• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mewtwo ~ The Prologue to Awakening (BWSP1)

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Cool, a breloom sighting.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
how do you explain this then?
On February 15, 2013, the film's subsequent subtitle was released, revealing the inclusion of Mewtwo in the film. Yuyama's statement on the official website for the film explains that Mewtwo has changed after traveling the world following the events of Mewtwo Returns.
And then on Pokémon Smash, he outright said this Mewtwo was different. And several other factors in the manga, film and prologue point to this not being the same Mewtwo. And someone who saw an early screening said it wasn't the same Mewtwo, and that the old one isn't mentioned at all.

Yuyama probably lied about that to hide the fact it was different.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
And then on Pokémon Smash, he outright said this Mewtwo was different. And several other factors in the manga, film and prologue point to this not being the same Mewtwo. And someone who saw an early screening said it wasn't the same Mewtwo, and that the old one isn't mentioned at all.

Either lied or changed ideas, I think he just changed ideas personally, pretty cheap if he lied just to promote the movie, well its marketing but still pretty damn shady.

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
...Well, Virgil, once again, your damned Eevee remains a damned Eevee, and your Leafeon almost makes some significance, unlike how the writers love Glaceon over it. Why couldn't Trip be the focus character?

I guess they just didn't want Ash and the others interact directly with Mewtwo so that it feels refreshing to them in the movie...

But still, destroying the Poke Balls? Now we know Pokémon can be involuntarily set free from the hands of oppression known as trainers.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
...Well, Virgil, once again, your damned Eevee remains a damned Eevee, and your Leafeon almost makes some significance, unlike how the writers love Glaceon over it. Why couldn't Trip be the focus character?

I guess they just didn't want Ash and the others interact directly with Mewtwo so that it feels refreshing to them in the movie...

But still, destroying the Poke Balls? Now we know Pokémon can be involuntarily set free from the hands of oppression known as trainers.

Because Virgil made sense being a ranger and all.

Mewtwo was figthing the villan pokemon and they got buried in the rocks and I believe he called a "ranger" to help him, that ranger was Virgil.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
I only watched the pictures, but this seems a cool special. I agree that it seems pointless, but the animation seems really good. Can't wait to watch it! :D

Haunter ゴースト

Just watched the prologue - wow it was brilliant.

Damn shame not much back story is told but the special none the less was great. Definitely has the old anime writing vibe - I hope this is the turning point of writing in the anime where everything becomes more emotional and epic instead of immature and silly.

Now for the movie.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
how do you explain this then?
On February 15, 2013, the film's subsequent subtitle was released, revealing the inclusion of Mewtwo in the film. Yuyama's statement on the official website for the film explains that Mewtwo has changed after traveling the world following the events of Mewtwo Returns.

Either lied or changed ideas, I think he just changed ideas personally, pretty cheap if he lied just to promote the movie, well its marketing but still pretty damn shady.

The explanation is simple enough: "Yuyama's statement was mistranslated".
This has been explained before. He never once stated this Mewtwo was the same as before, his statements were just worded in a way that made it a bit unclear whether he meant this was a different Mewtwo, or the same Mewtwo who had been changed by its more recent experiences.
I'm not sure where the translation Crimson Blazer quotes comes from, but it's not a correct one. It was explained back in February what he had actually said.

Also, him stating he "felt it would be better if this was a different Mewtwo" is him talking as a director. It fit the story better for the Mewtwo to be a different Mewtwo. It really isn't something to get so hung up about.

Last edited:

Iblistech

Simply Fabulous
So, Oldtwo is going to be completely ignored (like it never existed) in favor of Newtwo huh? Stupid, but I digress. The special didn't look too bad, though.

Edit: Since the creator said that Newtwo would be better suited, I won't complain about it. Besides, Newtwo is really growing on me.

Last edited:

Regality

Digital King
I just looked at the screenshots... can anyone explain why this Mewtwo, whether it be the same one or not, is so weak? It seemed like it got its arse handed to it.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
So as expected, nothing was explained? Figures. I think the audience was expected to be enthralled by the superior animation, which was gorgeous I'm not gonna lie (why can't the regular anime have such fantastic animation), but that wasn't what this prologue should have been about imo. I really wanted the plot holes to be covered, but that didn't happen. We have no idea how this new Mewtwo came to be and that's just bad storytelling imo.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I like the fact that it is a new Mewtwo. It's backstory will likely be revealed in the games but not the anime, like Rotom.

It's nice seeing Virgil but his Eeveelutions did squat. The only ones who did something were Espeon, Umbreon, and Vaporeon.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I like the fact that it is a new Mewtwo. It's backstory will likely be revealed in the games but not the anime, like Rotom.

It's nice seeing Virgil but his Eeveelutions did squat. The only ones who did something were Espeon, Umbreon, and Vaporeon.

Seems Leafeon is the anime's butt monkey unlike his anime superior cousin Flareon.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
I just looked at the screenshots... can anyone explain why this Mewtwo, whether it be the same one or not, is so weak? It seemed like it got its arse handed to it.

It wasn't weak, Escavalier and Tyranitar didn't do anthing to him actually, it was the machines that the evil dude used that did some damage.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

Since the games =/= anime, any information about Mewtwo in the new games will likely not be canon. I don't see why the director didn't at least try to come up with a good explanation for the new Mewtwo. I mean this prologue special was the perfect opportunity for that, but it didn't happen. Speaking of which, I honestly felt that Virgil and his Eevee team were redundant. They didn't do nearly as much as they could've done. They just sort of stood there for promo reasons. :c

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
CotD weren't bland, villan wasn't bland.

Anna and Oscar didn't really have anything special to do in this, Virgil almost literally did nothing, and Danku was little more than a blend of Vicious, Domino and J. Admittedly, he was the best character, but in a cast this weak, it's not saying much.

It sure looked like Mewtwo Q killed Danku at the end, too, because after it attacked him, I don't think he was seen again.

Mewtwo appeared a lot and came off pretty well out of this.

Mewtwo Q only made two short appearances prior to the mid-episode eyecatch by my count, and despite their opportunity, there is still literally nothing making it a memorable character on its own. If you strip away everything that was blatantly lifted from the real Mewtwo, all that remains to distinguish it is the female voice and the Awakened Form.

It doesn't help that this episode was basically the same thing as Mewtwo Returns with Team Rocket removed. Both have Mewtwo escaping from its creators, going to a place where sympathetic Pokémon are with it, being pursued by its creators, meeting a group consisting of both existing characters and COTDs, being attacked by a villain who disguised themselves as a hero, and ultimately overcoming machines deployed against it and soundly defeating the villain.