• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mewtwo Strikes Back Manga

Lucreciatwo

A Mewtwo Fangirl
I know this exists and I've seen pics. But did they ever do an english translated version of this that doesn't have screenshots in it. LOL

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Nope. As far as I can tell, the earlier movie mangas never got english translations- Chuangi Yi picked them up starting in the third gen, and Viz in the fourth.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Sorry, there's no official English translation (despite the mangaka being the same person who did Electric Tale of Pikachu). Someone attempted to translate it, but she didn't go through the process of actually putting in translated text in the scans, all she did was just describe what went on in great detail. I believe nearly all of the pages of the manga were scanned. I'd post a link to it if you haven't seen the whole thing.

To be honest, as tragic as it was, I didn't really care for the manga. It was interesting, and I believe it's more along the CD Drama side than anything else, but it's an adaptation that is otherwise its own continuity.

Lucreciatwo

A Mewtwo Fangirl
Sorry, there's no official English translation (despite the mangaka being the same person who did Electric Tale of Pikachu). Someone attempted to translate it, but she didn't go through the process of actually putting in translated text in the scans, all she did was just describe what went on in great detail. I believe nearly all of the pages of the manga were scanned. I'd post a link to it if you haven't seen the whole thing.

To be honest, as tragic as it was, I didn't really care for the manga. It was interesting, and I believe it's more along the CD Drama side than anything else, but it's an adaptation that is otherwise its own continuity.

I would love to have a link thank you :)
BTW did they also make one for when he returned?

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
A manga based off of Mewtwo Returns?

Doesn't exist, as far as I know.

Unless you mean the Genesect movie. If so, then you should know it's not the same Mewtwo and yes, all Pokemon movies have manga adaptations.

Honeyichigo

The manliest
I would love to have a link thank you :)

Here you go. Hopefully this doesn't break the no scans rule, because they're not really scans and because no one here will basically ever have a chance of every buying this thing anyway.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Here you go. Hopefully this doesn't break the no scans rule, because they're not really scans and because no one here will basically ever have a chance of every buying this thing anyway.

Oh Jesus, the art looks so rough. Like seriously what happened to Mewtwo's head? And it seems the illustrator had artistic license and made the manga adaptation a lot different from the movie version. I mean I guess it's interesting since it gives us a different glimpse into the movie, but most of that stuff isn't canon so it doesn't really mean much imo.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Nope. As far as I can tell, the earlier movie mangas never got english translations- Chuangi Yi picked them up starting in the third gen, and Viz in the fourth.
It's too bad the earlier movie mangas never got picked up by either company. It's also too bad that we have next to no info about the second, third, fourth and five movie manga adaptations as well.

Sorry, there's no official English translation (despite the mangaka being the same person who did Electric Tale of Pikachu).
It is odd considering they released the Electric Tale of Pikachu and the popularity of the series at the time, but I guess since it was never completed/got a volume release that was why?

I'm not sure what the exact details of it, but considering it doesn't have an official release here and considering its rarity (it never even got a volume release in Japan either) I think/hope it's okay. Anyways, thanks for posting! I had never seen it before so I'm really pleased to be able to find out more about it. Though is that it? I always figured he adapted the whole movie. I'm a bit disappointed it appears he didn't since his adaptation seems quite interesting...

And it seems the illustrator had artistic license and made the manga adaptation a lot different from the movie version. I mean I guess it's interesting since it gives us a different glimpse into the movie, but most of that stuff isn't canon so it doesn't really mean much imo.
They told him he had to include an origin for the manga, but since he only had the movie script to deal with at the time (it was before the movie's release or drama CD), he had to come up with his own. Its canon in its own continuity at least, but yeah, that's about it. :p

Last edited:

Lucreciatwo

A Mewtwo Fangirl
Oh Jesus, the art looks so rough. Like seriously what happened to Mewtwo's head? And it seems the illustrator had artistic license and made the manga adaptation a lot different from the movie version. I mean I guess it's interesting since it gives us a different glimpse into the movie, but most of that stuff isn't canon so it doesn't really mean much imo.
ROFL! I know what ya mean! His head looks like it got squashed. XD
Still, I wish someone would translate the manga though.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
Never heard of it. Gotta check it out

Good luck with that. It's hard to find, even in Japan. It was never compiled in anything other than its initial magazine released.

Manga Reader X

Here's a summary of the Mewtwo Strikes Back! manga: http://www.geocities.ws/kdmewtwo/dengeki.html

BTW did they also make one for when he returned?

Not as far as I know, it's not impossible though. If there is one, it was only published in a / some out of print magazines.

It's also too bad that we have next to no info about the second, third, fourth and five movie manga adaptations as well.

There are complete, good quality scans of the second, third and fourth movie manga.

Fun fact:
There are two different manga series for at least Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea and Giratina and the Sky Warrior:

Pokémon Ranger and the Prince of the Sea Manaphy: The Feature Film, Quick Comic-ified (ポケモンレンジャーと蒼海の王子マナフィ: 注目の映画を、最速コミック化!!) is a three chapters long manga adaption of the ninth movie that was published in three different magazines in 2006.
Giratina and the Sky's Bouquet Shaymin: Special Comic Prequel (ギラティナと氷空の花束シェイミ: スペシャルコミック前編) is a three chapters long manga adaption of the eleventh movie that was published in three different magazines in 2008.

Last edited:

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Not as far as I know, it's not impossible though. If there is one, it was only published in a / some out of print magazines.
I kinda hope there isn't just for the sole fact it would be annoying for more to be out there and us not to have it or know about it. xD;

There are complete, good quality scans of the second, third and fourth movie manga.
Oh wow, I didn't know that. Interesting, I'll try looking for them sometime.

Fun fact:
There are two different manga series for at least Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea and Giratina and the Sky Warrior:

Pokémon Ranger and Prince of the Sea Manaphy: The Feature Film, Quick Comic-ified (ポケモンレンジャーと蒼海の王子マナフィ: 注目の映画を、最速コミック化!!) is a three chapters long manga adaption of the ninth movie that was published in three different magazines in 2006.
Giratina and the Sky's Bouquet Shaymin: Special Comic Prequel (ギラティナと氷空の花束シェイミ: スペシャルコミック前編) is a three chapters long manga adaption of the eleventh movie that was published in three different magazines in 2008.
That's interesting. Do we know if there were any differences compared to the other manga series for said movies?

Manga Reader X

I kinda hope there isn't just for the sole fact it would be annoying for more to be out there and us not to have it or know about it. xD;

Oh wow, I didn't know that. Interesting, I'll try looking for them sometime.

That's interesting. Do we know if there were any differences compared to the other manga series for said movies?

Well, there are at least 92 different Pokémon manga series as far as I know. Last time I checked, Bulbapedia covered about 60-70 of those (and one series was even horribly mislabelled as a complete other series), so there's plenty you don't know about. I am listing all known Pokémon manga series here, but I haven't had time to update the list for quite a while (but I plan update it at some point).

I don't read movie adaptations, so I don't know. I do however have complete scans of Pokémon Ranger and the Prince of the Sea Manaphy: The Feature Film, Quick Comic-ified and Giratina and the Sky's Bouquet Shaymin: Special Comic Prequel.

Last edited:

Izanagi

'Sup!
This is all very interesting. I been trying to look for the manga myself but considering it rarity it has been very hard to track down. So this thread was very informative.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Well, there are at least 92 different Pokémon manga series as far as I know. Last time I checked, Bulbapedia covered about 60-70 of those (and one series was even horribly mislabelled as a complete other series), so there's plenty you don't know about. I am listing all known Pokémon manga series here, but I haven't had time to update the list for quite a while (but I plan update it at some point).
Oh wow, 92? I knew there were a lot but didn't know it was quite that many, but at the same time not really surprised. I really would like being able to find out more about them, sadly there's only so many we seem to know too much about... And thanks for the link, it's very interesting and I'll be sure to keep tabs on it.

I don't read movie adaptations, so I don't know. I do however have complete scans of Pokémon Ranger and the Prince of the Sea Manaphy: The Feature Film, Quick Comic-ified and Giratina and the Sky's Bouquet Shaymin: Special Comic Prequel.
I actually don't either, but I do enjoy learning of differences between things regardless. :p I might at some point though, but first I would need to catch up on the newer movies. And oh that's cool.