• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mewtwo Strikes Back! (M01)

Attila12

Proud 2B Random
I love this movie as well. One of my faves. I am still and forever will be mad at WB Kids for cutting out the scenes of Mewtwo's origin about his childhood and Ambertwo. It definately would have explained some things about why Mewtwo is so angsty and angry at birth.

Attila

Gimples

Shoruken!

BoneBurry

¤¤ kyogre ¤¤
i cried when ash turned to stone xD i was like 5 years old :p
i watched it yesterday and it brought back many memories :)

i totally love mewtwo :p but he is not the coolest :p

Darkrai678

Let's go Jüting!!!
I remember in grammar school when it was raining they used to make us watch pokemon movies about Mewtwo... i think this is one of them.
they used to make us watch little parts of them

Last edited:

Cartoonami

To know the unkown
Celebrating 10 years

Well, today is the Official 10'th anniversary of 'Mewtwo Strikes Back!' and 'Pikachu no Natsuyasumi' in Japan. Be sure to watch your copies of the Japanese versions of this summer blockbuster of 1998 (again, in Japan.)

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
oh this is one of my most favorite episodes ever, i'm still trying to buy the dvd of this one, i'll give a 10/10 for it^^

Shiny Espeon0429

The only disappointment of mine about the film is the cut scenes at the start of the film.

Of Mewtwo’s childhood... being raised in a laboratory with other clones including the little girl Ambertwo. The very reason the lead scientist agreed to do the cloning experiment for Team Rocket was to bring back his daughter to life.

I agree. Why oh why did they miss out the scenes at the start? Lucky they later released it as a 12-minute short. The anime is meant to funny and not sad. So, I have only cried once watching it. I'm not ashamed to admit it was Ambertwo's brilliant line "And don't cry Mewtwo, You should be happy! You're alive and life is wonderful..." She says this as she disappears...
*sobs*

Last edited:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Something I wonder about the Japanese version...why does Mewtwo get all mad about not being created by God to begin with? How does he even have such a CONCEPT two minutes after being born? Granted he knows quite a bit, but knowledge of a higher power isn't a necessary concept for him to know in the path laid out for him. And yet not only does he grasp that, he makes a moral judgement based on it right away that makes him furious enough to blow up everyone who created him.

What the hell does that have to do with anything? And how does it play into anything not only in the rest of the movie, but anywhere in his characterization, or in the rest of the SERIES? The only other characters EVER who're that concerned with higher powers are Eusine and Cyrus, and even they wouldn't give a damn about something like that, for all their fanaticism.

Rex Kamex

Something I wonder about the Japanese version...why does Mewtwo get all mad about not being created by God to begin with? How does he even have such a CONCEPT two minutes after being born? Granted he knows quite a bit, but knowledge of a higher power isn't a necessary concept for him to know in the path laid out for him. And yet not only does he grasp that, he makes a moral judgement based on it right away that makes him furious enough to blow up everyone who created him.

What the hell does that have to do with anything? And how does it play into anything not only in the rest of the movie, but anywhere in his characterization, or in the rest of the SERIES? The only other characters EVER who're that concerned with higher powers are Eusine and Cyrus, and even they wouldn't give a damn about something like that, for all their fanaticism.

When I read this, I thought of how the people at 4Kids were wondering why Mewtwo made all of the clones and all of that in the original. (One of the dubbers mentioned that on the commentary on the movie.) Just saying.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
I'm afraid I don't follow. Are you saying that they were wondering why he was basically becoming what he hated if such a thing was never made a point or called to attention?

dagon22

Charmander master!
When I saw this in the movie theater, it was the best movie ever! My dad took me, and he slept through the whole thing. Now, I don't think it's as good as I did back then, but I still like it.

The battle between mew and mewtwo could have been better. I never saw the japanese version, so I have nothing to compare it to.

I loved seeing mew, espically its playfullness, it was so cute!!

Tom Nook

Feel free to browse
I recently rewatched this movie, and something came to mind that I never really noticed or thought of before. I don't think it's been bought up here before, so here goes.

Having just overcome the Storm of Preventional Access and being guided by zombie Joy into Mewtwo's arena, Misty makes the decision that Togepi might not enjoy the environment they're in and places Togepi in her bag, zipping it up. Upon which a plothole emerges.

Togepi didn't reappear during the entire movie. Not only was it locked in a small space and struggling for air, it got thrown around during the running and jumping Misty did throughout the film. And when the clone balls started catching all the active pokemon, not one started colliding with Misty's bag. Either the bag was bulletproof, or another situation arose.

Togepi wasn't around anymore. Of course Togepi was alive and well when the trio are placed back at the Pokemon Centre, so Mewtwo may have revived it somehow. In any case Togepi's position is rather odd.

RockSteady

Pikamew
When I first watched the movie I was in kindergarten. When I saw the part where Mewtwo kills all the scientists I was scared out of my mind. The saddest part of the movie is when Ash turns into stone and Pikachu desperately tries to revive him by shocking his body. I nearly cried when that happened. This movie was great, and the sequel (Mewtwo Returns) was even better. I rate this movie an 8/10.

One of the saddest movie I ever seen in my whole life. Ever after seeying it a dozen times.
I can't stop crying...It is so, awesome bttl, but also so extreme when Ash dies and Pikachu (what was for me the breaking moment ) gonna cry....Just so....Extremly:O

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
I'm watching it now on Cartoon Network this morning after not seeing it for the past several years. Certainly brought back memories for me. I still can't believe it will be 10 years this November since it premiered. Time is going too fast for me. Come to think of it: it will be 10 years this year since I first started watching Pokemon. That's kinda an anniversary in itself.

Pkmn_Collector

Go Go Power Rangers
i actually cried abit when i first went to see it in theatres and was like wow when ash turned to stone while pikachu was crying.but i did find it odd how they released 2 versions of mewtwo's origin's.the edit one in one of the pokemon vhs tapes and the uncut one.

Rex Kamex

I'm afraid I don't follow. Are you saying that they were wondering why he was basically becoming what he hated if such a thing was never made a point or called to attention?

Now I don't follow...

Uh... to reword what I said earlier, the people at 4Kids were wondering what the Japanese Mewtwo was going to do with all the clones he made.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
That's kinda strange considering they dubbed what he would do. Maybe they didn't see the point to it then.

Littlemyuu

i remember when i first saw this movie on the big screen ^_^
Mewtwo was my favorite Pokemon even if he was mean at the start...glad he realize that Pokemon are the same in every way..