• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metroid Series Thread

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
With the announcement of both Prime 4 and Samus Returns today, and therefore confirmation that the Metroid franchise is not dead, I figured it would be apt to open up a Metroid thread.

It may have just been a teaser, but the announcement of Prime 4 was easily on the top of my list of E3 moments. I knew this day would come eventually, but I didn't think it would be so soon.

And then there's Samus Returns. It's interesting that it's quite literally the first 2D Metroid game we've gotten since Zero Mission in 2004, 13 years ago. That's insane. Normally I'm against the idea of making 2D games when 3D exists, that's why I've never been a big fan of the New Super Mario Bros series or the recent Sonic games, but I think Metroid might just be the one franchise that I feel the two versions can co-exist. I'm little disappointed it's on 3DS instead of Switch, but I'll live with it. I never played Metroid II, so I'm especially interested in this game. To anyone who saw today's footage and played the original, can you give me an idea on how much has changed?

Also, I would just like to point out the fact of how extremely appropriate that game's name is. Samus Returns. It's been six years since our last Metroid game, but now Samus has returned.

Last edited:

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
As a Metroid fan myself, I'm really hyped for both Metroid games. I didn't even think we would get a Metroid game this soon after the Federation Force 'fiasco' (as many call it) last year. I never played Metroid II, so this is my perfect chance to play it in a modern form.

And for the record, it's like a year since the last Metroid. Federation Force is a Metroid game, it's too late to deny that now, it happened. The rest of your 'Samus Returns' point still holds though, it's indeed six (now seven) years since we last played as Samus in a Metroid game. :p

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
As a Metroid fan myself, I'm really hyped for both Metroid games. I didn't even think we would get a Metroid game this soon after the Federation Force 'fiasco' (as many call it) last year. I never played Metroid II, so this is my perfect chance to play it in a modern form.

Honestly, as much as people hated Federation Force, it's the one thing that gave me hope that the franchise wasn't dead. There's no reason that you create an out-of-the-blue spin-off for a dead franchise. I always thought of it as hold-over until they were able to release the real thing, especially given the tease at the end of the game.

And for the record, it's like a year since the last Metroid. Federation Force is a Metroid game, it's too late to deny that now, it happened. The rest of your 'Samus Returns' point still holds though, it's indeed six (now seven) years since we last played as Samus in a Metroid game. :p

Well, sure, on the strictest of technicalities, but a spin-off hardly counts. And you are right, it has been seven years. I was thinking Other M came out in 2011, not 2010.

Houka

Well I thought they were planing something, FF was just a way to tell everyone that a Metroid game is coming but still in development kind or thing.

I haven't seen much of the game yet to say for sure but look like the Metroid are gonna be quite hostile (they sort of just appear and can be easy taken down in the original). the defensive move along with that special attack are indeed new (looks like a bit of Other M fighting style is in here, which I like quite a bit).

So excited about Samus Returns & of course Prime 4! An official Metroid 2 remake is something I always thought would be really cool but never expected to actually happen, so MSR's announcement was a huge treat for me.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
So who do you think is Metroid Prime 4's developer? I heard rumors it's Next Level Games but Nintendo keeps their involvement a secret after the Federation Force fiasco (or until a gameplay trailer reveal anyway). If it's true, I would feel mixed about it. They did a good job with FF, but I don't think they can handle a main Prime game.

Just look at the lore of FF: they went into the trouble of naming planets and creatures as well characters, but several other things like races and other important things like the Liquid and the minerals were left unnamed. It's like they were alienated between giving a name to all of these or only to some. And the info from the various terminals felt like ...is that it? It wasn't enough at times, I wanted to know more. In other words, NLG's involvement= good gameplay - minimal world-building.

Other than that, FF is a good game, at least for me. So, back to my question... Who do you think develops Prime 4?

R_N

So who do you think is Metroid Prime 4's developer? I heard rumors it's Next Level Games but Nintendo keeps their involvement a secret after the Federation Force fiasco (or until a gameplay trailer reveal anyway). If it's true, I would feel mixed about it. They did a good job with FF, but I don't think they can handle a main Prime game.

Just look at the lore of FF: they went into the trouble of naming planets and creatures as well characters, but several other things like races and other important things like the Liquid and the minerals were left unnamed. It's like they were alienated between giving a name to all of these or only to some. And the info from the various terminals felt like ...is that it? It wasn't enough at times, I wanted to know more. In other words, NLG's involvement= good gameplay - minimal world-building.

Other than that, FF is a good game, at least for me. So, back to my question... Who do you think develops Prime 4?

I think it's at least being lead by an internal person, I remember seeing the press sheet on it.

BCVM22

It's Kensuke Tanabe, who was credited as either a co-producer or the sole producer on all three previous Metroid Prime titles plus Hunters.

Houka

Well that can be tribute with a few things though I'm don't know much on FF's development cycle. Could be management issues thus why is seem half finish but who know. I believe Nintendo would be a bit more careful since Other M was pretty bad (I don't think so but most people do).

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
since Other M was pretty bad (I don't think so but most people do).

Hey, I found someone else who liked Other M. I totally admit it was lacking compared to other Metroid games, especially Prime, and it did have some glaring issues, but I respect it enough for trying to make a story-based Metroid game and finally giving Samus a voice that I don't mind as much as others seem to.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
Hey, I found someone else who liked Other M. I totally admit it was lacking compared to other Metroid games, especially Prime, and it did have some glaring issues, but I respect it enough for trying to make a story-based Metroid game and finally giving Samus a voice that I don't mind as much as others seem to.

I like Other M too. Though I do agree that it needed some improvements on certain areas. And regarding the story, I think we should settle for two separate canons in Metroid, the main one (Zero Mission-Samus Returns-Super Metroid-Other M-Fusion) and the Prime series (Metroid-Prime-Hunters-Echoes-Corruption-Federation Force-Prime 4). Metroid: Other M clearly showed that Sakamoto chose to view the Prime series as a parallel timeline of sorts, and honestly I don't have a problem with that. It makes things easier for that series to expand in new directions, without having to worry about reaching an end soon because timeline reasons. In fact, it would be a very Nintendo thing to do.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I like Other M too. Though I do agree that it needed some improvements on certain areas. And regarding the story, I think we should settle for two separate canons in Metroid, the main one (Zero Mission-Samus Returns-Super Metroid-Other M-Fusion) and the Prime series (Metroid-Prime-Hunters-Echoes-Corruption-Federation Force-Prime 4). Metroid: Other M clearly showed that Sakamoto chose to view the Prime series as a parallel timeline of sorts, and honestly I don't have a problem with that. It makes things easier for that series to expand in new directions, without having to worry about reaching an end soon because timeline reasons. In fact, it would be a very Nintendo thing to do.

I've never really looked into it that hard before. What about Other M contradicts Prime?

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
I've never really looked into it that hard before. What about Other M contradicts Prime?

Lots of things. For example, Samus states that the mission in Other M is the first time she's working directly with the Federation ever since she left it, while in Prime 3 she works with them throughout the game (she even helps them seize the Pirate Homeworld!). There's also the matter with the Pirates; in the Prime series they are shown as intelligent beings, having science teams and being a legitimate threat, while in Other M we learn that without a powerful being to control them, they are just feral animals without much capability for thought.

Also, Sakamoto himself said in an interview that he sees Prime and its sequels as a parallel timeline.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Lots of things. For example, Samus states that the mission in Other M is the first time she's working directly with the Federation ever since she left it, while in Prime 3 she works with them throughout the game (she even helps them seize the Pirate Homeworld!). There's also the matter with the Pirates; in the Prime series they are shown as intelligent beings, having science teams and being a legitimate threat, while in Other M we learn that without a powerful being to control them, they are just feral animals without much capability for thought.

Now that you mention it, I remember taking note of those two facts as problemtic. I'm not convinced they're unexplainable discontinuities though. I decided that the definition of working directly with the Federation must have been a reference to working under a Federation Commander, as she just works alongside them in Prime 3, not under their command. As for the Space Pirates, I always just figured that we were seeing different species within the Space Pirate forces. There's the mindless Zebesians, drones from the planet Zebes, loyal to the Space Pirate organization due to Mother Brain being loyal, and then there's the sentient species we see in Prime, who are completely different, but work towards the same goal in the same organization. It's obvious by looking at them that they're not the same species, so it really isn't much of a stretch.

Also, Sakamoto himself said in an interview that he sees Prime and its sequels as a parallel timeline.

Can't really argue with that I guess. Though, nothing's written in stone, yet.

EDIT: I did a quick look at the Metroid Prime page on the Metroid Wiki and found this statement:

Yoshio Sakamoto, a producer of many of the 2-D Metroid titles, had considered making the Prime series a gaiden (side-story), but felt that would be a cop-out. With Tanabe's help, he inserted its chronological placement between Metroid/Metroid: Zero Mission and Metroid II.

I don't know if this came before or after the statement you're referring to, but it seems to suggest that Sakamoto does accept it as existing in the same timeline as the other games.

Last edited:

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
I don't know if this came before or after the statement you're referring to, but it seems to suggest that Sakamoto does accept it as existing in the same timeline as the other games.

I think it was around Other M's release, maybe later, don't remember. But it was definitely around that time period.

Houka

Yeah I really like the gameplay and the vibe throught the game was great! The story is hit or miss with me, interesting but not well develop. The voice work work well, at least I do. Really it's some of the design choices that either didn't work or were just obnoxious to deal with that I didn't really like about it.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I think it was around Other M's release, maybe later, don't remember. But it was definitely around that time period.

Hmm... The Metroid Wiki gave no comment about when the comment I found was made. With these contradictory statements present, I'm just going to keep on assuming they're all in one timeline until we get more definite proof.

Yeah I really like the gameplay and the vibe throught the game was great! The story is hit or miss with me, interesting but not well develop. The voice work work well, at least I do. Really it's some of the design choices that either didn't work or were just obnoxious to deal with that I didn't really like about it.

That's essentially my thoughts as well.

Houka

I really have no reason to believe they are separate timelines as issue with translation can indeed influences that, I do hear they original Japan script had a lot different ideas going. I'm aware the directer of other M didn't like the Prime games and just threw them a way (I think, been a while since I last seen some of the interviews).