• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mewtwo Raids announced, Legendary Birds returning

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
http://pokemongolive.com/en/post/exclusiveraids
https://daily.pokecommunity.com/2017/08/14/mewtwo-raids-begin-in-japan/

Earlier today, Trainers battled against the Legendary Pokémon Mewtwo at the Pokémon GO Stadium event in Yokohama, Japan. Thousands of Trainers in attendance were able to successfully catch Mewtwo and add it to their Pokédexes. In the coming weeks, you, too, will have the opportunity to battle and catch Mewtwo with the new Exclusive Raid Battle feature.

Exclusive Raid Battles are similar to existing Raid Battles, with a few notable differences. Exclusive raids will periodically appear at Gyms around the world; however, unlike existing raids, Trainers will be invited to join an Exclusive Raid Battle. To receive an invitation to participate in an Exclusive Raid Battle, Trainers must have successfully completed a raid recently, by defeating the Raid Boss, at the Gym where the Exclusive Raid Battle will be taking place. The invitations will include advance warning of when the Exclusive Raid will take place, giving them ample time to coordinate with other Trainers before taking on the powerful Raid Boss.

Mewtwo is the first Pokémon that Trainers will be able to face in Exclusive Raid Battles, but other powerful Pokémon may also start to hatch from the Raid Eggs found at Exclusive Raid Battles over the next several weeks. Make sure you’re prepared to battle Mewtwo by powering up your Pokémon and battling in raids at Gyms near you!

Legendary Pokémon Take Flight
Over the past three weeks, thousands of Legendary Pokémon have been defeated in Raid Battles around the world. In celebration of this achievement and to give Trainers another chance to catch Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, and Lugia, all four of these Legendary Pokémon can be battled in Raid Battles from August 14 through August 31. Be on the lookout for these Legendary Pokémon at a raid near you!
I'm... not really a fan of the exclusive raid idea! It sounds more bothersome to organise, is currently too vague (is it going to be everywhere around the world? How recent is 'recently'? Why the need to change it at all?) and feels like a moneygrab ('you better do raids recently at specific gyms beforehand else you can't even get the chance for Mewtwo!'). Bluh.

At least the birds return for those not lucky enough to get them all for a couple more weeks...

Playful Latios

@Soul Dew
I don't generally have problems getting enough people to show up at raids because I'm part of a very active Facebook group. I also go to Mall Of America once a week and Victory Memorial Parkway every now and then ( both of which are also hot spots spoofers go to. )

I heard Mewtwo's stats got altered, but either Serebii has a mistake on Mewtwo's page for CP or not all stats were nerfed 10%. I looked up the formula because I was updating my Google Sheet to do Mewtwo calculations.

Edit: Discovered it wasn't a true 10% stat reduction so I got my Google Sheet updated to do calculations.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Honestly, I'm not very happy with Go right now. I've spent the last three weeks doing pretty much nothing but stressing over catching the four available Legendaries, and freaking out over my inability to catch Articuno and Lugia. While it's great that I still have a chance to catch those two, it's just so bittersweet. Normally I don't like to bash Niantic on their lack of communication, but everything they said essentially told us that we'd be out of luck if we didn't catch the respective Legendary Bird during its week. That lead to a whole lot of stress on my end. If they had just told us this was going to happen, I wouldn't have worried nearly as much. This is just wrong.

Then there's this whole exclusive Raid Pass thing. It's absurd. I have to drive anywhere from 10-25 minutes to get to the gyms in my area, most of them being on the longer end of that time range. And I'd have to be lucky to show up when a raid is going on. Unless their definition of recently is the past two or three months, my spread of gyms that I've done raids at will be awful. Then there's the matter of gathering people for one of these raids. I'm part of an online group, but we're in such a small community. Normally we can muster up just enough to take down a Legendary, but that's only when everyone can go to the raid. Factor the fact that only invitees can attend in, and it's going to be very hard to defeat Mewtwo, even if I do get invited. Hopefully it won't be as bad as it sounds, but the prospect is not good.

Sorry about that, I just really needed to rant.

Edit: To throw in some good news, I'm very happy about the 50 Premier Balls to catch Mewtwo. I don't know why they thought 10 or less was a realistic number.

Last edited:

Vipsoccermaster

Yeah, I feel the same way. Great to have the rest of August to catch the Kanto birds and Lugia, but it's just as hard to have a group of people to help out and take it down. Even then it's still hard because most already have one and do not feel like getting another.

Despite the longer chance for those legendary Pokémon, I cannot take them on as none of my Pokémon are even fit to do so, even in a group of 20 people. My Pokemon would faint in a matter of 5 seconds each. My strongest Pokémon in terms of CP is Blissey with a CP of 2360, and that's one of the two Pokémon I have with a CP of over 2000 (the other is a Pinsir with a CP of 2241).

Their definition is very vague, but what I'm getting at "recently" are those that raids you have done for at a particular gym in the last few weeks, not months, unfortunately.

I'm not sure about 50 Premier Balls for catching Mewtwo. I think that's only for those in Yokohama, Japan, and even then they have a guaranteed Mewtwo. 50 balls was probably done for those young trainers that have terrible throwing balls. Highly doubt people worldwide will have 50 balls to have a chance. More like around 10 balls just like any other raid. To make it worse, I'm sure the catch rate for Mewtwo is worse than Lugia.

All these events are great to have, but they're not helping those like me or those that live in rural areas. For these types of players, it's a lot more frustrating than what it supposed to be exciting. It's a huge challenge, yes, but an annoying one.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Well, at least something good came from this. I managed to catch my first Articuno. I had long ago accepted I would probably have to wait months to have another chance it. Now I just need Lugia.

I'm not sure about 50 Premier Balls for catching Mewtwo. I think that's only for those in Yokohama, Japan, and even then they have a guaranteed Mewtwo. 50 balls was probably done for those young trainers that have terrible throwing balls. Highly doubt people worldwide will have 50 balls to have a chance. More like around 10 balls just like any other raid. To make it worse, I'm sure the catch rate for Mewtwo is worse than Lugia.

I don't know. If that really is the case, 50 is extreme over-kill. The normal 10 should be plenty for a Pokémon with a 100% catch-rate, even if you aren't that good at throwing.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't know. If that really is the case, 50 is extreme over-kill. The normal 10 should be plenty for a Pokémon with a 100% catch-rate, even if you aren't that good at throwing.
I wouldn't assume that Mewtwo has a 100% catch rate outside of the Yokohama event involving it. Maybe it'll have a really low chance to catch? Or it may be that the 50 Premier Balls won't carry over to worldwide events either. Who knows with Niantic!

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I wouldn't assume that Mewtwo has a 100% catch rate outside of the Yokohama event involving it. Maybe it'll have a really low chance to catch? Or it may be that the 50 Premier Balls won't carry over to worldwide events either. Who knows with Niantic!

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

I didn't mean to imply that the catch-rate would still be 100%. This is almost certainly the exact same thing they did with Lugia during Go Fest. I meant that it would be odd for the 50 Premier Balls to only be a thing for the event, as it's overkill when combine with the catch-rate. Because of that, I have hope that the 50 Premier Balls will translate over to the rest of the world, even if the catch-rate doesn't.

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
I actually raided the legends just last week. Except zapdos who i finally caught after 8 tries last tuesday

Glad they extended it coz i was lasy and busy the first few weeks

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Well, the first Mewtwo Raid happened in Japan, and it looks like the Pokéball count for them is indeed then normal 12, not 50. That's a bummer, especially given how hard it might be to get invited to these things in the first place. Oh well.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Well, the first Mewtwo Raid happened in Japan, and it looks like the Pokéball count for them is indeed then normal 12, not 50. That's a bummer, especially given how hard it might be to get invited to these things in the first place. Oh well.

At least the catch rate is higher at 6%. Double that of the legendary birds and triple of Lugia and the beasts.

Anyone come across mewtwo yet? So excited in the UK!