Seirom, Gnaw Their Tongues etc. is the guy behind Cold Body Radiation. And they aren't the sort of site to publish stuff without proof either, which is making me think there may be something in it.

junkieloser

legalize self abuse.
i don't really see how you hear more hc influence in Enabler than you do in Nails since Nails are basically just a hc band with a metal guitar tone but eh whatever

Definitely. I almost feel like I shouldn't like them, but their power and intensity are irresistible.
why? the whole trend of powerviolence/hc + scandinavian metal is the most interesting new thing to come out of metal in fifteen years. Trap Them, Dead In the Dirt, Mammoth Grinder, Black Breath, Early Graves, Young and In the Way, Full of Hell, and obviously Enabler and Nails since we were just talking about them.

also i'd be lying if i said i'd heard most of Mories stuff but why is it that most of the stuff i've heard from him is so much worse than Gnaw Their Tongues?

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Because as someone who has never really gotten the appeal of hardcore music, to hear what is essentially a hardcore band with a swedeath aesthetic, makes little sense, as like you say, they are essentially just a hardcore band with HM-2's and D-beats/blast beats.

I've only really listened to Seirom, Cloak of Altering, and Cold Body Radiation (if we are to believe it's actually him.) And quite frankly Seirom stands out as being significantly better than all of them. 1973 is an incredible album.