• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mewtwo Strikes Back! (M01)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Mewtwo Strikes Back!

Ash, a rising pokémon trainer gets called to New Island by the best Pokémon Trainer. When he gets there he finds its Mewtwo, the most powerful Pokémon who has a vendetta against humans and plans to wipe out the world leaving nothing but him and his clone pokémon. But then Ash and the rarest Pokémon Mew, fight to stop him.

Visit The Movie Guide

Discuss

M

meggirl63

I felt Mewtwo got to understand the way of life when Ash took a stand against all the originals fighting their clones.

B

Blue,Too?

Ah, the movie that has one of my favorite scenes of all time, Pikachu getting slapped by its clone *hehhehheh...*. I could understand why Mewtwo hated humans, and I kinda felt sorry for him *sniffle*. But it was a great movie even though it had its flaws (Like when Team Rocket was saying the wrong pokemon names when the screens came up).

I give Mewtwo Strikes Back a 9..... out of 10.

Freedom

Pokeman
I didn't really like this movie. However, there were lots of good music in this movie. My favourite scene in this movie was when Ash got turned to stone because it was sad.

I give this movie 6 out of 10.

But it was a great movie even though it had its flaws (Like when Team Rocket was saying the wrong pokemon names when the screens came up).

They said in the commentary that they were aware of this mistake but left it in on purpose. This was because it was similar to the "Who's That Pokemon" segment in the tv series and you didn't always guess correctly.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
I thought this movie was a wee bit naff. The battle between Mew and Mewtwo was nothing to gawk at. Mew should have been able to talk. This is the worst possible way to (properly) introduce Dragonite. There were a few too many goofs as well.

BTW did you know this is on the list for the top hundred worst movies ever.

Also, the Pikachu shorts ALWAYS suck. They are too cute and annoying for anyone to bare.

Chris

Old Coot
ChaosMage said:
There were a few too many goofs as well.

BTW did you know this is on the list for the top hundred worst movies ever.
Blame 4Kids for the messups. They sure as hell weren't in the original.

And if you look at the list, ALOT of movies that were successful made it on there. It's only being listed as a worst movie mainly cause 4Kids targeted it to children and parents dreaded having to take their kids to see something they didn't understand. Not to mention, the dub was dumbed down ALOT. Basically this is only the worst DUB movie.

H

Hales

The worst dubbed movie?! Eeek!

I really loved this movie, and when Ash got turned into stone I cried, but seeing Pikachu try to shock Ash back to life made me laugh (but not the first three times I saw it).

H

Hales

First time I saw Pikachu zap Ash to wake him up I was crying, then when Ash woke up well that got to me too :(, I feel bad about laughing at it now though.

I kind of wish that Ash and co. could have remembered everything about their first movie adventure but...

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Freedom said:
They said in the commentary that they were aware of this mistake but left it in on purpose. This was because it was similar to the "Who's That Pokemon" segment in the tv series and you didn't always guess correctly.
Worst excuse ever is what I say to that :p

Chris

Old Coot
I agree. XD If such is true, they wouldn't have made all those other slip ups they've made between Growlithe/Arcanine, Pidgeotto/Pidgeot and more. Not to mention, by listening to the third movie's commentary, they had barely any clue on the name of the place where Charizard went or who some of the Pokémon were. And last I checked, neither Who's That Pokémon? or Dare Da? involved guessing the wrong Pokémon without correcting one's self.

Batdude

Old school
I really liked this movie, despite it's flaws. (how a trainer could mistake his own pokémon for another is baffling *pidgeotto/pidgeot*) If Mewtwo was looking for the "most powerful clones" wouldn't you think he'd go for the elite four or something? And if Mewtwo had such advanced psychic powers, couldn't he tell that Brock still had Onix and Geodude in their pokéballs?!

Anyway, enough flaws. I really liked the movie, and the scene where Charizard/Bruteroot/Shellshocker fought their respective clones always makes me smile. That Venusaur clone had some wicked vines..... The Mewtwo/Mew fight was a bit... Boring... The two most powerful pokémon ramming each other? This isn't bumpercars, people!

Nevertheless, I love this movie!! Go Mewtwo!

M

meggirl63

I saw this movie in theaters twice and I cried during the part where Ash was turned to stone.

EXP:282

Is Back!!! For now.
i like this movie,though other problems were when the Pidgeot was called a Pidgeotto and, i thought i saw a trainer with a Fearow, then never saw it again! the bit where team rocket were saying the names of the pokemon shows how dumb they are.
On a plus side, i like this movie because Mewtwo is my favourite legendary and
My favourite character on SSBM.

I give a 8/10

Horn Drill

ヘタリア!
If you think about it, if this movie came out now, it would most likely be rated PG. I think that's so, because of Mewtwo killing everyone and the fact that they rated the Yu-Gi-Oh movie and the PowerPuff Girls (shudder) movie PG.

I never got the "Who's That Pokemon?" wrong... I think that the trainer with the Pidgeot was just an idiot, therefore further proving Mewtwo's point. Mewtwo put in a much better fighting performance in Mewtwo Returns.

H

Houndoom

I don't think much about the mistakes in the movie. I try to focus on the story and the messages the movie is showing. In this movie, there are some pretty neats things, like when the clones and the Pokemon were about to fight, Pikachu shouts out "Pika" which echoes in the background, then changing to the song "Brother, my brother". And when Ash is climbing down the place where Mewtwo blasted him, he runs and stops to see the Pokemon fighting, the camera creatively rises to show this. They also had a good message in the movie, which Mewtwo says near the end, "One's birth is irrelevant, it is the gift of life that determines who you are". I think that is saying something. Well this movie was good to watch and I cried when Pikachu tried to bring Ash back to life (like most people) and I liked the story of it and how it took place. The music was also good. But there were some problems, but I give it 9 out of t10. I think they did a good job. It still entertains me everytime I watch it.

Murgatroyd

Dull Manga Avatar
Houndoom said:
In this movie, there are some pretty neats things, like when the clones and the Pokemon were about to fight, Pikachu shouts out "Pika" which echoes in the background, then changing to the song "Brother, my brother".
That was one of my least favorite parts of the dub. Could be because I've heard the original music from that scene.

Oh well. De gustibus non disputandum est.

Chris

Old Coot
I don't blame you, dude. The whole soundtrack of the dub movie was horrid. :\ None of the music (except the opening) had ANYTHING to do with what was going on. Plus the original music, even if a majority of it was from the TV series, was alot more fitting.

And thanks for adding another piece of music to my collection. XP

Heracross

Custom User Title
Yeah, I guess 4Kids were practicing ruining the music for when they got to AG. =P I also hear that when Ash got turned into stone there was a dramatic pause in the original, whereas in the dub, the music just keeps going. Why is 4Kids so determined to destroy the creativity and storytelling aspect of these movies? Then they have to go and add/delete scenes in the fourth and fifth movies and mess them up too. It's so frustrating.

Murgatroyd

Dull Manga Avatar
Heracross said:
I also hear that when Ash got turned into stone there was a dramatic pause in the original, whereas in the dub, the music just keeps going.
The music stopped at the end of the clip I provided, as Pikatwo collapsed into Pikachu's arms, still trying to hit it, and just before Mew and Mewtwo started charging their final blasts. It didn't start again until around Dewgong's tears. During the scene where Pikachu was trying to revive Ash, there was no sound at all except for Pikachu's voice and electricity. It is truly unfortunate that the dubbers don't realize the dramatic power of something being absent.