• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mewtwo ~ The Prologue to Awakening (BWSP1)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I just wish it had been included in the DVD, but I have a suspicion I know why - I think Dirk, the Pokemon Hunter, was played by Christopher Patton (Greed in Fullmetal Alchemist among other roles), who only just Tweeted that he recorded his Pokemon role a few weeks ago.

Is he anti-DVD material or what?

EDIT: Oh wait, he voiced that guy too late so that means there was no room for the DVD.

Well, this sucked in JPN as it is, so there's nothing anyone could do to fix this, but I digress...

I watched this for Virgil in both versions, tbh: everyone else ranged from boring to aggravating to me, except I did like Oscar as well.

As for the dub, the voices were quite honestly a mixed bag.

I think a friend of mine here said it best, but my comments on them are in parentheses:

Worst Voices:

- Anna (Voice was absolutely horribly high-pitched and I had trouble understanding what she was saying)
- Professor Oak (Carter Cathcart is so bad in this role, it's not even funny, and he continues to get worse as Prof. Oak)
- Tyranitar (Just sounded pissed off to me and angry)
- M16 Mewtwo (Miriam Pultro's performance as the female Mewtwo in dub M16 was poor, and this was even worse-- talk about generic and forgettable)
- Umbreon (Yeesh...sounds off)
- Vaporeon (Eww...what the heck happened here?)

Decent Voices:

- Dirk (Okay)
- Iris (Okay: Eileen was off a bit, but okay)
- Ash (Meh, Sarah kept going back between BW voice (better) and XY002 voice (worse): my problem is that she's still too inconsistent with her vocal pitch, and her Ash sound way too deep for a 10 year old's boy voice again, but it was okay. I must say Sarah Natochenny is no Veronica Taylor, and never will be as good as her based on how she's done for the last 7.5 years as Ash, unfortunately)

Good Voices:

- Virgil (Wow, Tom Wayland actually cast himself well for once)
- The Rest of the Eevee Team (Good, I guess)
- Cilan (Jason was good, but a little off)
- Oscar (Anna's grandfather-- Hands down the best VA in this one and stood out, IMO)

BGM:

- They did good with keeping all the ORG JPN music here, but it's being played so low I can't hear it much anyway, so that's a problem to me.

Script Writing/Dialogue:

- Well, at least the script writing wasn't as bad as it is in the anime's dub now: none of Ash's cool speak was here, which was great.

Last edited:

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Is he anti-DVD material or what?

EDIT: Oh wait, he voiced that guy too late so that means there was no room for the DVD.

Yeah, I suspect he was cast but for whatever reason couldn't make it to New York in time, given how quickly the turnover of the recording to the airing turned out to be.

Yeah, I suspect he was cast but for whatever reason couldn't make it to New York in time, given how quickly the turnover of the recording to the airing turned out to be.

Any idea who played Oscar here? I thought that VA did pretty well, actually.

Huh the dub wasn't bad at all. I actually quite liked it.

The dub was okay at best to me, tbh, but to each their own. I found several voice actors were miscast, but that's nothing new to me about the current Pokemon English dub by DuArt/TPCi.

Script writing/dialogue wise, I will say, this was much better here than it is normally, though, which was a pleasant surprise: no cool speaking Ash was WONDERFUL (if you want me to elaborate on what "cool speak" is, I can).

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Huh the dub wasn't bad at all. I actually quite liked it.
Well, that makes one of us. Compared to other episodes, I felt that the dubbing for this episode sounded almost completely like utter bull crap

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Any idea who played Oscar here? I thought that VA did pretty well, actually.

Probably Marc Thompson or another regular VA. I don't think there were any guests besides Chris Patton and Miriam Pultro.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Anna sounded like Nanako from P4 to me. Other then that I wish Virgil was in the actual movie.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Bulbapedia found the credits and were able to get Dirk and Anna's voice actors.

Dirk was Spike Spencer, who's never been on Pokemon before, while Anna was Cristina Vee, who played Layla in BW095 and a large number of roles in Origins.

Bulbapedia found the credits and were able to get Dirk and Anna's voice actors.

Dirk was Spike Spencer, who's never been on Pokemon before, while Anna was Cristina Vee, who played Layla in BW095 and a large number of roles in Origins.

Spike did okay/satisfactory work as Dirk, but Cristina was horrible as Anna, IMO. She was much better as Layla back in BW095, and even as that lass as well as several of her other roles in Origins, than she was here.

Probably Marc Thompson or another regular VA. I don't think there were any guests besides Chris Patton and Miriam Pultro.

Marc Thompson did very well, then: he was the standout, IMO.

Last edited:

Vipsoccermaster

The special episode was good, I must say. I knew Dirk looked kind of suspicious when he first appeared behind the tree. And seeing Virgil and his Team Eevee was great, too.

NPT

Just a member
Mewtwo ~ The Prologue to Awakening

Oh great, finally the English dub of the Newtwo Mewtwo prologue special is out. Having seen this special, I have to admit, it was very well-animatied. The movie-quality animation made the battles in this special more intersting to watch.

I wasn't too thrilled to see Virgil again, his appearance was pointless since most of the time he just stood in the background, doing almost nothing. Sigh, I guess they wanted to do more Eeveelution promotion by including him in the special. I was surprised to see hunter Drik's Pokémon leaving him once their pokéballs were distroyed by Mewtwo, it seemed that the Pokémon didn't have much loality for him.

There were some good Mewtwo action in this special. I liked the scenes which showcased Newtwo Mewtwo. The scene where Newtwo Mewtwo went crazy and destroyed all the pokeballs to free the Pokémon was cool, and the scene where Mewtwo stops the fires was cool as well. Too bad we still didn't get to know anything about how this Mewtwo was created and why? It wasn't a proper prologue because it didn't show much details about Mewtwo. It would've been more interesting if
the writers used this special to explore Mewtwo's origin, but sadly they decided to give screentime on Virgil, Dirk and Eeveelution instead. Oh well, at least this special set up the 16th movie's plot with Ash and friends going to New Tork City.

The voice acting in the dub was fine, it's cool that TPCI kept all of the original Japanese music in this special. I hope they'll do the same for the upcoming XY anime episodes.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
This was a cool prologue for the Genesect film. I liked how Mewtwo used her psychic powers to save the little girl, plus when she controlled the lake water and put out the wildfire also. Virgil appearing was nice. :]

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Mewtwo saved this special from being completely boring. I liked how this tied into the newest Mewtwo movie, but to me Virgil and his Eevee rescue team were wasted. They didn't do nearly as much as they could've done. They were just...there.

Leonhart

Imagineer
It was interesting to see Virgil again, and the fact that Anna was saved by Mewtwo was fascinating. Danku being hired by Mewtwo's creators to retrieve her was intriguing as well, and I liked how Mewtwo set Danku's Bangiras and two Chevargot free by destroying their Monster Balls. I also liked seeing Satoshi's group discuss the Pokemon Hills.

I like episodes/specials where minor characters get a chance to shine without Ash in the way of their screentime. Virigil was practically an enigma in the Unova episodes even after he won the Unova League so it was nice to see him and his Eeveelution squad get some attention. I didn't really care about the new Mewtwo to start with though so I wasn't excited to see it in action here.