• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Microsoft Handheld!!!

ghost master

the kawaiist thing
Well not just a handheld but a multimedia/PC thing.

According to an article in Buisness Week (which I read) Microsoft was more than likely to create a portable which was not directly a portable Xbox, or an ipod killer, but a multimedia center. . Microsoft Gives you..... the ORIGAMI!

The sleek new Microsoft Portable. According to a video on Gamestop, it is Media holder that can hold such formats as photos, MP3's, instant messanging, internet, GPS, E-mail, and can play video games such as Halo. It even has a touch screen (DS fans, pull out your pitchforks and torches) for editing photos, and using a system similar to Pictochat.

And to connect to other people across the globe, the Oragami has built in wi-fi access. It is not clear if you can interact without wi-fi. It even has a decent-sized keyboard for typing things.

Microsoft stated that they would release more info on March 2nd.
Borrowed this description from a kid on insider. Here's a link to the original article. http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/24/microsofts-origami-project/

Last edited:

Wes

Iblis Wings
It even has a touch screen (DS fans, pull out your pitchforks and torches) for editing photos, and using a system similar to Pictochat.

....RIP OFFERS! I hate it when people copy other people's works! That just shows that they are all determined to take Nintendo's ideas for themselves!

Ohtachi

mia san mia
Wes said:
....RIP OFFERS! I hate it when people copy other people's works! That just shows that they are all determined to take Nintendo's ideas for themselves!

Which is why I sure as h*ll am not buying that portable computer even if I could afford it. :p

Last edited:

ShiningClefairy

Meteor Trainer
Looks quite a bit like a PSP fused with a tablet PC to me...

Dragonair

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Wes said:
Remember, there was a touchscreen gaming device on the market before the DS came out. None of you probably know what it is either, but it's been discontinued since like, middle o' last year.

And yeah, I also doubt its ability to play Halo.

Bulk

Meh, I think it's trying to take on too much. Taking on iPod, DS, GBA, PSP and any PDA is a bit risky. iPod own the MP3 market, Nintendo own the handheld gaming market and I can't see business men/women or my mum (who has a PDA) buying one of these. It'll probably cost loads too.

Paradox

Irate Pirate
The button congfiuration isn't really set out for playing games. I doubt it will be much more than a media specialized PDA

muckers

*yawn*
Wes said:

But it's fine when Nintendo do it with free online, analogue control, music games, 3D platformers etc. I suppose?

Nintendo claim they were firsts with all of those which is ball-cocks.

Bulk

muckers said:
But it's fine when Nintendo do it with free online, analogue control, music games, 3D platformers etc. I suppose?

Nintendo claim they were firsts with all of those which is ball-cocks.
But they were, weren't they? Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Kez

Hoenn Champion
I also thought that they were, but not the analogue. I rwcall someone saying that an earlier console had it.

I wonder what this weill be like? I mean, I hope that it is a reasonable price, cos i have been wantiong a PDA that does all of those things, bar games, for a while now.

El Cool

Nintendo had the first analouge sticks. Not sure about the others, but 3d platformer just screams Super Mario 64 at me (or Super Mario RPG even).

Dragonair

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Nintendo thought up the idea of Analog Sticks first, but Sega went on a freaky rush to get their own design of the analog stick and got it out before Nintendo did. The people at Nintendo were pretty mad about that.

Ohtachi

mia san mia
Dragonair said:
Nintendo thought up the idea of Analog Sticks first, but Sega went on a freaky rush to get their own design of the analog stick and got it out before Nintendo did. The people at Nintendo were pretty mad about that.

At least things cooled off between them so Sonic the Hedgehog could make his way onto the Nintendo Gamecube. Nintendo's ideas are always being taken by other companies for various reasons. Some don't have anything to do so much with video games, though.

Wes

Iblis Wings
Oh forget about what I said earlier. I probably won't be buying this device anyways. I just find it strange that whenever Nintendo makes something another company takes the idea. Eyetoy anyone?

kingboo30

Dynamo Trainer
I don't really remember seeing little 5 year olds dancing around infront of a Nintendo system at Wal-mart before the eye toy. It was a lame idea. Nintendo sees something, makes it popular then other companies sees this and start making some themselves.

W

Wobbuffet fan

Wes said:

I don't think Microsoft is implementing the touch screen for gameplay control like Nintendo, though. You act like Nintendo invented the first touch screen device.

Thunder Child

Dedicated Trainer
This is a next-generation Tablet PC. It'll probably be able to run some games, probably a range of PC games, but it's definately not in that market, and should not be lumped in with handheld games consoles like the GBA, DS or maybe the PSP (which kinda sits in both the Portable Media and Handheld Gaming camps).

Latios said:
1. The home game console - Magnavox Oddessy
2. The first programmable game console - Atari 2600 (Pong was... pong and only pong)
3. First Joystick - Atari 2600
4. First buttons - Magnavox Oddesy²
5. First Analogue Joystick - Atari 5200
6. First D-Pad - Nintendo Entertainment system
7. First Wireless Control - Arugably the NES. It used RF signals.
8. First "modern" controller design, which is typically dubbed the dog-bone shape - Sega Genesis
9. First optical media console - Sega CD
10. First pure optical media console - Phillips CD-i
11. First forcefeedback - Nintendo 64
12. First full 3D control - Arcade (One of Konami's games)

You left out shoulder buttons. ;_;

Silverwing

Sea Ruby Trainer
The article says a decent size keyboard. That's still pretty big. This would not be classified as a portable gaming system. Plus, with all of this stuff, it has to be expensive. Even though Microsoft is good in their business, I see this one failing in the gaming department of it.