• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
Well well, seems I haven't posted here in quite a while. Anyway, I've lately been listening to this radio station that plays a lot of gothic and symphonic metal mainly from Europe, and through it I've discovered a couple of interesting bands that I hadn't really heard of prior:

Indica - A gothic metal band from Finland. Many of their songs are rather upbeat with clear yet somewhat strange lyrics. Originally all their songs were sung in Finnish, but as they grew more popular, they did several songs in English as well. While some of the latter ones are interesting, I overall like the sound of their old Finnish-lyrics songs better, as the lyrics tend to be more poetic in nature. There are a couple of exceptions though, like the song Straight and Arrow, whose lyrics are... interesting, to say the least. But compare that to some of their more classic songs like Pida Kadesta, which seem to have a lot more sheer beauty to them. As a side note, I have to wonder if they had cannabis in mind while naming this band. XD

Nachtblut - They sound a lot like black metal, especially with the vocals (which are all in German as far as I know), but I think could be mainly classified as symphonic. They seem to have a distinct formula with their songs: have little or no melodic variation in the vocals, but layer those vocals on top of some beautiful symphonic music that mainly repeats. The song Gedenket der Toten is a prime example of this formula, though some of their more popular songs play up the black metal aspects a bit more, as in Ich Trinke Blut.

I'll keep discovering more in these genres (and Power Metal as well), and post anything else interesting that I find.

EDIT: I listened to that Stallion song near the top of the page, and actually liked it a bit. (The melody is a bit bland though, so I imagine that's why junkieloser called it painfully boring.) Sounds like power metal, so it's right up my alley. I'll have to check them out a bit more.

Last edited:

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
i hear very little WASP in that sound, if anything i hear a more generic PARTY METAL version of the first two Running Wild LP's. the guitar tone sounds spot on to Gates to Purgatory imo

i mean i'm gonna be honest in that i'm not at all familiar with WASP post 86 but i don't really hear anything connecting them to WASP specifically. i'm probably just overly critical of it since i really don't like the majority of 80's throwback speed metal bands unless they have a more blackened edge to them (Chapel, Midnight, and Inepsy are the kinds of throwback bands i can get behind).
It's mainly in the vocal; timbre, tone, phrasing. Though it is something more prevelant on the EP. And to a lesser extent the riffs, or rather melodic phrases, which probably ties in with the vocals.

I'm not the only one to see the comparison, 3 separate people all independent of each other showed me the band in the same week last year, and all made the WASP comparison.

junkieloser

legalize self abuse.
i saw Sabbat, Metalucifer, and some others a few days ago. as great a show as Sabbat and Metalucifer put on, it was pretty disappointing- two of the opening bands played way too long and were pretty lame, Usurper (who were supposed to play a reunion show for this date only) didn't even show up, and Sabbat and Metalucifer's sets got cut short- 15 minutes and 30 minutes respectively. why the **** would you let some Candlemass and Exciter rip off bands play for an hour each and give the headlining band which came all the way from Japan only 15 ****ing minutes? really poorly organized.

Ascended Dialga

I'm into classic metal (Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, etc.), power metal, instrumental metal, video game music, and metal renditions thereof. I've seen Thin Lizzy, Black Label Society, and Primal Fear once, and I've seen Judas Priest twice.

Zantera

There has been a few great metal releases this year, but I think only 1 or 2 would crack my top20 albums for the year. Compared to last year where my number 1 and number 2 albums were Deafheaven's Sunbather and Kayo Dot's Hubardo (both being part-metal), no metal album this year comes close to reaching the same levels as those for me. Swans has been my overall number 1 album of the year since May, and nothing is gonna challenge that, and nothing came close.

All in all I think this was a pretty good year for music, just a bit empty on the "spectacular metal album"-front. Several really good ones, but not a single one I would call flawless. The closest for me is probably The Contortionist's Language. That album is very atmospheric, thematic and has a nice blend of prog metal and ambient sounds.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I've narrowed mine down to a top 17 so far.

Alcest - Shelter
Anathema - Distant Satellites
Autumn's Dawn - Gone
Blood of Kingu - Dark Star On The Right Horn Of The Crescent Moon
The Cherry Wave - Avalancher
Electric Youth - Innerworld
Falls of Rauros - Believe In No Coming Shore
Fen - Carrion Skies
Ghast - Dread Doom Ruin
Lantlôs - Melting Sun
Lowtide - Lowtide
Mare Cognitum - Phobos Monolith
Saor - Aura
Seirom - And The Light Swallowed Everything
Сварга (Svarga) - Дух Земли (Spirit Of The Land)
Ulvegr - Зов Ледяной Пустоты (The Call of Glacial Emptiness)
While Heaven Wept - Suspen

Most are metal or metal related which makes a change from my last years list which only had 4/10 metal albums.

Bert

Untitled
Why is it every time someone opens a Metal topic anywhere it always gets filled with talk about the most obscure bands ever? :p Several other forums I'm on are the same, it starts as a metal topic then after a few weeks they're all talking about post-industrial new wave of extreme black metal or something, haha. :D

Anyway, here are some of my favorite bands; Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, In Flames (prefer the old stuff, but not too mad about their change of direction), Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, Sabaton, Avenged Sevenfold, Godsmack, Hypocrisy, Amon Amarth, Alestorm, Helloween, Stone Sour and yes even stuff like Slipknot, Korn, ....

Don't really like Black Sabbath, or glam bands like KISS. No idea why, just don't like them.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Maybe because people enjoy them? Just a hunch? :p

To be fair, I've been using this thread for at least five years if not longer, and for a time we have had quite a few regulars, so a lot of the bigger bands get talked about to the point that there's nothing left to say. So instead of letting the thread stagnate and die, people explore music and share their finds. Why not try a few, you never know you might find you like some of them.

Bert

Untitled
Sure, I'm not disapproving at all. It just makes joining the discussion a tad harder. But I'm not complaining, I love discovering new music!
Then again, usually my discoveries originate from a festival gig. Whenever I have a few hours of time with none of my favorite bands scheduled, I either chill out at the camping or go see something random.

Discovered Opeth last summer that way, man I can't believe I forgot them on my list. They're so incredibly tight live and their music is really well-composed imo. :O

Zantera

I don't consider myself a hipster, or the kind of person who likes obscure things because they are obscure, and in fact I listen to several big bands as well as a lot of small ones. But my honest opinion is that mainstream music, metal especially has been in a stand still for years. There hasn't been anything exciting going on with mainstream metal (as in bands that are on the radio) since Faith No More, and that was in the 90's. If you want interesting metal music these days, the more obscure genres is where you gotta turn.

But I also have a lot of free time on my hands, so digging for new bands is easier. I know some people who still listen to bands like Metallica and Iron Maiden and keep telling themselves that those bands are "just as good as in the 80s", and I have a feeling it's mostly out of convenience. If you don't have all the time in the world, it's easier to stick with what you know and like.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Sure, I'm not disapproving at all. It just makes joining the discussion a tad harder. But I'm not complaining, I love discovering new music!
Then again, usually my discoveries originate from a festival gig. Whenever I have a few hours of time with none of my favorite bands scheduled, I either chill out at the camping or go see something random.

Discovered Opeth last summer that way, man I can't believe I forgot them on my list. They're so incredibly tight live and their music is really well-composed imo. :O
I first discovered Opeth at a festival (Bloodstock 2008), though I hated them. I'd been stood so long I was really uncomfortable and just didn't enjoy it. But my mate got me listening to them, and I saw them soon after and it was great. I've seen them a few times since and they were really good. But then I saw them at the Royal Albert Hall show they put on the DVD and I just felt indifferent. I didn't like Heritage which came next, and as a result I've effectively stopped listening to them.

junkieloser

legalize self abuse.
any of you wimps in America and going to Hell's Headbash 2? there's going to be like 26 bands or something. so far archgoat, cianide, profantica and midnight have been confirmed. shaping up to be awesome.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
After being burnt by Twilight of the Gods-Jesus H ****ing Christ who chose it as the album's single-I'm glad as hell that I still love Blind Guardian. Beyond the Red Mirror is excellent, Kai is a lot more gruff and growls a lot more, and there is just so much oomph to their songs. That opening for The Ninth Wave, it was worth the wait. ANATO's successor is finally here.

pwnswitchclik

Alakazaminator
He's back. I may not be a fan of his work, but, damn, this track is so powerful.

[video=youtube;CIoXaF3yK7g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIoXaF3yK7g[/video]