• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mewtwo Strikes Back! (M01)

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Can anyone confirm something I read online?

I read that in the original japanese version of the movie, Mew attacks Mewtwo because he is a clone. Not because he is trying to stop Mewtwo from harming anyone. I read a script that basically said Mew attacks Mewtwo in the original for being a copy and not as superior as the originals. This completely changes how I view Mew now, if it is true.

Anyone?
You read correctly

Red and Blue

Wait so the cute harmless looking Pokemon was actually a bigot? wonder why they left that out in the dub?

Leonhart

Imagineer
This Myuutwo movie is probably my second favorite, just for the nostalgia. I was so excited about it when I first saw it in the theaters. Every time I watch it I get shivers down my spine. The animation was really cool and Satoshi's reckless self-sacrifice was really sad. It also had cool battles and probably the best ending out of all the movies. I especially enjoyed that scene where they are on the dock and Satoshi sees Myuu randomly fly by in the clouds. It was kind of a cool reference to the first episode.

UmbrionKnight

The best Pokemon movie in my opinion. You have to watch "The Origin of Mewtwo" to fully understand the full emotional impact of what was happening, though.

Cetra

Ash got 26 years, Liko won't, recency bias fanboys
It's not like Mew was wrong in this case. The cloned Pokemon simply existing went against the laws of nature. They shouldn't have been made at all...

Except that is wrong and incredibly disrespectful for other lifeforms. Exactly one of those reasons why Mewtwo became evil. He was treated like a 2nd class being with less rights than the one creating him.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Except that is wrong and incredibly disrespectful for other lifeforms. Exactly one of those reasons why Mewtwo became evil. He was treated like a 2nd class being with less rights than the one creating him.

No offence to Mewtwo, but he was literally a second-class being since he was Mew's clone. He was Mew's shadow in a way, so his feelings of inferiority were justified.

Cetra

Being a clone does not "literally make you second class". There is no natural law that makes them so. That is just some disrepectful thought some people have whenever they think clones are no lifeforms that have deserved to live just like the rest.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Being a clone does not "literally make you second class". There is no natural law that makes them so. That is just some disrepectful thought some people have whenever they think clones are no lifeforms that have deserved to live just like the rest.

They're not created equal to real lifeforms, so why would they even deserve to exist? :/

Cetra

They're not created equal to real lifeforms, so why would they even deserve to exist? :/

Clones are also "real" so I suppose you mean "natural born". And how come you even think such a horrible thing? Would you say the same thing about a human being that got help getting born through science?

They are alive. They perceive reality just like we do. They deserve to live. None of us asked to live. Why should clones be blamed for how they are born. Also, if I want to get really nitpicky - everything originates in nature. Even our science. Even our decisions. Should we justify everything with that? Good lord, no. Especially not things we want to call "evil". But this should at least be considered.

Last edited:

ZilverLox

Banned
Whoa this movie is the reason I'm such a Mewtwo fan. The advertisements on TV said that he was going to be in it and since he was such an enigma for me at the time, my naturally hyper-curiosity got the better of me and I went to see the movie not only 'cause I loved Pokemon, but I also hoped to learn more about Mewtwo. Originally I assumed that Mewtwo would only be playing a side role in the film and I was happily surprised that he was the main character!

Alloutℯ

Banned
This movie was dark and atmospheric, mostly because of Mewtwo's presence. No other Pokemon movie has come close to re-creating that feeling of deep tension. It sure beats a lot of other anime movies, that's for sure. I loved the opening battle between that random Donphan guy and Ash.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I am really curious about the original intended script for the first movie. Here's a link to a piece of one of the only Youtube bits of the first trailer availabe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjFwpVbZDow. I hope one day we get a look at that old original script

Something a bit amusing is that 4Kids didn't censor Mewtwo's massacre. Pretty obvious he murdered all the scientists who made him

Cetra

Well technically, we're talking about a cartoon, so they aren't alive. I'll just agree to disagree. ;)

That is purposely missing the point to disagree. It does not matter if they are fictional. Then Ash and the others according to that logic also have no rights in their own world "because in our world they are not alive". It is really basic, self-explanatory psychology. They are conscious. They are alive and treating them like second-class is horrible. No one asks to be born, no matter which way.

zdbz_sn

I went through and reviewed all the Pokefilms on Tumblr not too long ago, all out of order; figured I'd share thoughts here, in order.

Let’s get this out of the way: like any kid who grew up with Pokemon in the late 90s, I have a big ol’ soft spot for this flick, but if I step back and look at it critically, Mewtwo Strikes Back is no masterpiece, or even an especially good pokefilm.

The pace, suspenseful and steadily building in the front half of the story, gets funky once our heroes reach Mewtwo’s island. The big battle between Pokemon and clones isn’t all that exciting IMO, save the Mew/Mewtwo duel. The American soundtrack has some questionable pieces. There’s little memorable about the CotDs, and unlike later films, there’s no real effort to involve them in the plot. Misty and Brock have nothing to do once they get to the island. Setting precedent early, Team Rocket are only here to eat up screen time and distract from the plot. And the inexplicable magic tears are still one of the dumbest things ever cooked up by 90s’ family programming to avoid a character death.

(And everyone talks about the lameness of the concept, but there’s another stupid thing about it: why aren’t Ash’s friends crying!? “Tower of Terror” had been produced and released by this point - we saw how Misty and Brock react to the idea that Ash might be dead. They can’t spare anything comparable to that when he’s turned into stone!? And when the magic tears start to work, all they do is stand there and look confused!? I don’t blame 4Kids for having such a hard time figuring out what Misty’s line should be in that scene - the source animation gave them nothing to suggest any sort of emotion! Sadly, this lack of reaction by the human characters to their fellow man’s peril repeated more than once over the years.)

And yet…in some ways, Mewtwo Strikes Back is the most admirable out of all of these movies. And not just because of its delightfully creepy art direction.

Think about it - you’ve got an anime based on a successful game that, as far as you know, will have the standard year-and-a-half run before closing shop. Some on the staff might hope for an extension, but there’s no guarantee of that, nor of this rather strange Pokemon concept continuing on past the second game already in production. As far as you know, this is going to be the only movie of the franchise. And what do Takeshi Shudo and staff decide to do with this one shot at the cinema?

Oh, just spend the prologue setting up the tragic backstory of a genetic mutation that kills its creators, briefly serves the crime lord that’s haunted the series, and then decides to set out for revenge on all humanity. In Japan, they threw in an even more tragic element to Mewtwo’s story by having him befriend a human child’s spirit that ends up dying on him.

That is some gutsy screenwriting.

Eighteen films and two decades later, Mewtwo is still probably the best Pokemon character that the movies have given us. He’s morally grey, evolves throughout the film, had great VAs, and drives the story in a much more direct way than many of his successors did. The issues of purpose, prejudice, and reconciling with the world that he struggles with are a bit heavy-handed in the final execution, but they’re fantastic concepts.

And if Ash doesn’t really have a role beyond reacting to the situation he’s thrown into, he does so in a much more fluid and organic way than in later films. He doesn’t arbitrarily take over combating the threat or save the day on his own; rather, stuck in a bad situation, he makes the best choices he can and affects things when he can. Outside the stupid, stupid ending, it’s a very nice role for him.