1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Mewtwo ~ The Prologue to Awakening (BWSP1)

Discussion in 'Pokémon Chronicles & Specials' started by Serebii, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Dephender

Dephender Gizakawayusu Staff Member Moderator

Anna, Oscar and Virgil took him with them and delivered to to the police.

2. Regality

Regality Digital King

Oh right, awesome!
    I will have to watch it instead of quickly looking at the screenshots.

3. AgentPierce

AgentPierce Mad science FTW!

Exactly. Except that Mewtwo Returns did it better by having the disuised villain part of Team Rocket, and the villain Mewtwo soundly defeats the leader of Team Rocket. With the Team Rocket element and pre-existing backstory stripped away, this is a hollow shell of a great story.

I'd buy that if they didn't rip off so much of the original Mewtwo's backstory, making it redundant for it to be a different Mewtwo.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  4. Acdog

Acdog Well-Known Member

I really, really want to know what the Japanese's reaction is to this. You know Japan has fans that are as old as we are as well as the younger viewers. Wonder what they think of all this.

5. Dephender

6. Shneak

Shneak this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨

The animation was stunning. Maybe XY can adopt it for every episode. It couldn't have been that much more expensive.

There was unfortunately nothing that important about it, but it was still better than a Da episode.. Newtwo wasn't explained, the Awakened form went unexplained, and it barely associates with M16 except for Ash, Cilan and Iris appearing at the end.

I applaud the aggressiveness though. Mewtwo was pissed and even released Tyranitar and Escavalier. Intense.

BTS_fan likes this.
  7. Dephender

That's not true. It take place between two flashbacks to Mewtwo's past that happen in the movie, and also explains his coldness towards humans pretty well.

8. Shneak

Shneak this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨

I suppose it would be too soon to introduce the Genesects. After all, Mewtwo inserts itself into their plot. I basically wanted the prologue to the prologue to be fleshed out better.

BTS_fan likes this.
  9. The Great Butler

The Great Butler Hush, keep it down

Which would be nice if this whole thing wasn't retreaded territory from the real Mewtwo, just condensed into an extremely abridged form.

This thing is seriously the most wafer-thin character I think I've ever seen in this anime. It has no distinguishing characteristics of its own.

BTS_fan likes this.
  10. J Ken

J Ken RAVE

Alright special nothing great outside of animation but aside from showing off Mewtwo's new form before the movie did it really serve any purpose?

11. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie "It is my destiny."

Okay, so I watched the prologue once I discovered the English sub was released. I prepared myself prior to watching it, and I jotted down notes throughout. I made sure to pause the video and write down notes as they came to me. I'll just say first off that this prologue was pointless and only just made me mad at the end. Here is what I noted pretty much from beginning to end:

- At least the opening is hook-worthy, I'll give them that.

- Virgil, Anna, and her grandfather are uninteresting characters, and they are pointless. All they do is just stand around doing nothing. Yeah, there was that one time where Virgil showed off his rescuing skills, but it was a dumb rescue (due to it being an obvious trick), and after that, he did nothing. Okay, yeah, his team tried to put out the fire, but they just made it worse, and then they just stood around looking like deer in headlights.

- Danku was an obvious villain in his introduction, sneaking around like that and pulling up his makeshift sling. I don't know if that's what they were going for to show he was the bad guy, but that made his obvious reveal not shock-worthy. His voice is sexy (it's Nougami Neuro's voice actor, after all), but that's the only good thing about him. He wasn't threatening, he just stood around giving orders to his Pokémon, and once they left him (I will admit that Newtwo crushing the PokéBalls was neat), he just gave up and they hauled him off to jail. Some Pokémon Hunter he is. For someone who did something similar in a previous movie, the Iron-Masked Marauder was more threatening than him because he did stuff.

Danku, not even your voice actor could save you. You are disappointing, and you look like a human Lucario.

- Anna's flashback apparently lost context or lost control of its narrative. She's remembering the time when Stoutland saved her (even said so herself), but then all of a sudden it goes to when Newtwo saved them. I know they were connected, but why keep the flashback going like that instead of having the grandfather cutting in or something by saying, "But wait, there's more!"? Now I don't know if she was the one telling the flashback by the end or not.

- Newtwo's glowing eyes are scary, by the way.

- Virgil is an ass. "I wanna hire this unknown Pokémon onto my rescue team despite having all Eevees!" I don't know him well as a character, so I don't know if he was like this in the show as well, but that made me roll my eyes at him.

- Wait... Pokémon who are "trapped" can't be recalled back into PokéBalls? Wouldn't any of them have questioned why he couldn't just do that from the start? Was this ever established that Pokémon can't be recalled into their balls under certain circumstances?

- Water in a cavern that goes underground? An obvious Cerulean Cave or Mount Quena reference if I ever saw one. Also, the Azumarill and Marill were pointless, they disappeared right after pointing Eevee and Stoutland to the cavern. Gee, thanks for contributing to the plot, your check's in the mail!

- Not going to go into it because the movie thread is full of it anyway, but yes, Newtwo was made from Mew DNA and looks like Mewtwo somehow. This will still piss me off no matter how much it's "explained".

- Flashback has an obvious pose from the electric torture scene of Mewtwo Returns.

- Um, Virgil, you don't know what a Mewtwo looks like. So how would your Pokémon know what it looks like?

- Oh, Anna is friends with the Pokémon in the forest. And she can call them in a prayer? Really? Unless it's a reference to the Shinto religion or whatever, or she's somehow a fairy/forest sprite/magical being, I'm calling bull on that. The fact that the Pokémon do absolutely nothing afterwards is further proof of it. Thanks for being more useless, Anna.

- Newtwo's voice actress may be a good voice actress for all I know (I don't know what other roles she's done), but GOD the voice doesn't fit the appearance of this character. Like, at all.

- By the way, who the hell hired Danku if the laboratory was destroyed? How did he know what happened there? Were the flashback sequences (which may be movie footage) really necessary? And how did Newtwo know it could transform? And how the hell did Danku not know about it? Gee, for a prologue that's supposed to explain the "awakening", it didn't explain jack.

- Anna cries over Newtwo for no apparent reason. What was she sorry for anyway? She didn't do anything. Gotta make her cute somehow! >_>

- There was an obvious Mewtwo Returns attempt with the machines, but it was less dramatic, and it was over with quickly. Okay, yeah, justified because in Mewtwo Returns, Mewtwo did it willingly in order to keep his clones safe. So if he were to ever break out (which he apparently had the power to do, even though by that time it nearly killed him), Giovanni would order the clones experimented on without hesitation. Newtwo here may have been weak, but it fought off the machines fine. Then it goes on to just put out the fire easily with a cyclone of water from a nearby lake. Some climax.

And then this is where the prologue pissed me off.

Newtwo, as it watched the fire spread, went on to say to itself, "I am the strongest Pokémon ever made" before putting out the fire. BULL. SHIT. If Newtwo is the strongest Pokémon ever, it wouldn't have spend all that time fighting the Tyranitar and Escavalier, it would've defeated them easily! Or hell, it wouldn't have gotten injured so easily! Newtwo wouldn't have given Danku the time of day if it were the strongest! I get it, it's a "newborn", but Mewtwo was stronger than that despite being minutes old. It may have been egotistical for him to claim after blowing up the lab that he's the strongest Pokémon in the world, but it was true! We saw proof of it almost immediately afterwards! But what did Newtwo do? It laid around in water and just showed off its unexplained forme while having the fight unnecessarily prolonged. There should have been no excuse for the weaknesses of Steel and Dark going up against it.

Of course, then it gets worse in that Newtwo turns out to be a bitch by telling the humans--after putting out the fire--"I just saved Pokémon." Then why did it save the humans? To make it more infuriating, Anna, her grandfather and Virgil just shrug it off and say thanks anyway. Yeah, yeah, it's polite, but still, one of them should've called it out on it being rude. Then it goes on to say "forget you ever met me" and just flies off without doing anything? What did it expect, that humans are goldfish and forget things like that?

So there you go. My qualms with the prologue. It did nothing to explain like it was advertised to do. If anything, it just further proved that Newtwo should've never been created, because it was obvious that you could replace Newtwo with the original Mewtwo and it would've had the same effect if this had happened at any time prior to the first movie, or even during Mewtwo Returns. The characters were even more pointless by just filling in space. Outside of explaining their own flashback, they did nothing. The only good thing about the prologue was the animation and the fight sequences, but even then, it was obvious the fight sequences were just there to fill in the gaps because the writers were too lazy to actually put in proper explanation for the new forme. Seriously, if they got rid of the fight or at least shortened it (because the "world's strongest" shouldn't have to spend five-plus minutes fighting them), they would've been able to explain the forme instead of just showing it off.

What a dreadful prologue. The hype wasn't worth it, and it only further fueled my dislike toward Newtwo. Good job, Oriental Light and Magic, for wasting all that time and money writing and animating a pointless prologue when it could've gone towards something else. You must be proud of yourself.

12. Nightstar1994

Nightstar1994 Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with your review Kutie Pie. You mentioned the strongest parts of this special (read Takehito Koyasu) and the meh ones. I never watched it subtitlet, so I'm quite surprised the writers went with the "I am the strongest Pokemon in the universe!" text for Mewtwo again. First of all, I understand it was fine in Kanto since Mewtwo was truly the most powerful one, only equal to it's original Mew, but not now. We are after Arceus already.

13. Dephender

They didn't, the subtitles Kutie Pie watched were full of mistranslations and made-up nonsense. Several of the complaints about the writings are just about things that weren't translated properly.

Janovy likes this.
  14. Battra

Battra Well-Known Member

Yeah this episode was completely pointless, sad to see that that the writers continue not to care about their own canon, and Kutie Pie's basically said what I wanted to say.

BTS_fan likes this.
  15. OnceUponATime

OnceUponATime Wicked

I honestly didn't think we were getting this in the dub, nonetheless a couple months after the movie airing. I'm excited! Maybe we'll get some of the other so-far unaired specials eventually, too (Dawn and Brock w/ Cilan and Iris' later on).

BTS_fan likes this.
  16. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Hey, Deku, you looking up your name on Googl-?"

Oh joy, we get to see Gary "Virgil" Stu again just because Mewtwo is in there.

But do we get to see Cilan's and Iris's last hurrah? Noooooooooo. (At least for now.)

17. Vernikova

Vernikova Champion

Special finally aired. I don't understand the point of the special though. I guess they just wanted to do some more Mega Mewtwo/Eeveelution marketing at the time. Wasn't all that good really. Sub-par for even the anime sans the animation which was well above average.

18. SmartD

SmartD Well-Known Member

I watched this today. It was a pretty good special for the most part.

BTS_fan likes this.
  19. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Hey, Deku, you looking up your name on Googl-?"

This special should have aired way back when they aired this movie. It's kind of too late to bother.

Too bad Flareon and Jolteon got the axe and did not appear as a result. Their absences just made me wonder why they brought Virgil back.

What's up with that Pocahontas girl? She can call Pokemon forest to do her bidding, but she never called them when she and her grandpa were falling to their deaths? True, the moment scared the hell out of her, but nobody ever elaborates on her gift.

And this is where they dropped the movie villain? I must say he should have been in the movie for the trio to fight while female Mewtwo and Genesect were fighting in the background, but Virgil didn't even fight him at all.

Ugh, well, this is the last we'll see of BW stuff. Next week, we enter the XY wagon for good.

XY Rules likes this.
  20. The Great Butler

The Great Butler Hush, keep it down

Well, it was a good way to send off BW. Dubbing was solid, all the original music was kept and the voices were done well.

I just wish it had been included in the DVD, but I have a suspicion I know why - I think Dirk, the Pokemon Hunter, was played by Christopher Patton (Greed in Fullmetal Alchemist among other roles), who only just Tweeted that he recorded his Pokemon role a few weeks ago.