• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mimikyu's Disguise (981)

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I'm not sure why but Lycanroc wagging its tail in the beginning reminded me of when it was a Rockruff. ;~; It's hilarious seeing the TRio just waiting to get hit by Continental Crush but it's even funnier watching Ash and Kiawe waste their Z moves on them! :p

This was a nice bonding episode for Jessie and Mimikyu... in a way, it paralleled Ash and Pikachu's first meeting. I don't know, the Murkrow reminded me of the Spearow and how they each tried to save the other. It's more comical and mysterious than emotional though. ^^; The jokes were really great in this especially the scene where James and Meowth were panicking since they knew Jessie was going to spend all their money! :p I loved seeing Wobbuffet get emotional and worried over Jessie and Mimikyu's disappearance and him just being there too late. At least he's doing something than just saying his name or standing there motionlessly in the background.

I thought this episode were really nice, I loved the Jessie+Mimikyu scenes as well as the others like the rest of the TRio finding Jessie and Mimikyu and Ash learning more about Lycanroc but I thought it was a Z move overkill. After seeing Continental Crush 3 times already in the same episode, it gets tiring and less impactful. Also, I'm really hoping that Lycanroc is still that little Rockruff we all loved since the beginning on the inside, I don't want it to devolve into a straight battle weapon. I'm relieved that they didn't show Mimikyu's True Form like they spoiled us with Rockruff's evolution in the last episode. I'm really happy to see the TRio again!!!! And Bewear too!! :D

Why? Continental Crush was used successfully only the last time.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
Oh greeeaaaat. And that'll fit in so well in this series too. You were nice while you lasted, Rockruff, enjoy the other three quarters of the series as a buzzkill.

I don't see the problem with that, the personality change trope pretty much is canon to the pokemon series that when a Pokemon evolves it will likely have a personality change.... this is one of the key reason Pikachu doesn't want to evolve.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!

Same boulder even before it breaks.

Not to mention we've seen it before from Gladion and Olivia. Boring. Give us Hydro Vortex already.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy

Not to mention we've seen it before from Gladion and Olivia. Boring. Give us Hydro Vortex already.

Yeah given that we already saw Gladion and Olivia using Continental Crush, I expected Ash using it again would be boring. This is also one of the reasons I hoped that Tapu Lele would swap the Rockium Z for something exclusive for Lycanroc.

p96822

Evolve me please
Really I wish this episode was more of an Lycanroc episode trying master the Rock Z move then Jessie and Mimikyu bonding. Just like I thought Mimikyu character is just really bland.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll

Well if you consider Gladion and Olivia, then yes, Continental Crush has been an overdose.

dman_dustin

Just like I thought Mimikyu character is just really bland.

Have to disagree, Mimikyu did show quite a bit of emotion in this episode, and you'd have to be observant to see. At one point we saw Mimikyu doing what looked like a "cold shoulder" or a "HOW COULD YOU?" moment with tears nears its eyes, and was genuinely annoyed with what Jessie was doing/saying (can't quite remember) and not in the bloodthirsty way you'd expect Mimikyu to act, or just to mind its own business like it has in the past. It was really paying attention to Jessie and was focused on the situation than in the past.

That being said the episode was primarily a bore in the sense that it felt completely unneeded. If maybe Mimikyu actually attacked Lycanroc at the end instead of Pikachu, it would've been better.

But Mimikyu is likely always going to be like this and not actually be compliant to what Jessie wants it to, just to simply nerf Mimikyu's unbelievable power, I mean I suppose that could change when Ash gets a much better more powerful team, but we couldn't even get a battling Lycanroc scene because.......Pikachu.

In that case I don't like Mimikyu, I feel like the whole jealous wanting to kill Pikachu is completely over the top just to give it a character trait. I feel like it would be better if Mimikyu was only bloodthirsty when it genuinely battled Pikachu, not just whenever wherever whatever way.

I don't really like Mimikyu, and while I can appreciate Mimikyu as a species, Jessie's Mimikyu really makes me wonder why its even popular to begin with, I mean the Mimikyu song was touching and sad, but it sure as hell doesn't apply to Jessie's Mimikyu.

But bland? I'd hardly call Jessie's Mimikyu bland.
+++++++++++++++++++++++

Not understanding the complaints on Continental crush, this is one of the very few times we've seen a Z-move fail, and with as far as I'm aware simply because the Pokemon wasn't used to such power (I assume), the only other time a Z-move failed was because of the trainer's fault that being Ash for not doing the correct pose.

And besides, I fail to see why Gladion/Olivia matter in the least since it was pretty much obvious WHY they showed off the rock type Z-move and of course with Ash having his own rock type, it was pretty obvious Ash was going to get Continental crush.

On top of that we've seen Inferno Overdrive in more episodes, so why is it that Kiawe's Z-move wasn't criticized, but somehow Ash trying to use properly use Continental crush (which we likely won't see for quite a few episodes) is the subject of criticism.

Last edited:

Sulfurian

Really didn't like that Dusk Lycanroc eyes didn't turn RED when it was attacking, even though that fact was mentioned a lot as one of its unique features.

I'm guessing we will have an episode that will focus around that. Here it's acting like playful midday. We don't know what happens at night.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
We've seen the same animation before and when it's done 3 times already in the same episode, it gets repetitive and boring. At least Kiawe doesn't show off Inferno Overdrive that much.

My complaint is that I didn't like how it showed the same Z move 3 times in the same episode, not throughout the saga. I don't mind Kiawe using Inferno Overdrive since he only used it once this episode.

Last edited:

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
We've seen the same animation before and when it's done 3 times already in the same episode, it gets repetitive and boring. At least Kiawe doesn't show off Inferno Overdrive that much.

My complaint is that I didn't like how it showed the same Z move 3 times in the same episode, not throughout the saga. I don't mind Kiawe using Inferno Overdrive since he only used it once this episode.

I also would have preferred if Kiawe used Marowak to use inferno overdrive on TRio this episode instead of turtonator. Or at least attempt., because it would have been funny to see a double fail of z-moves. They could have just said eff it after and use normal moves to blast TRio off. I want to see Marowak and Kiawe give the firium a try.

dman_dustin

We've seen the same animation before and when it's done 3 times already in the same episode, it gets repetitive and boring.

That completely contradicts the concept of training a Pokemon.

What is Ash supposed to just shrug his shoulders and say "Well better luck next time?" OR as a trainer does he keep trying to get it work until it works?

Argument is not legitimate, its complaining for the sake of complaining. (It however would be more legitimate IF it was successful every single time, but it wasn't, was it?)

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
That completely contradicts the concept of training a Pokemon.

What is Ash supposed to just shrug his shoulders and say "Well better luck next time?" OR as a trainer does he keep trying to get it work until it works?

Argument is not legitimate, its complaining for the sake of complaining. (It however would be more legitimate IF it was successful every single time, but it wasn't, was it?)
I get that but it doesn't change my feelings on seeing the exact same animation not long after watching it already. Maybe the next time I watch it, I won't be annoyed like I was the first time.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I confess, this episode wasn't quite as interesting as I was hoping it would be. I thought a bonding episode would be more emotional, and it really wasn't. At the very least, it seems Mimikyu has decided to actually listen to Jessie...as long as Pikachu isn't around.

I don't know if Mimikyu purposely tried to make sure Jessie and James wouldn't see its true form, but it clearly couldn't care less about Meowth, since it did nothing to prevent the cat from having another temporary death experience. (Also, looks like some of Meowth's boss fantasies might be returning.)

I was actually rather surprised Lycanroc's Continental Crush failed the first couple of times. I didn't quite understand everything that was being said, but it seems as though Lycanroc's inability to successfully perform Continental Crush was related to its power level or something like that. Perhaps someone who is more proficient in Japanese than I am could fill in the details here, because I am truly curious.

And speaking of Lycanroc, as what some people 'feared' (though I don't), looks like it's like most evolved Pokémon : it seems quite serious and stoic.
While Lycanroc seems a little more serious and stoic than it did as a Rockruff, I don't think it's that serious and stoic. It wagged its tail a lot, just as it did as a Rockruff, and it threw a tantrum. Really, the difference between Rockruff and Lycanroc is like the difference between a puppy and an adult dog. When Rockruff evolved, it matured a little bit, but it doesn't seem to have lost its core personality.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
lul
Kiawe's still using Turtonator. People worried about it getting shelved can relax. Disappointed it wasn't Marowak using Inferno Overdrive though, we've seen Turtonator use the move so many times. Hopefully he doesn't have to wait as long as poor Litten did just to use a z-move.

Very disappointing they didn't show Mimikyu's true form. *sigh* Another month or two of Ultra SM news drought incoming I guess. If they just revealed more than just Dusk Lycanroc I wouldn't be as upset. The game is three months away.....

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
So at the end of the day, Mimikyu didn't learn anything. Even after bonding with Jessie, it still has a problem with ignoring all other pokémon to battle Pikachu (most of the time)

Also did anyone else understand why Lycanroc had trouble mastering Continental Crush? I was upset that they learned to control the move by the end of the episode since I was hoping it would lead to a mini arc similar to when Turtwig tried to learn Energy Ball or when Greninja tried to control its new form, but maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I knew what the problem was in the first place

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Of course it's that time to practice a new Z-Move as fodder background when TR get an episode again.

Regular moves are overrated nowadays.

Lycanroc...it's not as playful as it was before. Having a tantrum was kinda cool. I do hope we see some more playfulness from it. Shaking its tail kinda suggests it's not completely serious which is good to see.

Its tail has a mind of its own. We must make something out of it because the first impression otherwise is he's a killjoy.

Really didn't like that Dusk Lycanroc eyes didn't turn RED when it was attacking, even though that fact was mentioned a lot as one of its unique features.

Wow. This anime actually forgot about using one of nature's facts on a Pokemon after relying too much on all the rest? That's weird.

Also did anyone else understand why Lycanroc had trouble mastering Continental Crush? I was upset that they learned to control the move by the end of the episode since I was hoping it would lead to a mini arc similar to when Turtwig tried to learn Energy Ball or when Greninja tried to control its new form, but maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I knew what the problem was in the first place

When this kind of thing happens, it's usually a poor excuse about "it hasn't controlled his new power upon evolving" yet, which I bet is the reason. Compared to how Rowlet did Bloom Doom easily the first time, that could be it. (The training before was less about Rowlet not being able to and more about Ash not doing the right pose until Mallow told him.)

Happens a lot to the main character. But when someone else evolves and tries out a new move, they're already adepts at it.

Last edited:

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
I would also like to say RIP Team Rocket's base. Guess Bewear tore it down as it's back to being its plain old den.
Not that I'm surprised tbph.

ShadowForce720

I would also like to say RIP Team Rocket's base. Guess Bewear tore it down as it's back to being its plain old den.
Not that I'm surprised tbph.

No not really as if you pay close attention to when their in the den you will see a ladder that looks like it could be leading down somewhere, so I think it's quite reasonable to presume that Team Rocket probably built their base underneath Bewear's den so that there taking away it's home.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
No not really as if you pay close attention to when their in the den you will see a ladder that looks like it could be leading down somewhere, so I think it's quite reasonable to presume that Team Rocket probably built their base underneath Bewear's den so that there taking away it's home.
Maybe, maybe it still exists. We'll just have to wait and see. To be fair though, the base itself has only been seen like a couple if that.
(I'm not falling into the same trap as last time)

Last edited: