• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mewtwo's role in the next season?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I stand by my opinion it's not M1!Mewtwo and rather (another) new one. Specially with things pointing to this episode being a one-off.
This and that the episode will focus on Goh and not Ash.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
I find it amusing that people actually think Mewtwo will be a capture and that it'll have a future role in something when this is just some hype ep of a mon returning after being absent for over 20 years.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
You're massively overestimating what this show is about and are definitely setting yourself up for disappointment. I have no idea where people keep getting this "Journeys is totally going to finish all these loose plot threads" stuff from.

1. Goh got a Hitmonchan from the Saffron Dojo.
2. Ash got a Riolu Egg (just like in Sinnoh).
3. ... There's a tower being constructed in Vermillion, which was a thing in the RB-games? o_O;)

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Here is how I think the big showdown against Eternatus will go. Mewtwo, Zacian, And Zamazenta all line up with Mewtwo in the middle. A couple of other Pokémon (both Ash and Go’s among other trainers), a few more Legendary ally Pokémon, and all of the Champions from each region minus Iris and Blue as they were never Champions in the anime stand behind the main three Pokémon. Each of the Galar Gym Leaders plus Marnie, Bede, and Hop are also there and they all have roles that their Pokémon fulfill in the battle. Opal has G-Max Alcremie use Finale to help heal any injured Pokémon, Mr. Mime, Mega Gardevoir, And other Psychic Pokemon are using Reflect and Light Screen to form a defensive barrier, Mega Metagross And Garchomp are in the forefront of the battle, Volcarona is mainly used to help power up Fire Pokémon and to make sure any Solar Beams And other attacks reliant on sunny weather are able to be used without any drawbacks while using Quiver Dance and Fiery Dance In the process, and Dragonite uses its Speed as a distraction. At some point the Swords of Justice arrive and join the battle with Keldeo and Virizion using speed as a distraction as well while Terrakion uses its body to take hits to protect the defending Pokémon while Colballion heads on into battle given its immunity to
Poison attacks and resistance to Dragon moves. Eventually Eternatus transforms into its Eternamax form and is giving off strong pulsation of energy that is causing strange things to occur and all looks lost when Palkia and Dialga suddenly appear from portals as Eternamax Eternatus is creating a hole in reality and the other two Dragons are here to prevent the universe from being destroyed. Dialga uses its powers to rewind time as a way to fight back against Eternal Beam and disable its damage while Palkia uses Spacial Rend to both damage and confuse Eternatus. Mewtwo then jumps up and is heading towards Eternatus while charging up a Psystrike which is another distraction that both Zacian and Zamenta use to strike with their signature moves. Eventually Eternatus exhausts itself and is finally defeated.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

Red and Blue

Maybe Mewtwo won’t be caught but still be an ally Legendary for the big conflict for this series which is the Darkest Day. Mewtwo does have a type advantage against Eternatus’ Poison typing and it can heal itself easily with Recover so it won’t fall that easily. Plus seeing Mewtwo helping out Zacian and Zamagenta would be neat to see.
Episode 46 isn't listed as Sword and Shield part V though. The Darkest Day subplot will likely be resolved before Mewtwo's debut

Leonhart

Imagineer
Eddieursa said:
If that's so, why it took 2 decades (20 years) for them to finally introduce Mewtwo in the anime? And what's the point after so many years if he's not to have a significant role?

There's no guarantee that it's the original Mewtwo if that's what you're implying: I think we should at least wait until the episode gets an actual summary. As for why they're having the species appear in the anime again after so long, I think it has to do with the writers trying to promote every Pokemon that they can in this series. By the end of it, I expect that every single non-banned Pokemon will make an appearance.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
There's no guarantee that it's the original Mewtwo if that's what you're implying: I think we should at least wait until the episode gets an actual summary. As for why they're having the species appear in the anime again after so long, I think it has to do with the writers trying to promote every Pokemon that they can in this series. By the end of it, I expect that every single non-banned Pokemon will make an appearance.
Pity that we’re prob gonna see every single mon that exists up to this point at least once, focus ep or background filler. Except for the fking Porygon Line. How pitiful.

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
1. Goh got a Hitmonchan from the Saffron Dojo.
2. Ash got a Riolu Egg (just like in Sinnoh).
3. ... There's a tower being constructed in Vermillion, which was a thing in the RB-games? o_O;)
These are not loose plot threads because the anime isn't supposed to be a 1:1 recreation of the games. These are just bits from the games they're using now. And if anything, the Saffron Dojo example is terrible since it basically ignores that said Dojo already appeared in AG, but I guess we are meant to believe it's a second one or that the characters that were in the original just left with no explanation.

Loose plot threads could be the GS Ball, the Malamar stuff... Even the Battle Chateau, I guess.

ShadowForce720

These are not loose plot threads because the anime isn't supposed to be a 1:1 recreation of the games. These are just bits from the games they're using now. And if anything, the Saffron Dojo example is terrible since it basically ignores that said Dojo already appeared in AG, but I guess we are meant to believe it's a second one or that the characters that were in the original just left with no explanation.

Loose plot threads could be the GS Ball, the Malamar stuff... Even the Battle Chateau, I guess.

There is one loose plot thread that is pretty likely going to be resolved during this series and that is the whole thing with Lillie and Gladion finally finding their father Mohn.

Lacuna

Goodnight
Pretty much everyone has already said what I was thinking. I agree that they'd have made a much bigger deal about this beforehand if it wasn't just a one-off. I mean, it's sandwiched between an unrelated arc and a silly filler... The only real reason for it returning is, unfortunately, probably just the nostalgia fake-hype card they've been pulling a lot lately. I'm still looking forward to this episode (I guess it worked on me lol), but my expectations are low.

Also how can we really discuss this when we literally don't even have a blurb for the episode yet? It's kinda early for something like this, isn't it??

Leonhart

Imagineer
Lacuna said:
The only real reason for it returning is, unfortunately, probably just the nostalgia fake-hype card they've been pulling a lot lately. I'm still looking forward to this episode (I guess it worked on me lol), but my expectations are low.

I think it might also be tying into Gou's goal of catching Mew since Mewtwo is a clone of it, and Gou meeting Mewtwo could potentially serve as further motivation for his goal. Or at least I hope that's part of it: I don't want just more nostalgia bait.

D

Deleted member 384931

I think it might also be tying into Gou's goal of catching Mew since Mewtwo is a clone of it, and Gou meeting Mewtwo could potentially serve as further motivation for his goal. Or at least I hope that's part of it: I don't want just more nostalgia bait.
It is just the beginning I am afraid

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Here is how I think the big showdown against Eternatus will go. Mewtwo, Zacian, And Zamazenta all line up with Mewtwo in the middle. A couple of other Pokémon (both Ash and Go’s among other trainers), a few more Legendary ally Pokémon, and all of the Champions from each region minus Iris and Blue as they were never Champions in the anime stand behind the main three Pokémon. Each of the Galar Gym Leaders plus Marnie, Bede, and Hop are also there and they all have roles that their Pokémon fulfill in the battle. Opal has G-Max Alcremie use Finale to help heal any injured Pokémon, Mr. Mime, Mega Gardevoir, And other Psychic Pokemon are using Reflect and Light Screen to form a defensive barrier, Mega Metagross And Garchomp are in the forefront of the battle, Volcarona is mainly used to help power up Fire Pokémon and to make sure any Solar Beams And other attacks reliant on sunny weather are able to be used without any drawbacks while using Quiver Dance and Fiery Dance In the process, and Dragonite uses its Speed as a distraction. At some point the Swords of Justice arrive and join the battle with Keldeo and Virizion using speed as a distraction as well while Terrakion uses its body to take hits to protect the defending Pokémon while Colballion heads on into battle given its immunity to
Poison attacks and resistance to Dragon moves. Eventually Eternatus transforms into its Eternamax form and is giving off strong pulsation of energy that is causing strange things to occur and all looks lost when Palkia and Dialga suddenly appear from portals as Eternamax Eternatus is creating a hole in reality and the other two Dragons are here to prevent the universe from being destroyed. Dialga uses its powers to rewind time as a way to fight back against Eternal Beam and disable its damage while Palkia uses Spacial Rend to both damage and confuse Eternatus. Mewtwo then jumps up and is heading towards Eternatus while charging up a Psystrike which is another distraction that both Zacian and Zamenta use to strike with their signature moves. Eventually Eternatus exhausts itself and is finally defeated.

Needs more Hoopa.

Hi! I'm just listing the 'reasons' the OP mentioned that were supposed to signify that Journeys is resolving 'every unused plot' from the games. In no way to do I actually think that these actually signify anything significant - and using a minor game detail like receiving a gift pokémon and then going to 'They'll do Rainbow Rocket for sure!' is just so over the top. Sure, they might.. But I don't think any of the reasons that the OP mentioned (and I jokingly reiterated, while adding a lame 3rd) are indicative of that.

Also, the Malamar-stuff wouldn't be game-related.

It just might. I'm with you on this.

However, Mew is good enough on its own to tell a story (so it doesn't have to be related to Go). It's when it's a story about Mewtwo that you basically can't tell it without having to mention Mew. So that's why I'm thinking that this will be a Go episode. He's not going to catch it though. That's clear as day.

Decidueye23

I think with PoGo mechanics being a part of this series, they could very easily make a small 2 3 episode arc featuring mewtwo and the rocket admins and Giovanni too if need be. Since macro cosmos is defeated, the only antagonist this series has for now is Team Rocket.

LucasMV

I do hope it's not Mewtwo's only appearence, but I also don't see it becoming a returning character. Considering his VA it's apparently hard to get.

The other time I can see Mewtwo showing up again, it's when Go finally tries to catch Mew at the end of the series. But I guess we'll have more insight about how likely or not it is for Mewtwo to show up again later, once the episode airs.

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
It was a nice episode I guess!! Enjoyed Mewtwo in the episode and it was not disappointing since Ash remembered Mewtwo!