• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

LeafeonTheVoid

New changes
Been listening lot of Bölzer lately. Great death/black with an unique twist to it.

Seen them on Party San in Germany last weekend. Very good performance.
Other bands worth mentioning were Aborted, Obituary, Napalm Death, Suffocation, Abyssous, Misery Index & Jig-Ai (Bulldozer Party Grind FTW!!)

I haven't heard any Death/Black in a long time. I've been pretty fixated on Sludge lately, but I'll have to give those bands all a listen soon (though I've heard of Obituary and Napalm Death).

I've been listening to a lot of classical lately, kind of why I've not been posting in here as much.

It happens man. Sometimes I get in the mood to listen to other genre(s) and become fixated on one thing for a period of time.

Last edited:

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I get it quite a lot. Though more and more metal is becoming a part of the cycle rather than the base I keep returning to.

I've been checking out Requiems a lot lately, and am going seeing Berlioz's Grande Messe des morts performed next month, (and then seeing Anathema the next day.)

LeafeonTheVoid

New changes
I get it quite a lot. Though more and more metal is becoming a part of the cycle rather than the base I keep returning to.

I've been checking out Requiems a lot lately, and am going seeing Berlioz's Grande Messe des morts performed next month, (and then seeing Anathema the next day.)

I must admit, I'm a bit jealous. I've never had the luxury to even visit a real symphony hall, let alone witness performances. :/

I'm more into old school thrash metal, with Cliff Burton era Metallica being my favorite. I managed to finally see them in 2009. I've also seen Lamb Of God, Volbeat, Five Finger Death Punch, and In This Moment live.

Speaking of Volbeat, it bugs me a bit that one of my favorite bands shares a name with a Pokemon I don't see much use for.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Speaking of Volbeat, it bugs me a bit that one of my favorite bands shares a name with a Pokemon I don't see much use for.

I'm waiting for the lawsuit.

Okay, no, that's a joke. Not only because I don't think Nintendo/Game Freak/etc. care, but also because the band existed long before the Pokemon had a name or likely was even designed at all.

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
I like agalloch.

I first listened to A LOT of the mantle.

lately i have been listening to faustian echoes over and over.

I like Goethe, so I was excited when i found out that Agalloch was doing a music adaptation to fragments of his writing. I think it could have been more over the top but maybe that's just not their style? I could see this getting really out of hand though on stage live (in a good way).

*edit*

I've been to a few. And I'm not even resorting to hyperbole when I say there's nothing quite like the sound of a full orchestra in a proper hall.

it really is true. comparing playing in a shitty rehearsal room to a 5 star venue like say Kaufman Center it is like night and day.

Issues in an amateur orchestra like say the cellos not being able to match a low F# quite right (a common problem for amateur cello sections) it magically fixes itself in a real hall. Part of the magic of the engineered acoustics is that not only can the musicians hear themselves much clearer than in a muddled small practice room but they can also hear EVERYONE around them (including audience talking) and distinguish their own personal sound from their neighbors. Matching pitch and blending sound suddenly is effortless in comparison to any other lesser room. I've performed in Kaufman Center twice (and auditioned there solo once) and am speaking from experience. The wood in the floor is engineered so that instruments with sharp end-pins will reverberate greater when stuck directly in the wood rather that using protective rock-stops which is traditional to 'protect' the wood of the floor.

Last edited:

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I want to go on a tour of the Bridgewater Hall (which is like my local venue in terms of concert halls). Apparently it's really interesting. The chairs are designed to have the same acoustical properties if they are or aren't being sat on, so that the sound remains constant. Apparently there are springs and stuff under the stage, which are apparently so effective that when the IRA set of a bomb in Manchester in 1996, people inside the hall didn't hear it.

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
I want to go on a tour of the Bridgewater Hall (which is like my local venue in terms of concert halls). Apparently it's really interesting. The chairs are designed to have the same acoustical properties if they are or aren't being sat on, so that the sound remains constant. Apparently there are springs and stuff under the stage, which are apparently so effective that when the IRA set of a bomb in Manchester in 1996, people inside the hall didn't hear it.

wow hahah, that is really fascinating about the bomb explosion xD

I wonder how they engineer those seats to be that way. The issue with practicing in an empty performance hall is that it is a lot 'wetter' sound than with full audience, so that's pretty cool they made the seats to replicate that effect for the orchestras rehearsing there.

pwnswitchclik

Alakazaminator
I've recently came across a band called Scent of Silence, hailing from Italy, I think. I'm not sure if it's a one man band or a collective, but he/they play/s some sort of Ambient/Atmospheric Black Metal which sound like the soundtrack to one's introspection and melancholy. Definitely worth buying his/their CD.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Did anyone like Grey Waters? Or even Germ?

The New Autumn's Dawn album is certainly in a similar vein to Grey Waters, though perhaps less symphonic. Not at all what I was expecting, but I was pleasantly surprised when I heard it as I was a massive fan of Grey Waters.

[video=youtube;IJSwWTm7MyI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJSwWTm7MyI[/video]

junkieloser

legalize self abuse.
what does new yob sound like? i've gotten bored of stoner/doom the last year or so, but i used to enjoy the first three yob albums quite a bit.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Anyone into Stallion?

They're like WASP playing Speed Metal or something like that.

[video=youtube;N5gd1FJoIkA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5gd1FJoIkA[/video]

edit: Also listening to the latest Dragonforce album. It's a bit of a mixed bag. It has it's moments, but it feels like a bit of a step backwards sometimes.

Last edited:

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
[video=youtube;nxCeC3Mxqxw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxCeC3Mxqxw[/video]

New track. This is shaping up well.

It's a single track, that's broken up into sections. I read it sort of displays where they came from, where they are, and where they're going to over the course of the piece. So with this coming quite early, I'm very excited to hear where they take it.

junkieloser

legalize self abuse.
considering the description (WASP playing speed metal) that Stallion track was painfully boring.

ride for revenge have to be one of my favourite bm acts atm. the rhythmic base to the whole thing combined with the gloomy, deep guitar tone sounds like Hellhammer playing misanthropic sludge ala Grief almost.

[video=youtube;y-hHukYhFQ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-hHukYhFQ4[/video]

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
It's a single track, that's broken up into sections. I read it sort of displays where they came from, where they are, and where they're going to over the course of the piece. So with this coming quite early, I'm very excited to hear where they take it.

I am very sure that I've heard of this band, but I cannot say offhand if I've ever heard their music. Still, I quite dug it. I may have to track this down at some point.

junkieloser

legalize self abuse.
As for the description, how else would you describe it?
i hear very little WASP in that sound, if anything i hear a more generic PARTY METAL version of the first two Running Wild LP's. the guitar tone sounds spot on to Gates to Purgatory imo

i mean i'm gonna be honest in that i'm not at all familiar with WASP post 86 but i don't really hear anything connecting them to WASP specifically. i'm probably just overly critical of it since i really don't like the majority of 80's throwback speed metal bands unless they have a more blackened edge to them (Chapel, Midnight, and Inepsy are the kinds of throwback bands i can get behind).