• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metroid Series Thread

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Anyone excited about the shocking secret we will learn from the Chozo Memories in Samus Returns? I've seen a lot of people saying it's the Chozo creating the Metroids to deal with the X, but I think it's something else. Something that may be a plot device that will lead into Metroid 5 (I still find the Fusion Suit being in this game a bit odd). What do you guys think?

I have not seen any news on Samus Returns recently. What's the Chozo Memories?

I would think that the Fusion Suit is just a special bonus with no bearing on anything. It is probably Samus' most recognizable suit next to the Varia Suit, at least from non-Prime games.

the fusion suit makes total sense to be here as a bonus considering Fusion's plot hinges on the metroid eradication causing the X Parasites to thrive. Much of Fusion's space station was also purposely recreating SR388's environs & creatures. I actually expect there to be some encounter with the parasites as "foreshadowing" or maybe a non-cannon bonus boss.

That would be really cool. I'd love to see the X-Prasites outside of Fusion. It would go a long way for the continuity of the series as a whole.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
I have not seen any news on Samus Returns recently. What's the Chozo Memories?

You should see the Gamescom presentation of the game. Search it on Youtube.

Anyway, the Chozo Memories is lore that is told through pictures, that tell the story of the Chozo and their history on SR388. And according to Sakamoto, you can only unlock them by meeting certain conditions.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
You should see the Gamescom presentation of the game. Search it on Youtube.

Alright, thanks. I didn't bother to watch, as I figured it would just be a rehash of everything from E3.

Anyway, the Chozo Memories is lore that is told through pictures, that tell the story of the Chozo and their history on SR388. And according to Sakamoto, you can only unlock them by meeting certain conditions.

That's pretty cool. So we could be getting lore on the level of Prime's scan logs. I sure hope it's something that leads into a new Metroid game, that would be awesome.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
That's pretty cool. So we could be getting lore on the level of Prime's scan logs. I sure hope it's something that leads into a new Metroid game, that would be awesome.

The surprising secret Sakamoto teased is in them, too. As for whether leading into a new Metroid game after Fusion...

I had found this fan theory about Metroid 5 years ago, that Metroids were created by the Chozo not only to eliminate the X Parasites, but also to satisfy the hunger of an even more dangerous life-form that comes from another planet. Would be cool if the secret is similar to that theory.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The surprising secret Sakamoto teased is in them, too. As for whether leading into a new Metroid game after Fusion...

I had found this fan theory about Metroid 5 years ago, that Metroids were created by the Chozo not only to eliminate the X Parasites, but also to satisfy the hunger of an even more dangerous life-form that comes from another planet. Would be cool if the secret is similar to that theory.

Sounds like a cool idea, but seems a little too specific to become anything more than a theory.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
So, with the reviews of Samus Returns coming out now, and with the soundtrack posted on Youtube, here's some food for thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK2YX9p6q1U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrNWv-M1nAk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Q3UMpXwhA

Ridley IS in the game after all. Except it's not really him. Just a metal version that acts as the true final boss. According to what I've heard and gathered.

Also:

In a small ending scene (set presumably some time after Samus leaves SR388 with the Baby Metroid) we see a Hornoad checking around a part of Metal Ridley's corpse when it is attacked (and mutated) by a X Parasite. Here's the link:

https://a.pomf.cat/xukfvk.mp4

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Just got Samus Returns and I am loving it. The game feels so modern and packed with content, it's easily becoming my favorite 2D game. The one criticism I have is that the free aim isn't as fluid and precise as I was hoping, it feels like say, 16 or 32 directional aiming trying to pass itself off as full 360 degree motion and there seems to be some blind spots that it won't let me hit. Other than that though, everything about this game is amazing.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
I just got Samus Returns yesterday, and I have to say that so far, it is a phenomenal remake of Return of Samus. There are differences, and I can definitely understand what many people are talking about with certain parts of the game being inspired by you-know-what (or maybe the more appropriate term to use would be 'influenced'). But so far they've done an amazing job on the game.

I was initially concerned when I was able to pretty much just blow away the first Metroid I ran into, but after fighting the second one (and dying to it once before killing it), I was pleasantly surprised to see that the game does have real challenge when it comes to fighting them.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
I dunno if it's because I'm in certain sections of the map, but sometimes Scan Pulse doesn't work for me for whatever reason. I have the Aeion energy for it and the Pulse is toggled on, so is there something I'm missing here?

Aside from that, MSR is just wonderful. The enemies are a bit too aggressive for my liking, leading me to have to commit the melee counter timing to memory, but it's a super solid experience so far.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
If it wasn't this stupid exam period this month, I would have picked Samus Returns on day 1. Now, I have to wait 'till October... :(

Has anyone unlocked all Chozo Memories so far? If so, what do you think of their content?

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Has anyone unlocked all Chozo Memories so far? If so, what do you think of their content?

Oh my god, sign me up. With only Prime 1 lore and the manga really going into detail about the Chozo, seeing what is potentially the new direction Nintendo wants to take Metroid for the next installment has me excited. That there may be surviving Chozo, and rogue war Chozo at that, makes for an interesting premise for a post-Fusion plot. Chozo created the Metroids in the first place, and know the ins and outs of Samus's Power Suit since they made it too, so Samus would have a huge fight in front of her, especially with no Federation backup anymore, aside from the Adam AI maybe Anthony.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Okay, first of all, don't leave that corner until he starts charging up his flame attack. If you don't hug the wall when he's near you, he can still hit you, so you should only leave the corner when you're going in to damage it. Second, keep Morphed until he's far away from you. That will give you enough time to Morph and un-Morph. It seems like a tough battle at first, but once you adapt to his movement patterns it's not that hard a fight.

Still can't do it. I defeated that thing once with very little health left and was taken out just as I was approaching the save room.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I wonder if they'll implement Online Multiplayer in the new Metroid Prime 4 game since Nintendo really wants to nail the online gaming experience on there consoles? I have to say that Metroid Prime Hunters was really fun. I hope they bring that type of online multiplayer toe Metroid Prime but with upgraded customization. Maybe we can customize our own bounty hunters or play as Galactic Federation Soldiers and Space Pirate and call in our Bounty Hunters, similar to heroes in OG Battlefront.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I wonder if they'll implement Online Multiplayer in the new Metroid Prime 4 game since Nintendo really wants to nail the online gaming experience on there consoles? I have to say that Metroid Prime Hunters was really fun. I hope they bring that type of online multiplayer toe Metroid Prime but with upgraded customization. Maybe we can customize our own bounty hunters or play as Galactic Federation Soldiers and Space Pirate and call in our Bounty Hunters, similar to heroes in OG Battlefront.

I don't know how much multiplayer would really fit into Metroid. Echoes' multiplayer was an interesting experiment, but Metroid has always been a franchise about isolation. Plus, there's probably a reason that Echoes' multiplayer mode wasn't brought back for Corruption.

Also, it's worth noting that most games with a major online multiplayer mode typically have a main mode that lends itself to multiplayer, like fighting, racing, or war-based shooter games. Metroid doesn't really have any gameplay that inherently lends itself to multiplayer. I wouldn't count it out, but I wouldn't bet on it either.

shoz999

Metroid Dread! Oh man those robots are actually pretty scary. In the trailers, they look more annoying than a challenging obstacle but when you see the treehouse gameplay, they're actually pretty horror-ish with the noises they emit in the background. Reminds me of Dead Space even.

Announcement Trailer

Development History

Treehouse Gameplay Part 1

Treehouse Gameplay Part 2

Chaos Emperor

No hope.....
Call me cynical, but I feel that the game will end up being good, but not good enough for Metroid fans who’ve built insane amts of hype since the prime 4 announcement a couple years back, meaning that the game will probably end up an 8-8.5/10 (which for someone who’s not a diehard Metroid fan is good enough for me), but since it won’t be infinity/10, the diehards will probably give it the other m treatment after getting their hands on it and the diehard fans will continue to complain about not having a Metroid game since 2007, as other m and federation force seemingly fall into the “doesn’t count” category due to not being as good as the prime games.

shoz999

Call me cynical, but I feel that the game will end up being good, but not good enough for Metroid fans who’ve built insane amts of hype since the prime 4 announcement a couple years back, meaning that the game will probably end up an 8-8.5/10 (which for someone who’s not a diehard Metroid fan is good enough for me), but since it won’t be infinity/10, the diehards will probably give it the other m treatment after getting their hands on it and the diehard fans will continue to complain about not having a Metroid game since 2007, as other m and federation force seemingly fall into the “doesn’t count” category due to not being as good as the prime games.
Other M is actually a pretty good game in terms of gameplay. It was the story and how they did Samus is what most people hated about it. For Samus who is described as a cold and calculating hunter who kills without hesistation, her character has to earn those rare glimpses of emotion. You can't force it on her like what they did with Other M.

In terms of Metroid Dread, the original aim for Dread in the first place was solely based around game mechanics and a more horror-esque "dread" tone as opposed to storytelling which is Metroid Prime 4's aim, to explore one of Samus's archnemesis' Sylux. I guess the reason why Dread was never finished in the first place had to do with AI and animations because I've never seen a Metroid Game with such a great focus on a "hunter-type" enemy before, the emmi. I am certainly looking forward to Metroid Dread.

Chaos Emperor

No hope.....
Other M is actually a pretty good game in terms of gameplay. It was the story and how they did Samus is what most people hated about it. For Samus who is described as a cold and calculating hunter who kills without hesistation, her character has to earn those rare glimpses of emotion. You can't force it on her like what they did with Other M.

In terms of Metroid Dread, the original aim for Dread in the first place was solely based around game mechanics and a more horror-esque "dread" tone as opposed to storytelling which is Metroid Prime 4's aim, to explore one of Samus's archnemesis' Sylux. I guess the reason why Dread was never finished in the first place had to do with AI and animations because I've never seen a Metroid Game with such a great focus on a "hunter-type" enemy before, the emmi. I am certainly looking forward to Metroid Dread.

well as someone who’s only played the series here and there, I don’t know everything about the series, but from what I’ve seen with the fans, 2 things I see for certain is with modern Metroid (ie everything after super Metroid), anything that’s not the prime trilogy (and now prime 4 to an extent) gets ignored or called trash, and now that dread is coming alongside prime 4, every direct from now til release of these games (and even a couple after) that doesn’t feature dread and/or prime 4 the comment sections will be filled to the brim with “where Metroid” so please forgive me if I don’t have high hopes that fans will be appreciative that the franchise they like to think nintendo hates for some reason is seeing some new life, ironically with a game that was in development hell for 15 years.

I do like the idea of the horror esque gameplay though; seems like taking the SA-X from fusion and expanding the concept in terms of having to pick and choose when and/or where to fight the emmi and it’s ilk. Though given this is a follow up to fusion story wise I do wonder if the x parasites or even another SA-X will play a role here.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Calling it here, the distress signal from ZDR claiming there's X on the planet is bullshit. It's just a ploy to either get the Federation involved here for another purpose, or to coax Samus to get involved here because the Federation responded and investigated.

If that living Chozo is the rogue Chozo Samus Returns hinted at, then I'm inclined to believe the latter. He'd want to get genetic material of both Metroids and X for his purposes, but since SR388 got a dire case of explosions, Samus is literally the last source in the universe with Metroid and X DNA.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
So psyched that 2D Metroid is back. That was my #1 wish for E3, and boy did Nintendo deliver. Not only did we get a new 2D Metroid, but they actually revived Dread! The madlads did it and it looks amazing!

They're really making this game both a sequel to Fusion and to Samus Returns in a lot of exciting ways. Some of the plotlines from Fusion like the X-parasites, Adam, potentially Samus no longer being on good terms with the Federation and from Samus Returns
that evil Chozo
coming together for this game. Then you've got the E.M.M.I.s which seem to be an evolution of the SA-X. The improvements from Samus Returns such as Free Aim, Melee Counter, and Aeion abilities are returning, and are even being refined. This really looks like the modern Metroid experience I've dreamed of, and may even be better than I imagined.

Speaking of everything coming together, they mentioned this being "the end of the Metroid story arc" while still continuing with the series in a new arc. I'm curious as to what that means. Especially, how can this series still live up to being called "Metroid" if the storyline doesn't involve Metroids? One thing I was hoping was that the events of Metroid Fusion would make Samus part Metroid and she would get Metroid abilities such as energy absorption and hovering, but Sakamoto seems to have indicated that Samus' genetic condition reset after Fusion
when she absorbed one of the SA-X and regained her fully powered suit and the Ice Beam
so she's no longer part Metroid (unfortunately I'm not able to find a direct source, it seems to have been deleted, so maaaybe it's false but I suspect it's true).

All in all I'm very excited for this game, my most wanted game for sure. Can't wait.