• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Middle Cup

R4GEKILL!!!

Me So Thorny
Middle Cup was an extremely ignored metagame created on smogon in gen4. This thread was created because I WANT TO BRING IT BACK!!! Between the New Dream World abilities, and the introduction of the evolite, I think that Middle Cup could actually be a Serious competitive metagame in gen 5.

What is Middle Cup?
Middle Cup is a (currently) unofficial tier consisting of a very select range of Pokemon. It is similar to Little Cup except the stipulations are more.
The rules of Middle Cup are as follows:
All Pokemon must be Level 50
All Pokemon must have evolved from something (even if from a Baby)
All Pokemon must be able to evolve into something
THIS THREAD IS NOW ON SMOGON:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3453293
A LIST OF ALL THE CURRENT POKES ALLOWED IN MIDDLE CUP:
http://veekun.com/dex/pokemon/search?evolution_position=middle

It's worth noting that Middle Cup is a very new, birthing metagame, with still a small playerbase, so things like banlists and whatnot don't exist yet... but this is a discussion thread, so if you have any ideas, do feel free to speak up!

I think Middle Cup was laughed at because most modes of play are created from two sources.

1) Smogon tiers (OU, Ubers, UU, BL, RU, NU)
2) Nintendo tiers (VGC, LC, Battle Tower)

Middle Cup isn't really much of anything. Its a rule set, not really a tier.

I tried a Middle Cup-ish battle with a friend about half a year ago. It was fun and all, but this sounds like a crazy metagame now that you have stuff like Evolite Chansey and friends running around. At least there's no perma-weather.

R4GEKILL!!!

Me So Thorny
I think Middle Cup was laughed at because most modes of play are created from two sources.

1) Smogon tiers (OU, Ubers, UU, BL, RU, NU)
2) Nintendo tiers (VGC, LC, Battle Tower)

Middle Cup isn't really much of anything. Its a rule set, not really a tier.

True as that may be, (Battle Tower is a set of rules too), It mostly failed because there was A) a lack of a diverse metagame
B) a lack of smogon actually accepting it.
I want to popularize it in 5th gen. It would actually make sense.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
Um, sure why not I guess?

So basically you play flat rules with middle evolutions?

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
Whirlipede would be a decent staller in this tier... Ice types are very scarce so dragons might run rampage... Perhaps ban outrage.

Ruby Blue

I remember liking this idea back in 4th Gen because it was a tier where stuff like Seadra, Roselia and Piloswine could be viable.

R4GEKILL!!!

Me So Thorny
Chansey and fracture??? PLEASE. they're worthless. I'm not running either of them.
And yeah. I think it's an awesome tier.

Perhaps you are forgetting something? Speed Boost Combusken. Eviolite Chansey/Dusclops/Porygon2/Eelektrik/. These guys will be awesome. I do think that this seems to be a fun metagame though. I'd quite like to try it.

R4GEKILL!!!

Me So Thorny
The only thing that would possibly be banned is pory2, as he has an insane stat total compared to other pokes.

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
Perhaps you are forgetting something? Speed Boost Combusken. Eviolite Chansey/Dusclops/Porygon2/Eelektrik/. These guys will be awesome. I do think that this seems to be a fun metagame though. I'd quite like to try it.

This is why this thread has been created, to sort out an Uber MC and a standard MC.

R4GEKILL!!!

Me So Thorny
This is why this thread has been created, to sort out an Uber MC and a standard MC.

Pretty much. Honestly, ppl will b.itch about Chansey, but its a needed counter to Kadabra and Electabuzz. It stays no matter what.
SB Combusken... Might be a problem. But then again... We won't really know until we test out some MC battles. I'm pretty sure my MC team could stop it in it's tracks, but I can't make all the decisions myself.

PORY2. I want to ban this. Highest stat total in the tier. An awesome OU poke. There's a problem with it. I don't like it.

EVERYONE PLEASE NOMINATE THINGS YOU THINK ARE OP IN THE MC TIER.

You can't nominate / ban things you THINK are broken in a tier you never even played.

NeohopeSTF

Sol Badguy
ooh middle cup sounds fun eviolite would be on alot of the pokes though