• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mewtwo named Mew

blackrose

On my Fire Red game i went to catch Mewtwo and when i talked to it it said Mew!, and it kinda looked like mew, but when i battled it, it was mewtwo. What is happening? has it happened to anyone else?

Golden_Arcanine

It always does this. It's because he is a "clone" of Mew.

blackrose

oh so it always say mew when u talk to it.

poke'master

but mewtwo doesn't say his own name.. he speaks fluent... well depends if your watching an english dub or origional ^^ so i'll say fluent people talk.. kind of silly really to have him saying "mew..'' lol

blackrose

yer i just realised that, thanks :) i was really hoping i would get mew.

blackrose

yer i just realised that, thanks :) i was really hoping i would get mew.

SSparky

but mewtwo doesn't say his own name.. he speaks fluent... well depends if your watching an english dub or origional ^^ so i'll say fluent people talk.. kind of silly really to have him saying "mew..'' lol

Mewtwo doesn't exactly "speak" though given he communicates telepathically. If he were to "talk" like a regular Pokemon, he would probably say "Mew"...

poke'master

Mewtwo doesn't exactly "speak" though given he communicates telepathically. If he were to "talk" like a regular Pokemon, he would probably say "Mew"...

lol you don't know that.. If he can speak telepathically in fluent Human speak then why could he only open his mouth to say mew lol.. He isn't a regular pokemon remember.. He was created and didnt need to talk anyway lol. That didn't make sence

Wakerra

Pokemon Breeder
this goes back to the old Red and Blue days. if you look in the burned down lab you see little tid-bits talking about Mew, with one little mention of Mewtwo. after you beat the game and go into the tunnel you hear all about powerful pokemon, when you reach Mewtwo and it cries "Mew!" the makers made it to be deciving that it was Mew, but when the battle begins, its really Mewtwo, Mew's genetic cloned mutation. Since Fire Red and Leaf Green are re-makes (and very nice ones at that) they still kept the "Mew!" cry from Mewtwo

poke'master

this goes back to the old Red and Blue days. if you look in the burned down lab you see little tid-bits talking about Mew, with one little mention of Mewtwo. after you beat the game and go into the tunnel you hear all about powerful pokemon, when you reach Mewtwo and it cries "Mew!" the makers made it to be deciving that it was Mew, but when the battle begins, its really Mewtwo, Mew's genetic cloned mutation. Since Fire Red and Leaf Green are re-makes (and very nice ones at that) they still kept the "Mew!" cry from Mewtwo

That makes more sence than the one previous to my last post.. So ill give you that one. Mystery solved xD

SSparky

lol you don't know that.. If he can speak telepathically in fluent Human speak then why could he only open his mouth to say mew lol.. He isn't a regular pokemon remember.. He was created and didnt need to talk anyway lol. That didn't make sence

Like I said earlier, "speaking" telepathically is not the same as using one's voice to actually talk. There could be any number of reasons why Mewtwo's telepathy sounds like "fluent human speak". As a telepath, he should be capable of reading the thoughts of others as well as being able to project his own thoughts into their minds. Perhaps he's reading their thoughts to translate his into a language their minds understand. Or perhaps their brains are just interpreting his thoughts in a language they are capable of understanding. It's hard to say with any certainty given no one really knows what telepathy would actually be like.

But if Mewtwo were to actually use his voice to communicate, how would it sound? Just because he can telepathically "talk" in a human language doesn't mean he'd be able to use his voice to do the same. As Meowth showed us, it takes a great deal of practice and effort for a Pokemon to use their voice to talk in a human language. Mewtwo hasn't done that because he doesn't need to with his telepathy. So as the game suggests, if Mewtwo were to actually use his voice to talk, he'd probably sound like a Pokemon and not talk in a human language.

poke'master

but you can't say that based on nothing. Mewtwo isn't like mewoth. He was created by scientests to be crazy powerful. If he can speak to humans telepathically then he would be able to speak it normally.. simply because he clearly knows how to. there isnt even any evidence to suggests he does speak outside of telepathy besides the crudely done "mew..." in r/b/y :p

SSparky

but you can't say that based on nothing. Mewtwo isn't like mewoth. He was created by scientests to be crazy powerful. If he can speak to humans telepathically then he would be able to speak it normally.. simply because he clearly knows how to. there isnt even any evidence to suggests he does speak outside of telepathy besides the crudely done "mew..." in r/b/y :p

How do you know? As you pointed out there is no evidence to suggest he can use his voice beyond the "Mew" from the games, let alone actually use his voice to speak a human language. And just because he knows how to telepathically communicate in a language humans can understand, that doesn't automatically mean he knows how to use his voice to do the same thing. Like I keep saying, he isn't actually talking when he's using telepathy, he's projecting his thoughts.

Being able to think a language isn't the same as being able to vocalize it. That's why I pointed out Meowth as an example. All pokemon in the anime appear to understand human language but as Meowth showed, it isn't so easy for them to learn how to actually use their voices to talk like humans. Power has nothing to do with.

BoneBurry

¤¤ kyogre ¤¤
he says it because he is a CLONE
you could have know that... go into the pokemon mansion and then watch all the papers... at last there is one wich says: mew gave birth. we named him: mewtwo

the killer

groudon forever ^^
yeah,im with boneburry...
he isnt a clone he is the baby of mew:p
he was getting too powerfull

poke'master

well mewtwo is more powerful but mew is more versatile so i guess its what you need them for. if you want a special sweeper or just a powerhouse psychic pokemon mewtwo is the man. however if you need something that can take out various types, a surf/flamethrower/thunderbolt/shadowball mew would be fun and useful :p