• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metroid Series Thread

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
A couple of other things I forgot to mention in regards to the railroading/sequence breaking debate. For one, you now cannot gain powerups early by collecting their expansions early, it just says "you cannot use it yet" until you get the powerup the way they intend for you to get it. In this case, the only one being the Power Bombs, but there's little point in preventing you from doing so because it's obtained right before the final boss and there's not much you can skip with it other than the final boss itself and some expansions. Second, the teleporters are two way only to prevent you from backtracking to areas they don't want you to backtrack to for potential sequence breaks. They went as far as killing fast travel or at least until you beat the game, to prevent sequence breaks. Sure, they threw us a couple of bones with the Kraid Bomb trick and allowing you to slide and Wall Jump while Speed Boosting, but literally everything else in the game screams "we don't want you to sequence break" and it makes those feel like hollow gestures.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Maybe for the expansions, yeah, but again it makes more sense to challenge you to experiment more for bonus collectibles. Not so much for regular old progression. And if there were really simpler ways that didn't require more complex strategies and/or high levels of skill and timing in their jumps and Shinesparks, they'd have found it by now.
Yet you mentioned earlier that Shinespark tricks are fine for progression in this very post. So why is it that cases like the Cross Bomb skips, which are not all that complex, are so difficult that the rest of the game has to be deemed railroady?

Also, you'd be surprised what options players find first. In the Youtube video someone did of the Gravity Suit skip for instance, a comment said they were surprised that the skip was not the intended way to progress. There's enough flexibility to the game that players can find different routes by accident, and as people continue to experiment more options can be found.

Second, the teleporters are two way only to prevent you from backtracking to areas they don't want you to backtrack to for potential sequence breaks. They went as far as killing fast travel or at least until you beat the game, to prevent sequence breaks.
They more likely did that to give players a clear path to go. You have to remember that core players of Metroid are not the only ones playing this game, we have many new players coming in that aren't experienced enough to know where to go or where to use those new abilities, and having options for them available so that they can find the path they need to progress is important for making sure they get through the game. The transporters are not a point against freedom, they're for players different from you and I.

Sure, they threw us a couple of bones with the Kraid Bomb trick and allowing you to slide and Wall Jump while Speed Boosting, but literally everything else in the game screams "we don't want you to sequence break" and it makes those feel like hollow gestures.
If that was the case, then cases like the Space Jump skip wouldn't be available since the path to the Missile power-up would be locked off one way rather then allow the player access to the upgrade via a second path. If that was the case there wouldn't be an opening on both ends of the missile powerup in Ferenia that allows players to get through and obtain the Cross Bombs early. If that was the case, then the Shinespark trick we've been arguing about with the Gravity Suit wouldn't be an option and the only way there would be with the Double Jump.

This is not like Fusion where the Wall Jump is nerfed, Bomb Jump gets you nowhere, and you're locked to rooms like Zazabi's once you reached a certain point. You have options that are kept and even expanded on, and secondary paths that allow for different means of going through the game. If those options weren't meant to be there, they flat out wouldn't be as we've seen the result of that direction, and saying otherwise is ignoring what is present in the game.

Okay I just beat the blue EMMI and encountered the purple one for real now. But I gotta say, these EMMI zones are pretty much ruining what would be a fantastic game to me. They're just super annoying roadblocks. Not once did I actually enjoy any of these zones.

Taking a break from the game though, probably gonna play through the entire Prime Trilogy in preparation for Prime 4 and maybe come back to Dread. I really wanna play further and see how the rest of the game goes, but I doubt I'll ever replay it if I finish this one.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
I think the EMMI are what I really wanted the SA-X to be, there's some hiccups with the water parts but overall it's great at constantly providing tension.

Fusion hyped up how the SA-X was hunting you and nowhere was safe, and it was genuinely tense when it did, but after a playthrough you knew what scripted areas it would show up, so the effect went away immediately.