• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metroid. Basic platformer or Run&Gun-platformer?

Manaphione123

Merely A Puppet
Dear Mods, please feel free to lock this if it doesn't fit or something. I just wanted to know what people thought so I had an idea(having never played one)

So, what do you think? Is it a bog-standard platformer like Mario or is it a Run&Gun type platformer like a mix between Mario and Metal Slug?

Well first off if you've never played one go buy Super metroid on the vc right NOW! They are amazing games.
As for how it playes I've never played metal slug so I can't compare it to that but I would say its more of an exploritory game than a simple get to the end platformer like mario and takes more percision than a run & gun game. Its kind of hard to explain but trust me it is fun.

Kabuto

little punks!
Its more basic. At the most its like Megaman. I wouldn't compare it to Metal Slug because thats action packed every second. Metroid has much more exploration, which makes it unique from the typical action game.

Manaphione123

Merely A Puppet
Its more basic. At the most its like Megaman. I wouldn't compare it to Metal Slug because thats action packed every second. Metroid has much more exploration, which makes it unique from the typical action game.

Ah yes, I have got MegaMan 9 (only beaten 1 boss though) and quite enjoy it. @ Master of Fossils, I think I will get Super Metroid on VC and definitely want Metroid: otherM when it comes out on Wii.

@ Master of Fossils, I think I will get Super Metroid on VC and definitely want Metroid: otherM when it comes out on Wii.

IMO Super Metroid is the best out of the 2d metroid games, probobly the best super nintendo game period. If you enjoy it though I highly suggest that you get the metroid prime trilogy, which is being released in august(?) for the wii. It has all 3 prime games for &49.99 with the excellent Prime 3 controlls. All of which are also amazing games. But the $8 it costs to get super metroid is DEFENETLY worth it.

Manaphione123

Merely A Puppet
IMO Super Metroid is the best out of the 2d metroid games, probobly the best super nintendo game period. If you enjoy it though I highly suggest that you get the metroid prime trilogy, which is being released in august(?) for the wii. It has all 3 prime games for &49.99 with the excellent Prime 3 controlls. All of which are also amazing games. But the $8 it costs to get super metroid is DEFENETLY worth it.

I also do want Metroid Prime Trilogy as my friend has Hunters and Prime 3 and I really enjoyed playing them both. I really enjoy Megaman 9 and want to play all the Metroid games that I can.
EDIT: Rank up!!!

Last edited:
Metroid is easily it's own thing. It's an action game, but it involves platforming, shooting, exploring, and non-linear adventures.
Kid Icarus is the same, although that's something different, so I won't get into that.
Metroid isn't either just a "basic" platformer nor is it a run & gun platformer. There's exploration, and as the player, you decide where to go and who to kill. It's a game set apart from most others, so there's really no good comparison to make.