• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

31st Funk

Superunknown.
Well, I really like Kyuss, great Stoner Metal band and Electric Wizard which is a good Doom Metal. Old Metallica is great too but damn, Death Magnetic is a great album. Iron Maiden, Slayer and Black Sabbath are great too.

Last edited:

Lucdawg

Only For the Weak
Voivod was in Guitar Hero II that's about all I remember of them, I don't listen to them much.

BTW: Seeing as 31st funk brought it up, I was wondering if anyone knew any good Doom Metal Bands. I want to get a good gist of the genre but I have a hard time finding anything on it.

Freya

Noam Chompsky
Voivod was in Guitar Hero II that's about all I remember of them, I don't listen to them much.

BTW: Seeing as 31st funk brought it up, I was wondering if anyone knew any good Doom Metal Bands. I want to get a good gist of the genre but I have a hard time finding anything on it.

I believe The Sword is considered Doom Metal.

EDIT: On the subject of Flotsam and Jetsam, they are pretty good, I got into them because Metallicas 2nd Bassist was in the band for their first album.

31st Funk

Superunknown.

Try with the most famous of all, Black Sabbath or with Electric Wizard.

Last edited:

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Trouble is widely considered one of the progenitors of doom, and they're pretty good, but the guy's voice can be a bit screechy on earlier albums, so, if you don't like high voiced dudes singin' yer ****, get Simple Mind Condition, their latest.

P.S. genre check on Voivod? I've heard of them, never heard anything by them.

Deathconsciousness

mraaaaaaaaaaaa
P.S. genre check on Voivod? I've heard of them, never heard anything by them.
I know of them as a thrash metal band. Never once listened to them though.

Also it kind of depends on what kind of doom you are after. Most of it is really pretty bad.

The Admiral

I know of them as a thrash metal band. Never once listened to them though.

Alright. I trust you, though, even without having listened, since you usually tend to nail this. I'll check my dad's computer later tonight, when I get home.

Also it kind of depends on what kind of doom you are after. Most of it is really pretty bad.

Less "bad" than "boring." Stoner doom is, naturally, awesome, and drone-doom is great, too (more of a once-in-a-while thing for me, though). But, I'll agree, some straight doom bands are boring and/or bad.

Deathconsciousness

mraaaaaaaaaaaa
Funeral Doom is good also. probably the best kind of doom. though I don't think it is the easiest to listen to if you're not up for 10/20 minutes of droning with a man growling over the top.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
Yeah, Voivod is thrash metal.

I believe The Sword is considered Doom Metal.

Really? I honestly wouldn't have guessed. Then again, I haven't listened to them all that much.

On the subject of Flotsam and Jetsam, they are pretty good, I got into them because Metallicas 2nd Bassist was in the band for their first album.

After Jason left Metallica, he started playing in Voivod, which is why I named both Flotsam and Jetsam and Voivod in the same post.

Freya

Noam Chompsky
Really? I honestly wouldn't have guessed. Then again, I haven't listened to them all that much.

Their Doom Metal/Alt Metal/Stoner Rock/Some other ****.

After Jason left Metallica, he started playing in Voivod, which is why I named both Flotsam and Jetsam and Voivod in the same post.

I thought he was with Ozzy.

Kollar

Have any of you heard of Voivod or Flotsam and Jetsam? Quite good, yet relatively underrated bands. Sadly, the most famous Voivod song is a Pink Floyd cover, though Flotsam and Jetsam's "Hammerhead" and "No Place for Disgrace" are quite good. In fact, Flotsam and Jetsam's Doomsday for the Deceiver album is great. My personal favorite from Voivod would have to be "Warriors of Ice."

I found Voivod to be terrible at first, but after listening to the entire Nothingface album I changed my mind. Although their singer sound like he does a lot of drugs.

Babey_blue

Foreva and alwaez...
No metal cant stand it at all!! high school musical all the way

Nidogod

Funeral Doom is good also. probably the best kind of doom. though I don't think it is the easiest to listen to if you're not up for 10/20 minutes of droning with a man growling over the top.

How do you feel about Thergothon? The first time I listened to Stream from the Heavens it practically ruined my day it was so bleak and depressing.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
I thought he was with Ozzy.

That would be a surprise, though after learning that Zakk Wylde once did a few songs with the Allman Brothers Band, I'm not too surprised at anything. Well, Zakk does play quite a bit of southern metal...

No metal cant stand it at all!! high school musical all the way

Purge your soul of this demon with an overdose of Death's Human and Sodom's M-16.

Anyways, I checked a bit further into Cynic's Traced in Air. It has been my first taste of Cynic, so I probably should have heard Focus first. I am quite pleased, though it might be hard leaving the style of Traced in Air for the heavier style of Focus.

Tim the turtle

Happy Mudkip
Just picked up Burst's Lazarus Bird, Protest the Hero's Fortress (Sorry HK but I gotta see what all the hype is about) and November Doom's The Pale Haunt Departure. Giving listens to all three now.

The Admiral

That would be a surprise, though after learning that Zakk Wylde once did a few songs with the Allman Brothers Band, I'm not too surprised at anything. Well, Zakk does play quite a bit of southern metal...

Trujillo played with the Ozzman before joining Metallica. I think Newsted played with Ozzy at some point, too.

By the way, I got hold of Voivod's Nothingface -- not bad, actually! The Pink Floyd cover is pretty cool, but not the best Pink Floyd cover I've heard in metal. That's still Queensryche's "Welcome to the Machine."

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
I personally prefer War and Pain to Nothingface. The latter is usually considered one of their best, but War and Pain has the amazing "Warriors of Ice." That's going without even mentioning "Voivod," "Nuclear War," or "Black City."

Also, I've been relistening to Sodom's M-16 a bit. It is my favorite by the band; though "Marines" is a bit overrated. It deserves a lot of its hype, though. The title track is what I've been listening to repeatedly for the last few minutes or so, along with "Napalm in the Morning." Just a brutal, fast, insane feel. That's real thrash metal.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
the question "why did I pick this username?" thickens the air.
It originated from a certain incident in middle school, specifically sixth grade.

I was young.

You're like someone else I know. He loves that release more than anything else, but I still don't get how it could possibly be higher than something like Hesperus.
Traced in Air touches me in ways that I didn't think possible.

And no, expected pedophilia jokes do not count.

Asva I had heard of, as it was mentioned alongside Stephen O))) Malley this or Stephen O))) Malley that [and I do lo)))ve that man]. But ambience can be done so badly and I tend to avoid it, unless it is something I know [usually].
I doubt any Black Metal release will be better than Dark Space III. That band is absolutely unstoppable.
You will love the Asva album. I would be stunned if you didn't.

Krallice isn't ambient like Dark Space is, but I think you'll like that, as well.

And why recommend something you know I wont like?!
On the less likely chance that you will like it!

Just picked up Burst's Lazarus Bird,

Don't forget anything you have yet to pick up from this list:

5ive - Hesperus [Instrumental metal.]
Asva - What You Don't Know is Frontier [Ambient drone doom, except more palatable.]
Burst - Lazarus Bird [Experimental sludge metal.]
Cynic - Traced in Air [Progressive technical metal with a few elements of death metal and jazz remaining from Focus, though not as prominent.]
Earth - The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull [Ambient, slightly country-inspired metal. Better than than the description makes it sound.]
Intronaut - Prehistoricisms [Sludge metal with more hardcore.]
Krallice - Krallice [Black metal that doesn't suck and is great.]
Mouth of the Architect - Quietly [Slude metal with post-rock.]

Protest the Hero's Fortress (Sorry HK but I gotta see what all the hype is about)
No, that is understandable.

I initially thought it was nice, then liked it, then it grew off me. All of this happened relatively quickly.