• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metamorphosis (Preview)

Saffire Persian

Now you see me...
Well, when I was thinking about something to write in between while I work on my other stories, this one came to mind after I read over something a reviewer of mine said. It's a short story, and it's going to be split into exactly three parts. In lieu of my more..erm.. sad one-shot, I thought I'd go with a different more 'happy' road. It's also focused entirely on the characters, (two, specifically) so if you're looking for a deep plot riddled with angst and tragedy... this one probably isn't for you. You could call this an Original Trainer, but the essence of 'Pokémon Training' as most think of, has very little to do with the story.

It's written in the same style as The Ties that Bind and focuses on a human character, and a Pokémon character. Here's a short preview from Pt. 1, so feel free to tell me what you think.

Metamorphosis

You are running quickly, caring only that you put as much distance from between you and your cousin Stella as possible. You can still hear her counting up to one hundred like you made her, although, knowing your cousin, she doesn’t always play fair. She thinks she does, but she’s stupid in that way. Once, in a game of ring toss, she insisted she had won because she had gotten all the rings on the hooks. It was right enough, but the truth of the matter is she only got them on the hooks because she had walked right up to the objects you threw the rings on and dropped the rings onto them.

Her parents and your parents praised her for her ingenuity (Dad said that meant ‘smart’) and creativity.

You just called her stupid.

That, and a no good cheater.

Because of the memory, you run all the more faster, glaring back in the direction where she should be standing, and scowl.

She’s your cousin after all. And as your cousin, she’s bound to cheat.

(But the Viridian Forest has many places to hide.)

You haven’t been here much, since your mother watches you like a hawk; but you do know that the small forest offers many nooks and crannies to hide. You’ve heard the stories that float around school about all the ‘mysterious treasures’ around here, hidden in secret passageways, enclosed in orbs that look like pokéballs. The forest holds every ingredient for an adventure for a kid such as yourself. In fact, you have already gone on one or two ‘secret’ outings with a few kids from school, looking for treasure.

But at the moment, treasure hunting is not a part of your eight-year-old agenda. Hiding is, and hiding fast. You can’t hear Stella counting anymore, and because she likes to talk loudly (she practically yells), you know that the reason you can’t hear her counting anymore isn’t because you’re too far away.

You snort in indignation. She didn’t even get to twenty-five! The nerve of her!

Trying to make as little noise as possible, you run down the dirt path, spotting a likely bunch of berry bushes just in front of you, surrounded by a few trees. Thick and bushy, it’s as good of a place as any to hide.

“Whhherreee areeee you?! Come out! Come out! Wherever you are! Twenty-one! Ninety-nine! ONE HUNDRED!”

Bottling down the urge to yell at your cousin (and shamelessly tell her that she’s the biggest cheater you’ve ever seen ever), you decide to tell her she’s a big cheater only after she gives up. And only then. You then dive into the berry bushes without hesitation (though you’re still fuming; she needs to play fair!), wrinkling your nose at the overwhelming berry-smell. Pleasant as it may be, it’s stifling to you.

Well, she won’t be able to smell me, then, you think.

Hunkering down amidst the large, thick bushes, you watch (well you try to watch, you can’t exactly see much from where you are) and try to listen to where your cousin is going; from the sounds of her voice, she’s walking away.

Good, you can find another hiding place if needs be. It’s not cheating, and even if it is, if she can cheat, so can you. Fair is fair, right?

As her voice fades away into the forest, your heartbeat slows its desperate pounding, and your breathing slows. Not wanting to be seen, you crawl across the ground on your hands and knees, blissfully unaware on how much anguish you will cause your mother when you come home, clothes worn and dirty. Squirming through a rather thick patch, your face peeks out of the bushes, your eyes furtively darting left and right. A large shape suddenly fills the whole of your vision, its large, black eyes boring into yours.

A split-second later, when your brain has finally registered what exactly is going on, you scream. You scream as loud as you possibly can, holding nothing back.

You stop screaming abruptly.

Not because of someone coming to your rescue, but because at the moment you began screaming the bug-thing started screaming too, its ‘squeeing’ voice high-pitched and shrill. However, unlike you, it shows no signs of stopping. All you can do is stare and blink as its black eyes go as wide as saucepans, while it rises up on its green body like a snake Pokémon would.

Suddenly, its eyes roll to the back of its head, and it falls straight backwards onto its back. It doesn’t move, and it isn’t screaming anymore. Hesitantly, you poke it; it’s as stiff as a plank of wood.

Last edited:

Quackerdrill

say yes to love
Ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh Pers, interesting stuff! You managed to pull this unique style on us again! And it worked wonderfully. It really helps to get yourself involved with the character. But sad to say, this was no Ties That Bind. Yeah, it was more lighthearted and such, but this introductory stuff really isn't much in the heartfelt department. However this little snippet was charming in its own way and in many ways was a reminder of lost youth. (When was the last time I played hide and seek?? XD)

There were some noticable errors (I hope I'm not being too picky here):
Her parents and your parents praised her for her ingenuity (Dad said that meant ‘smart’) and creativeness.
Creativeness? I'm not sure. Maybe creativity is the word. ^_^
Bottling down the urge to yell at your cousin (and shamelessly tell her that she’s the biggest cheater you’ve ever seen ever)
I really like this passage, but the repetition is a bit too much. Get rid of the last ever (or the first one, whichever you think works best) and you're golden. Easy fix.
...blissfully unaware on how much anguish you will cause your mother when you come home, clothes warn and dirty.
First- "on" should be "of" instead, really. Second- Warn? 'Tis worn that is the term in this case. Even easier fixes. See? Nothing huge to worry about.

So yeah, great start. I like this, and I'm extremely interested in where this might head... have fun with it. ^_^

Saffire Persian

Now you see me...
Thanks for your comments! I fixed all those killed all those stupid errors with the exception of the 'ever' repetition. That one was done on purpose. ^^ I dunno, it seemed like an eight-year-old to repeat the word, though perhaps I'll cut that out in the final version, we'll see.

Yes, it's no Ties that Bind, and I wasn't expecting it to be. This one will be a fun short-story (hopefully), and will have a little bit of humor and stuff added in it, though hopefully some of the scenes will tug at the heartstrings a little bit (at least, that's what I'm hoping).

But, we'll see, I suppose. ^_^

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain
The thing that struck me above all was how realistically kid-like the main character is portrayed as being; the mentality and thoughts that "I" am described as having are accurately those you'd expect from an eight-year-old. (Ha ha, I just kinda said that "I" am an eight-year-old... XP) Second-person-perspective is handled adroitly yet again; you really are good at this. Tres impressive. ^^

Anyway, I rather enjoyed this, although I kind of wanted to punch the cousin, that dirty cheater. XD I'd definitely like to read more of this kind of thing.

Xiang

Nice. Once again, very detailed and catchy on the spot. I'm glad you didn't spend almost any time on describing the surroundings, because it would've ruined the concentration on "you" and the cousin. So this is 2nd person...

I have a small idea of what happened without thinking about how. Post it up in the fanfiction section, and I will make some time to read it.

:D

Saffire Persian

Now you see me...
At first, I wanted to punch the character's cousin, too.. XD.. But I now kinda like her, Sike. XD But yeah, I tried to portray eight-year-olds accurately... HOpefully by the time I get this up, I will have succeeded.

Ratiasu: Yes, the 'what happened' is somewhat of a mystery in this segment - kinda a bad spot to leave off, as I noticed. ^^ But the character ran into a very familiar pokemon we all know and (Perhaps) love.

Act

Let's Go Rangers!
Heylo.

I really enjoyed this... I read it a few days ago and didn't want to be the first to post, so I don't remeber if I saw any errors or not. I have a hunch as far as what it's about goes... if it's [SPOIL]a metpod/kakuna and it's trek to evolving and that kind of thing[/SPOIL] my advice would be to make sure to make it matter. If the fic just sort of happens and the reader goes, "Well, that was fun, but so what?" it's not good. Make us come away with something. Like a life lesson. xP

ANYWAY. Yeah, it was a light, easy, enjoyable, and deftly written read, which is always refreshing.

What a short post.

Saffire Persian

Now you see me...
I do hope the story leaves readers going away with something to remember. You're right in your assumptions (Though the Pokémon it is happens to be a stage lower from one of the two you suggested), not its evolved form. Thanks for your comments. ^^;