• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metroid Discussion Thread

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
Just use this!

As for the Prime series, the is the Metroid Prime Collection for the Wii which contains all 3 games. Prime Hunters for the DS was also quite fun as well. I didn't like the battle mode though as I was terrible at it (this is why I hate 3rd person shooters).

I like this map. Helps to know what you need before you can go certain places. That way you don't need to go through a million corridors only to find you need some item and have to go all the way back.

The Prime series was epic. But I didn't like Hunters. Retro Studios is what made the series great.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
The Prime series was epic. But I didn't like Hunters. Retro Studios is what made the series great.

Absolutely. I tried Hunters and didn't like it much. The other Prime games are incredible, but I have yet to beat Echoes. Luckily, I got the Trilogy, so I can play it with Wii controls.

Cobalt_Latios

You should be looking forward to it. Metroid Fusion is one of the best games ever, I kid you not. I've played it so many times because it's so fun. It's also really scary and suspenseful sometimes, so be prepared for that.
Besides Zero Mission, it's a great way to jump into the Metroid series. It's in the 2D format (which is what the previous entries are all in), it features all the classic upgrades from the previous games (except a few from Super Metroid, but most of those are featured in Metroid Prime anyways), features some of the villains, gives you a good idea of some of Samus's character (the monologues), and while it's not the best for sequence breaking, it still features a good amount of exploration.

Also, Nightmare is an amazingly awesome/creepy boos. IMO, RidleyX was thrown in there as a way to appeal to the "older" Metroid fans.

'CL

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
You should be looking forward to it. Metroid Fusion is one of the best games ever, I kid you not. I've played it so many times because it's so fun. It's also really scary and suspenseful sometimes, so be prepared for that.
I've played it 6 or 7 times, how many for you?

Yeah, I have to agree. I love this game so much. For a while, I could name all the bosses in order.

I like Nettori, the plant boss. It was almost like the whole room was a boss in and of itself. It was pretty easy for me, but I always looked forward to this boss.

Cobalt_Latios

I dunno about the love part, but I think he should have made an appearance in Other M.
He was supposed to make an appearance in Prime 1, but they just didn't have the time to implement him.

'CL

Icay4321

It wasn't the lack of time, he was even coded, but he just got scrapped. I actually believe you could fight him in a demo.

Xanthe

God-Slaying Sword
I absolutely LOVE the Metroid series! I didn't start playing the games until Metroid Fusion came into it, but that was such an awesome game. I enjoyed the first two Prime games - especially the second, both the Dark Samus battles and the entire landscape of Sanctuary Fortress were incredible - but I felt it ended a bit poorly with Corruption. I really didn't see the need for all the unexplained and undeveloped characters (much as I love Gandrayda's design) in it when Samus alone would have been sufficient.

That said, I detest Other M. Samus' portrayal in that was so painfully sexist that I traded the game in immediately after I'd finished it - it's the first time I've ever been happy that a game has been so short and easy that I've finished it in under eight hours. Other M completely tore down the picture of Samus as a strong and independant female protagonist that had been built up over the years. I wouldn't even consider it a part of the series.

...the cameos were nice, though. Seeing the Nightmare was both enjoyable and painful, because that boss gave me so much hassle in Fusion...

I wonder if they'll ever release Metroid Dread in some format...it'd be nice to see it for 3DS. I'm pretty sure the story was fully written, so perhaps they'd use that for a 3DS or Wii-U game? Although if they're going to make another Metroid game, I'd prefer to see something either like the 2D games or the Prime games...if the next game is anything at all like Other M, I am never touching the series again.

natie

Mr. F
Other M was pretty fun, if you didn't think of it as being a Metroid game.

Kabutopzilla

En Prócsem
Other M's gameplay was really damn good, a bit flawed, but that was mostly the controls' fault. I'd love to see more Metroid games with that gameplay format (albeit slightly modified).

It wasn't even the story that was the problem. It was Samus's character, plus her many monologues (a lot of which weren't exactly well-written).

They could have also added a little scene during the Ridley encounter that explained why Samus hates Ridley in the first place, plus a scene showing the death of Ridley and destruction of Zebes (akin to the spoiler-ridden intro). That would've averted what fueled so much fan outrage and confusion.

Xanthe

God-Slaying Sword
Other M's controls were flawed, I agree - that was a game that NEEDED nunchuk compatibility, really. It would have been much easier to move around...not to mention it would have allowed us to move around in first-person, which the game really needed. I can't say I really enjoyed it at all; terrible writing and voice acting aside, it was just too unwieldy. It looked pretty, but most games these days do.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
I've played it 6 or 7 times, how many for you?

Man, I've had it for so long, I can't even remember how many times I've played it through. I tried doing that Shinespark trick in sector 4 to get to the secret cutscene, but I got so fed up that I just looked it up on Youtube.

(If you have no idea what I'm talking about, this should clear things up a bit. Normally, you have to go a different way and get the diffusion missiles before you gen get to the navigation room, but with a little Shinespark manipulation, you can get there without the diffusion missiles.)

Has anyone seen The Gaming Brit's Other M video? He makes some good points, he just dosn't seem to like the game. And as always he's funny to listen to. :)