• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mewtwo ~ The Prologue to Awakening (BWSP1)

Haunter ゴースト

Sounds like it looks as good as the movie, but is a disappointment in other aspects.

Serebii will you be uploading the special episode pictures?

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
We know that for a while, well thats my main problem or only problem they didn't explain it I think, unless they did at the start the evil dude was talking about something but I don't know japanese so no idea.

Dunc was a Pokemon Hunter hired by "the people who created Mewtwo" to recapture it. That's the only explanation that was given for anything.

Game Freak don't have a track record of ignoring the past. The XY website already addressses Mewtwo's game history.

It simply says Mewjin Buu looks like Mewtwo. Nothing more. Mewtwo's story was never properly done n the games. Except for the Pokedex's data which says Team Rocket created Mewtwo. They could obviously take up the storyline from the scratch.

I know the anime and games are not the same. But I can see them retcon anime Mewtwo's storyline for the games. It sucks, but right now that's the only logical and plausible explanation. The way Mr. Yuyama skipped around the topic and gave a vague "We thought it's better to have a New Mewtwo" says me so. In the end, the anime exists for the game not the vice versa.

An interesting tidbit: Danku, the hunter sent to capture Mewtwo doesn't know about the existence of Mewtwo's alternate forme. He's surprised when Mewtwo shifts forme and says so

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
So then this didn't contradict anything of Mewtwo's backstory. This could still be the same Mewtwo as the one from the first movie.

But this Mewtwo distrusted humans and Pokemon. I am not sure if Oldtwo can be so distrusting. He has accepted things by the en of the Johto special.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Wow, what a letdown. They had a chance to make Mewtwo Q different from the real Mewtwo, and then totally blew it by making a copy of Mewtwo Returns with Team Rocket replaced by bland COTDs. Seriously, the underground lake? Mewtwo was barely even in this.

Klang was the best thing about this, yet it was still better than any Da! episode so far.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
I don't care about what the creator says, I just look at what's in the episodes or movies.

Who the heck cares, if I'm telling you something its red and its red but you say its blue, people will say youre crazy not me, suit yourself.

Wow, what a letdown. They had a chance to make Mewtwo Q different from the real Mewtwo, and then totally blew it by making a copy of Mewtwo Returns with Team Rocket replaced by bland COTDs. Seriously, the underground lake? Mewtwo was barely even in this.

Klang was the best thing about this, yet it was still better than any Da! episode so far.

I'm assuming you didnt even watch the episode...

CotD weren't bland, villan wasn't bland.

Mewtwo appeared a lot and came off pretty well out of this.

Last edited:

Kein

AKA Silktree
It simply says Mewjin Buu looks like Mewtwo. Nothing more.
The Japanese website references Cerulean Cave and the fact that someone manipulated Mew's genes to create Mewtwo.

Mewtwo's story was never properly done n the games. Except for the Pokedex's data which says Team Rocket created Mewtwo. They could obviously take up the storyline from the scratch.
There is nothing tying Mewtwo to Team Rocket in the games. There are, however, multiple references hinting that Mr. Fuji created Mewtwo. I see no reason why that would be contradicted or be completely ignored in XY.

I know the anime and games are not the same. But I can see them retcon anime Mewtwo's storyline for the games. It sucks, but right now that's the only logical and plausible explanation. The way Mr. Yuyama skipped around the topic and gave a vague "We thought it's better to have a New Mewtwo" says me so. In the end, the anime exists for the game not the vice versa.
But it's not as if they alluded to Kalos in the prologue, and apparently they won't do that in the movie, either. You're also forgetting that Movie 15's depiction of Kyurem had little to do with the games. In fact, the movies have never had much to do with the games.

Last edited:

Haunter ゴースト

Special looks epic, it's a shame not much backstory is given HOWEVER, the backstory may be fully explained in the actual Movie which would be more logical.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
They're purposely leaving it ambiguous so its up to fans to decide if its the same Mewtwo or not. People said Ash doesn't even say anything about the old Mewtwo in the movie so there's no contradictions.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
One person said Ash doesn't say anything.

One.

I've said this all along but i'm gonna wait until that's confirmed on release day.

It wouldn't be surprising if he doesn't. Whenever Ash sees the same legendary a second time he very rarely talks about his first encounter with it. He said nothing of Jirachi either just recently.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
Special looks epic, it's a shame not much backstory is given HOWEVER, the backstory may be fully explained in the actual Movie which would be more logical.
If that's the case, then this prologue became even more pointless. This was THE best place to explain Newtwo's backstory, but they squandered it. So this doesn't bode well for the movie's explanation of it.

They're purposely leaving it ambiguous so its up to fans to decide if its the same Mewtwo or not. People said Ash doesn't even say anything about the old Mewtwo in the movie so there's no contradictions.
Except that it's already been established that it's different. There's no ifs, buts or maybes, M16 Mewtwo is a completely seperate entity from M01/MR Mewtwo.

nuzamaki90

Iirc a viewer of the early screenings said there was no reference besides Ash recognizing Mewtwo because his memory wasn't wiped.

Haunter ゴースト

It wouldn't be surprising if he doesn't. Whenever Ash sees the same legendary a second time he very rarely talks about his first encounter with it. He said nothing of Jirachi either just recently.

I argree 100% with that, i'm just saying one statement doesn't mean it's reliable. Regardless, it probably is true i'm just going to wait.

If that's the case, then this prologue became even more pointless. This was THE best place to explain Newtwo's backstory, but they squandered it. So this doesn't bode well for the movie's explanation of it.

Definitely pointless, but entertaining yes.

I'd like to see an actual explanation in the Movie where it is more relevant than none at all.

Iirc a viewer of the early screenings said there was no reference besides Ash recognizing Mewtwo because his memory wasn't wiped.

Exactly, only one person said about it. Not everybody.

Crimson_Blazer

Except that it's already been established that it's different. There's no ifs, buts or maybes, M16 Mewtwo is a completely seperate entity from M01/MR Mewtwo.
how do you explain this then?
On February 15, 2013, the film's subsequent subtitle was released, revealing the inclusion of Mewtwo in the film. Yuyama's statement on the official website for the film explains that Mewtwo has changed after traveling the world following the events of Mewtwo Returns.