• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mind Over Matter: A Mono-Psychic team

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
Just for fun, I decided to try Monotype teams of all 17 types. I've already done Steel, Poison and Water, and given my love of Reuniclus it seemed inevitable to me that Psychic be next. The first question I faced was playstyle. I ruled out Trick Room immediately (not because it's bad, but because I felt that in Monotype, it would restrict me too much, forcing me to use slower Psychics as opposed to things like Victini and the Latis). My one requirement was that Reuniclus HAD to be on this team, which wasn't hard seeing as it's great overall anyway.

[IMG200]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBxOo575e8Jkbja92vns6yvvLBIftSJwe3HGjn4Yw_Szxu0pDb[/IMG200]

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

I have been running this exact set on Reuniclus for as long as I can remember. Except in TR, where I use it as a setter. Calm Mind gathers boosts over time and Reuniclus has the monstrous bulk to stack them very easily. Calm Mind is also the reason for the EV spread. I saw no reason to invest in SpA or SpD beccause Calm Mind boosts them to phenomenal levels anyway. Recover keeps Reuniclus around and makes it a royal pain to take down. I've faced teams that literally could not stop this guy from the get-go, and not pushovers either. Teams hundreds above me on Showdown's ladder. They led wrong and after two boosts they couldn't stop me from getting 4 more. Psyshock and Focus Blast are my two attacks. I prefer Psyshock to Psychic because it punches through Special walls easily and means the pink blobs can't wall me. Not that they really could anyway, but they're less annoying now. Focus Blast hammers Dark-types that are immune to Psyshock and whatever else it hits harder really, although I hate its accuracy.

[IMG200]https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZuTyojVmA9sxasdD3EjD76skif3nbYGl8gsStZjoR6rfszg6szA[/IMG200]

Xatu @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
- Thunder Wave
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- U-Turn

This is a standard OU Xatu, but that doesn't mean for a second it's not useful. On Mono-Psychic, it also checks Bug-types reasonably well. That's pretty much essential because Psychic hates Bug, which is a major reason for going physical. Volcarona is about the only special Bug attacker in OU/Monotype that's worth a mention. Scizor, in particular, eats Heat Wave and really hates it. Xatu also outspeeds all non-Scarf Scizors' U-Turns. Thunder Wave cripples set-up sweepers and... Quite a bit really, nothing enjoys Paralysis. Heat Wave is for Scizor, Ferrothorn and Forretress, the latter two especially as Xatu not only often comes in on them, it walls them to hell and back. Forretress is forced to Volt Switch out. It's that or get roasted. Ferrothorn is in the same boat, just without Volt Switch. Xatu loves seeing them, as they mean hazards for me and a very frustrated opponent. Roost is for longevity and is just one of many reasons Xatu is better than Espeon. U-Turn is another of those reasons and gets Xatu away from Pursuit users if it catches them on the switch. Tyranitar in particular is the bane of Xatu.

[IMG200]https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrjUKxI8FCM2xTtzUecfjCYkOgGnIUjF4HSJDxDX96PCQxAhR3[/IMG200]

Victini @ Choice Band
Trait: Victory Star
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- V-Create
- Bolt Strike
- Brick Break
- U-Turn

To quote Smogon, "If you look up the word "power" in the dictionary, you will see a picture of Victini.". Smogon has spoken the truth my friends. There is nothing more powerful than Banded Victini-s V-Create. Darmanitan's Flare Blitz would be if it were Banded, but Darmanitan is usually Scarfed and besides, the recoil is killer. And Darmanitan isn't Psychic unless it's Zen Mode which I'm pretty sure does not count. And does not have that monster Flare Blitz. Anyway, coverage-wise Victini also packs Bolt Strike, another staggeringly-powerful move whose accuracy is boosted by Victory Star. Brick Break ruins Dark-types, especially Tyranitar. U-Turn is there mainly because of the Choice item but it's certainly a good move.

[IMG200]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4x5-aT4zJgb-RHIxUgaXbOf-sl2V6TDzl4tYcl4AKlGvBA0ws[/IMG200]

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
- Scald
- Flamethrower
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Slowbro is a tank. It has great Def, Regenerator AND Slack Off with Scald for potential Burnhax as well. I came across it while flicking through a list of Psychic types that could funtion as physically-defensive supporters and Slowbro fit perfectly. Scald is also my main STAB, I use it against quite a bit. Flamethrower torches Bug-types, that's pretty much its job, and it does that very well. Thunder Wave exists here for the same reason Xatu has it: crippling things. Slack Off, finally, is for recovery. I use Slowbro because Xatu isn't something I want taking too many hits regardless of how bulky it is. Slowbro's far bulkier and takes those physical hits, Paralyzing things in return. It also gets considerably better coverage.

[IMG200]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxmk587kmNyJkR-5DAIFVz5Q76B7GDiZxUaVK7w-lTsziTnts6[/IMG200]

Latias @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute

This set is pretty similar to Reuniclus, but it serves a different purpose entirely. Reuniclus is meant to be a bulky attacker, while Latias is primarily Specially-defensive. With Base 130 SpD, I wasn't really sure anyone could do the job better. The set is, again, pretty standard but it's very effective. Recover is there to prolong Latias's life which is always fantastic. Calm Mind is my boosting move and it sees quite a bit of use. I'm mainly concerned with the SpD boost, but Dragon Pulse greatly appreciates the SpA as well. Dragon Pulse is nearly unresisted (only Steels), which is why it's run over Psychic. Substitute is used in the last slot because Latias is playing a very defensive role here. Sub gets her around status, Leech Seed and Taunt, which is always very nice on a Pokemon like this one.

[img200]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMQcGxR-6uIwCOnRLILO1j6C3DGSxVD8GvVXnJhpbffXa0BGlkVA[/img200]

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- Trick

Meloetta was decent but I was given two suggestions that were far better in Azelf and Jirachi. Both function as great revenge killers when Scarfed, but I chose Jirachi for a few reasons - Its secondary Steel type gives it plenty of useful resistances and an immunity to Toxic and it's physical. I wanted a physical set because I already have two Specially-inclined attackers in Reuniclus and Latias (though Reuniclus can be considered mixed because of Psyshock), while my only pure Physical attacker was Banded Victini which is both weak to Rocks and has to switch constantly. In the event that Rocks DO go up, I have no way around them and Victini is essentially dead weight at that point, but Rachi adds a useful resistance to Stealth Rock. As far as the moveset goes, Iron Head is STAB and has a 60% Flinch rate, which is great coupled with a Scarf. Fire Punch handles Bug-types and Ice Punch is for Dragons and Psychics. To deal with Darks and Ghosts, Jirachi Tricks or abuses Iron Head for hax. I figure if Parahax can screw me 80% of the time on Showdown at a 25% rate 60% Flinch should happen very very often.

Thank you to Divine Retribution and Soul_Fly for the Azelf and Jirachi suggestions!

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Hmm... Does Meloetta really pull her weight for you? She didn't for me. Can I recommend my mascot, Azelf?

Azelf @ Choice Scarf
Modest - Levitate
252 Speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 HP
-Psyshock
-Flamethrower
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball / U-Turn

A 4th gen staple, Scarfed Azelf's revengekilling prowess is matched only by Genesect.

Soul_Fly

That is some excellent synergy for a monotype team. Which is very rare to come across.

Monodragon may be a problem, but from what I've heard there are certain restrictions between choosing Dnite, Salamence, Garchomp and Kyurem-B so you are not completely out of water here. I recommend putting an ice move somewhere, (also checks Mono flying, which is a general nuisance with Salamence, Landorus/Tornadus, and Gliscor running around)

And I also agree with the above rate. Meleotta doesn't really pull her weight (though she looks somewhat sexy in that pic. xD)
Azelf is good. Provides a nice U-turn combo with Xatu.

But then another excellent replacement. JIRACHI!
It provides excellent Defensive synergy to the team and also allows you to check the bugs and also you can counter those annoying mono dark teams. Also having a steel around is valuable to any team, especially with the boon of being able to tank outrages and counter rain teams.

You can go for both the bulky paraflinch set or the Trick-Scarf set for revenge-killing and crippling walls/status spreaders. I would recommend the latter seeing that you have enough bulk on your team already to begin with.
The set below is one I've found very effective for dealing with a wide variety of threats.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Nature: Adamant/Jolly (Jolly recommended)
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- Trick​

Last edited:

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
Meloetta isn't bad, although I can see both Azelf and Jirachi doing a lot better there. I'll test both (although I'll have to do it in OU as I have no access to PO until the 31st and Showdown doesn't have Monotype) and make the changes at some later point today. Thanks for the suggestions guys!