• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mew question..

Celebi251

Give me the GS Ball
okay. i had someone download the old sea map onto my emerald, and i went to go catch mew. now, if the old sea map was cheated to get to(AR, GS)does that mean that the mew is still legit bcuz i got it from the island, or is it fake? it can still enter colo., but i was just wondering.

medaton

I said, Bring It ON!
no neccesarily. the pokemon wasn't cheated. he's already programmed into the game, you just need the sea chart to access him. the sea chart is cheated though. if it works in colleseum and XD, then its legit

b_m

Define "legit".

Mewbiraxys

Mew The Origin
Define "legit".

Useable in battle and caught at the official location of where it is caught in the first place. Thats as far as i can defie legit.

By the way even if a AR was used for the chart the XD tutor would still be there in XD.

Slightly Jewish

Cool Like That
in your sig it says you got a deoxys from a space center houston event...what exactly is that?

oh and its like 75% legitamate, however, since the map was cheated and it hasnt even been released in the U.S. in the first place, that kinda takes away from the whole thing

ForeverFlame

If you cheat to get the MAP, then catch Mew fair and square, it's 100% legit. As was said before, Mew and all of the other Special Event Legends are already programmed into your game, but they're all locked up, waiting to be released.

So, if you cheat to get the key, instead of cheating the Legends to be poofed out of the locked doors, the Legends stay 100% real. But if you poof them out, then they're 100% fake, because the original legends are still locked up.

In other words, only cheat to get the items needed to find the Legends.

Hydronus

Seems fair to me. I love discussing cheating and what not, it is interesting to see where people draw the line. Look at the people in countries or places where there will be no nintendo event for mew, wouldn't you say it's fair for them to cheat to get it?

starterlover1

Emperor Coordinator
It's legit. You went to the island and caught it fair and square, so it should be useable in battle.

Mudskipper

The Earthquaker
It's legit unless you cheated for an extra Master Ball and caught it with that.

gonbemaster

Patience is a virtue
If you get it from an AR or a gameshark, it's not legit, but if you get it from the island, not using cheats, but from an event (like toys r us), then it's legit. Or at least, that's what I think.

Bad Skitty

Caught em' all
problem with the cheated map is that it wont usually work as it also must be enables by the download device. if you cheat it you usually just end up with a map that wont do anything.

kingcurry

Fooly Cooly yo!
I think its cheated, because it was obtained by "artificial" means, not the way it should normally be obtained.

Gumbyx84

Safari Gym Leader
: sighs: This agrument can go on forever and never get a real answer, so I am going to try this out:

For A Pokemon to be "legit", meaning usuable in Tournaments, the GCN Pokemon games, and consider worthy of trade, it must be obtained either through: Special event (JAA,PRA, etc), Bonus material (Colo bonus disk), or caught in the area where it is originally found

For a Pokemon to be "fake", meaning its cannot be used legally in a GCN game or a tournament, it must: Be "created" out of nothing, caught out of its original area, or modified in some way by a cheating device.

Most fourm members subscribe to this train of though. As you can see, as long as you catch the Pokemon in its original area (IE Mew on Faraway Island), its is still considered legit. No actual game code was agumented in order to obtain the Pokemon. You didnt just "get it", and you didn't force the game into letting you catch it outside of LittleRoot Town. You just used the cheating device to UNLOCK the pathway to said Pokemon. All the cheating device does is flip a digital switch in game that says you have the item. The game checks to see if you have the item, and then lets you go said location if you do.

I would never consider your Mew fake by any means because we in america will probadly never get the old sea chart, and in turn will never get a "legit" Mew of your own to train (the new from Toys 'R Us doesnt count in my book because its already beyond a normal in-game level (which, to me, is lv 50)). I saw enjoy it. You can make use of the Mew Move tutor in XD to get some real fun out of it, and you should be able to clean out Mount. Battle pretty easily with it to get to him. :)

PS
And to kingcurry, by your thought process, my Johto starters aren't "legit" because I got them through a trade w/ a Japanese Ruby. That person got them from the Japanese Colo Bonus Disk. I did not get them from a normal means (completeing Dex in Emerald), but Nintendo created the Bonus Disk from which they came from. So, what are they to you then?

PSS kingcurry, I love the little comic :) Cute

Last edited:

Slightly Jewish

Cool Like That
Good point, but thats not how i see it

You said its legit if you catch it in its own environment, but how can you do that without the map? If he didnt get the map, then he couldnt have gotten the Mew. Same logic in the fact that since he got the map through Action Replay, he got the Mew through Action Replay.

Now, given, the means by which he obtained the Mew is more legit than having the Mew straight uploaded into his party or box by the Action Replay, but if a cheating device had anything to do with it, it isnt legit.
Besides, the Old Sea Map wasnt even released in the United States. If he had used the Action Replay to get the Aurora or Mystic Tickets, that would be different, since thats basically the same thing. Still, to me, unless you obtain the Pokemon (or the thing to get the Pokemon) thorugh any means other than the events set up by Nintendo, its not totally official. But thats just me.

Dark_Danger

Hehe...You know...
Technically, in-game, the game "says" your Mew is legit, because you didnt use a AR/Gameshark to get the Mew itself, but the key to get mew. im really just repeating my self, after other people but...yea

and yea kingcurry. like your lil pic in ya sig.

milotic111

<-- Solves any case!
define "legit"

If you mean technical legit than it is legit cause it IS THE in-game mew. you didn't cheat to catch it but to get there.

If you mean official legit than it's a fake, cause you didn't got the ticket through a nintendo event ect ect.

Technical legit means that you can use it like any other legit pokemon (technical and official). hench technical legit.

Question answered, so case closed.

Celebi251

Give me the GS Ball
okay...so what most of you are saying is that its legit, because i didnt cheat to get the mew, just the old sea map...soooooo, if that's true, that i have plenty of legit mews....and a legit shiny one too, i guess :D

PumpedAaron

Bodybuilder Trainer
I think it's legit, your friend cheating has nothing to do with you :p.