• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
This thread must live. I am a proud metal head and I am upset that I didn't know about this thread sooner.

Symphonic bands like Nightwish tend to be my favourites, but I'm pretty open to all different styles of metal as long as it sounds good.

Has anybody here heard of the Diablo Swing Orchestra? I stumbled across them a couple of days ago and was surprised to discover that they've combined metal with 1930s style swing jazz of all things!

[video=youtube;osTu38yuuHo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osTu38yuuHo[/video]

Considering that I'm in love with Cuphead's soundtrack, this was like a dream come true to me!

This thread must live. I am a proud metal head and I am upset that I didn't know about this thread sooner.

Symphonic bands like Nightwish tend to be my favourites, but I'm pretty open to all different styles of metal as long as it sounds good.

Has anybody here heard of the Diablo Swing Orchestra? I stumbled across them a couple of days ago and was surprised to discover that they've combined metal with 1930s style swing jazz of all things!

Considering that I'm in love with Cuphead's soundtrack, this was like a dream come true to me!

A friend of me sent me a link to their Pandora's Piñata album about 2 months ago saying that it'd probably be something I'd like (and she was totally right, they're glorious!)

My favorite subgenres of metal are power metal, symphonic metal and pirate metal (basically Alestorm). Though I'm also a fan of Japanese metal, especially if it falls within one of those subgenres.
But I can appreciate most kinds of metal, the only ones I'm not a fan of are ones that mainly have screamo as their vocals. I don't mind it in the background or together with clear vocals, but just screams are only good during festivals for me (mainly because of the atmosphere)

Anyways, here's a vid of one of my favorite Japanese metal bands, Undead Corporation. With the lead song of their newest album No Antidote: [video=youtube;JKU8UKgaY7Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKU8UKgaY7Q[/video]

iCakeify

Luxray Fanboy
Speaking of japanese metal, I picked up this LP at a record store a while ago. Great stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV0ys72ar6g

I listen to almost everything, been listening to a lot of 00s underground metalcore recently

[video=youtube;5lUOBw0holk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lUOBw0holk[/video]

Last edited:

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I think we all just kind of quit using the board around the same time, or forgot the thread, or something. Apparently we still think we can ~outgrow~ Pokemon. We some dumb mother****ers.

I haven't listened to a whole lot of metal recently, though.

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
I think we all just kind of quit using the board around the same time, or forgot the thread, or something. Apparently we still think we can ~outgrow~ Pokemon. We some dumb mother****ers.

Yep. I know the feeling (although I prefer the older games in the franchise tbh).

And hey! It's great to see another person who likes Alestorm! Pirate-themed metal needs more love imo.

Ascended Dialga

I'm listening to Judas Priest's new album Firepower right now. It sounds great so far! The Metal Gods still have it

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
It's always good to hear that Judas Priest are still making something good, but also I still haven't listened to Redeemer of Souls yet, whoops. I need to change that at some point.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
yay, i found a sanctuary here from the 98% of who like main stream pop music. i usually have the car radio on talk shows as main stream music makes my ears bleed and heavy metal programs are only on at certain times. i like most styles but symphonic, power, folk and death metal are those i listen to the most. Nightwish was the group that really got me into the genres that i currently listen to. before that i listened to all genres but didnt chose which i liked best. after hearing Nightwish for the first time i knew which genres i would chose to listen to more than others. power and folk metal are a bit later on but i still listen to death metal ie Nekrogoblikon and others if i want the hear something a bit darker and heavier.

doom and sludge i dont mind too much but i have my limits to how long i can listen to it. though im not much for being in the main crowd, i dont do so well if there are too many people around me but i do make exceptions for the groups that i like alot.

to quote a member here, this describes me accurately
I would not really consider myself a "Metalhead" but I do like Metal music a lot.
/QUOTE]

nel3

Crimson Dragon
i have a general question about heavy metal genres, there are many genres of it but what is the general consensus on folk metal? i know its a bit of a unique genre but i like the style and tempo of it.

Nidogod

Long time Metal listener here.
Matt Barlow's Iced Earth was the band that introduced me to this genre of music. Still remember the day I listened to their song "Melancholy (Holy Martyr)" for the very first time and instantly fallen in love with it.
My custom title, "Wicked Angel Witch" is also a reference to this music. I'm talking about the classic Heavy Metal band Angel Witch's "Self-titled" album, which I highly recommend to everyone who visit this thread, admitting you're already not aware of this pearl's existence, of course.

If you never have, check out their live album Festival of the Wicked. Inever knew it existed until I randomly came across it on Spotify. Unfortunately Barlow rejoined the band for two of their worst albums ever, but during that time they did some touring and afaik it's the only live album other than Alive in Athens that he sings on. They even do a song from A Glorious Burden that he absolutely slays.

i have a general question about heavy metal genres, there are many genres of it but what is the general consensus on folk metal? i know its a bit of a unique genre but i like the style and tempo of it.

Folk metal is one of the most popular genres out there, probably due to how accessible and catchy it is. If you can, do yourself a favor and try to catch a show. Obviously don't know where abouts you're from, but here in the USA Paganfest should be right around the corner. Korpiklaani always headlines and they are so much fun to watch live.

Most importantly, it's kinda blowing my mind that I'm commenting on a threat I first commented on 11 years ago.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Folk metal is one of the most popular genres out there, probably due to how accessible and catchy it is. If you can, do yourself a favor and try to catch a show. Obviously don't know where abouts you're from, but here in the USA Paganfest should be right around the corner. Korpiklaani always headlines and they are so much fun to watch live.

Most importantly, it's kinda blowing my mind that I'm commenting on a threat I first commented on 11 years ago.

i havent really gone to many folk metal shows TBH its catchy as hell but power metal and some good old Nekrogoblikon is good for the health

its actually one of my most preferred genres, ive seen Trollfest, Koorkiplaani (2-3X), Elluvietie 2x, Finntroll 2-3x, Ensiferum 2x, Alestorm 4 times atleast, Wintersun, Amon Amarth, Black Guard

one concert had Trollfest, Koorpiklaani and Ensiferum. but the best show i ever saw was Sabaton/Kreator last year.

i didnt see equilibrium but they're also F'ing awesome

groups like Battle beast, Beast in black, Power Wolf, Primal fear, Kreator, Sabaton, Nightwish, Accept, Nordheim, Iron Saviour, Children of Bodom, Nightland, Whispered and 5 star grave al have great music. i could try naming a few more but you'd probably know of them.

Last edited:

Nidogod

its actually one of my most preferred genres, ive seen Trollfest, Koorkiplaani (2-3X), Elluvietie 2x, Finntroll 2-3x, Ensiferum 2x, Alestorm 4 times atleast, Wintersun, Amon Amarth, Black Guard

one concert had Trollfest, Koorpiklaani and Ensiferum. but the best show i ever saw was Sabaton/Kreator last year.

i didnt see equilibrium but they're also F'ing awesome

groups like Battle beast, Beast in black, Power Wolf, Primal fear, Kreator, Sabaton, Nightwish, Accept, Nordheim, Iron Saviour, Children of Bodom, Nightland, Whispered and 5 star grave al have great music. i could try naming a few more but you'd probably know of them.

I'm jealous you got to see Finntroll so many times, I've only seen them once and never saw any mention of a Northeast tour since then. I would also love to see Wintersun, I missed a few opportunities but they're high on my list. I agree, Equilibrium seems like they'd be a lot of fun to see live. As for your list, yeah I'm familiar with them all, Whispered was the most surprising to discover. How often do you get to tell people you found an eastern folk influenced Finnish melodeath band that sings in English about Samurais? Over the last few years I've kinda gotten sick of power metal and don't listen to much anymore, but I'll still always love Gamma Ray, older Blind Guardian, Galneryus, Orden Ogan, and Iced Earth. Also, Visigoth's album last year, Conqueror's Oath, was absolutely incredible.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
I'm jealous you got to see Finntroll so many times, I've only seen them once and never saw any mention of a Northeast tour since then. I would also love to see Wintersun, I missed a few opportunities but they're high on my list. I agree, Equilibrium seems like they'd be a lot of fun to see live. As for your list, yeah I'm familiar with them all, Whispered was the most surprising to discover. How often do you get to tell people you found an eastern folk influenced Finnish melodeath band that sings in English about Samurais? Over the last few years I've kinda gotten sick of power metal and don't listen to much anymore, but I'll still always love Gamma Ray, older Blind Guardian, Galneryus, Orden Ogan, and Iced Earth. Also, Visigoth's album last year, Conqueror's Oath, was absolutely incredible.

i do have a page bookmarked for ATM 191 YT vids with 2-3hr blocks of power metal that im slowly working thru, atm at #130 though they are bands im not too familiar with so its same old same old but the beat still is pretty similar. still try to get to listening those once in a while but i do take periodic breaks from them. one of those vids played a song by Whispered so i cant say the vids are a waste of time as i get to find new bands that id normally not come across. some of the of the older bands still hold their place on my list of bands that i like.

some concerts counted as proper concerts , others were counted as out door festival ie Heavy MTL/Montreal. the outdoor ones were Wintersun, 1 Finntroll and probably a few that i forget were there if i could get off my butt and verify the previous bands' appearances at Heavy MTL.

Nightwish, Sabaton, Alestorm, Elluvietie, children of bodom, Kreator, Battle beast, Koorpiklaani are some of my must see shows though sometimes some bands open for a main show by another band that im not too crazy about. my first concert was Sabaton/Accept and it was Sabaton's first show in Montreal/Canada, that very night Kreator also had competing concert that i made a hard choice to pass on. though it was true hell (or heaven in normie terms) when both bands joined on a tour. the crowd was so damn loud for literally 90% of the concert, still sends goosebumps hearing the crowd vocalising Swedish Pagans by Sabaton.

i had a chance to see Nekrogoblikon/Sabaton but some one messed up and the show was cancelled (they stayed south of the border ie USA). the show came back but Nekrogoblikon wasnt on the bill :(. Both Sabaton and Alestorm put on a hell of a good show in crowd participation and humor. lol Alestorm spent $300 on a big inflatable rubber duck per show last year. the song they played was drink at the 2018 heavy MTL show and one smart person tried to deflated the ducky but thankfully failed.

Last edited:

Nidogod

i had a chance to see Nekrogoblikon/Sabaton but some one messed up and the show was cancelled (they stayed south of the border ie USA). the show came back but Nekrogoblikon wasnt on the bill :(. Both Sabaton and Alestorm put on a hell of a good show in crowd participation and humor. lol Alestorm spent $300 on a big inflatable rubber duck per show last year. the song they played was drink at the 2018 heavy MTL show and one smart person tried to deflated the ducky but thankfully failed.

I've never caught Nekrogoblikon but would definitely like to. I've followed them since the very beginning. Hate to date myself, but here goes nothing, I remember contacting the band via MySpace to get their first album Goblin Island in like 2006 o_O. I caught Alestorm once, I know they and Powerglove opened, but I forget who they opened for, it was a while ago. Yes, they were so much fun, they threw two inflatable swords into the crowd and my girlfriend and I managed to get them and had a duel. Powerglove was incredible, they had full size Pokemon cut outs on stage and threw handfuls of candy out to the crowd the whole show. When they played the Pokemon theme they didn't sing it at all, the crowd sang the whole thing. The only other times I've ever seen that is when Blind Guardian does The Bard's Song.

I actually have a somewhat interesting story about Sabaton as well. The first time I saw them was in 2012 in Philadelphia. It was one of those awkward weeknight shows like a Wednesday or something and it was raining and cold in the springtime, the only reason I went was because I lived there at the time and it was like a 10 minute bike ride away. Understandably, given the circumstances, there was maybe 60 people there, tops. They didn't even open up the whole venue because the turnout was so low. But Sabaton came on and played like they were playing to a stadium. Joakim kept saying how excited he was to be playing in the US and how he was getting goosebumps after every song. They could've easily been pissed and mailed it in but they really took it like champs. That must've been right before they absolutely exploded, at least in the US. It's just nice to know that a band was humble and worked hard before they got big and now their success is 100% earned. Funny enough, I saw Sabaton again almost3 years later at the same venue opening for Iced Earth (sold out show) and that show was almost exactly 10 years after I saw Iced Earth at that venue previously as my first concert. It was like literally 10 years a week, April 2005 at the Trocadero and then April 2015.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
I've never caught Nekrogoblikon but would definitely like to. I've followed them since the very beginning. Hate to date myself, but here goes nothing, I remember contacting the band via MySpace to get their first album Goblin Island in like 2006 o_O. I caught Alestorm once, I know they and Powerglove opened, but I forget who they opened for, it was a while ago. Yes, they were so much fun, they threw two inflatable swords into the crowd and my girlfriend and I managed to get them and had a duel. Powerglove was incredible, they had full size Pokemon cut outs on stage and threw handfuls of candy out to the crowd the whole show. When they played the Pokemon theme they didn't sing it at all, the crowd sang the whole thing. The only other times I've ever seen that is when Blind Guardian does The Bard's Song.

I actually have a somewhat interesting story about Sabaton as well. The first time I saw them was in 2012 in Philadelphia. It was one of those awkward weeknight shows like a Wednesday or something and it was raining and cold in the springtime, the only reason I went was because I lived there at the time and it was like a 10 minute bike ride away. Understandably, given the circumstances, there was maybe 60 people there, tops. They didn't even open up the whole venue because the turnout was so low. But Sabaton came on and played like they were playing to a stadium. Joakim kept saying how excited he was to be playing in the US and how he was getting goosebumps after every song. They could've easily been pissed and mailed it in but they really took it like champs. That must've been right before they absolutely exploded, at least in the US. It's just nice to know that a band was humble and worked hard before they got big and now their success is 100% earned. Funny enough, I saw Sabaton again almost3 years later at the same venue opening for Iced Earth (sold out show) and that show was almost exactly 10 years after I saw Iced Earth at that venue previously as my first concert. It was like literally 10 years a week, April 2005 at the Trocadero and then April 2015.

you can never predict what sort of inflatable items you'd see at an Alestorm concert, the ballon swords were a hilarious idea. at Heavy mtl last year some people brought an "inflatable" human (cant properly describe that inflatable on these forums) named carl and carl had the camera's focus a few times. they had the huge rubber duck on stage and all i could thing of is when will they "free" the duck to travel.

Christopher Bowes is one amazing person in a few ways, he must have a stomach made of titanium. in the span of 1 song he had a full glass of rum and then some other 40% alcohol to get himself a bit drunk LOL. i dont know if my stomach could handle that and still feel fine the day following. i did see Nekrogoblikon once at heavy mtl before i really got into the band.

Sabaton is amazing, they are full of energy and i guess once they really got going they they make for an amazing show. i saw them back in 2011, april 17 2011, man do i feel old now.... it was their first time in Canada for a tour and Montreal was the first venue. i make it a point to see them every time though there was one year where they had 2 concerts within a 3 month span, i opted for the first of the 2. i was also at the iced earth/Sabaton in montreal back then, still remember lining up for it i believe.

Last edited: