• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Misc I am making a video game

Shouting at the Morning Sun

An Overwhelming Surplus of Diggity
@ChaosBlizzard

Are you comic book guy irl? All I'm reading here is "Worst. Game. Ever."

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
@ChaosBlizzard

Are you comic book guy irl? All I'm reading here is "Worst. Game. Ever."
Then let me refer you to where I said:

First of all: looks cool.
I'm saying absolutely nothing negative about the game itself either, mind you. I'm just asking about your method, that's all.

Bite my goddamn head off for trying to relate to the guy, that's cool too. He's obviously made something good; I've just been wondering if he's interested in making something even better. Keep intentionally misinterpreting what I'm saying and choosing to glaze over what you don't understand though; that makes you seem really cool.

Shouting at the Morning Sun

An Overwhelming Surplus of Diggity
Then let me refer you to where I said:

Bite my goddamn head off for trying to relate to the guy, that's cool too. He's obviously made something good; I've just been wondering if he's interested in making something even better. Keep intentionally misinterpreting what I'm saying and choosing to glaze over what you don't understand though; that makes you seem really cool.

Glad it makes me seem cool; It's a waste to be something and not look like it, too.

Abstinence Pistols

Someone with the drive that he obviously has clearly must have at least some interest and skill for what he's doing. Why not take that drive and learn how real games are made so you can make something even better?
Because he's already made an incredible game that lives up to his expectations and better, if I was in his place I would consider it a waste of time to rewrite it in a different language when it's already great.
sorry but this analogy made me lmao. a better one would be "if I can make fancy spaghetti with tomatoes that are cheaper than premium yet it still tastes the same, I shouldn't because it's not sophisticated".
Exactly.
That's the point though, they don't "taste the same," to use your analogy. That's the whole reason why professional titles are programmed in languages like C++ instead of higher level languages; you have more control over memory. It isn't about "professionalism" and it isn't about being "sophisticated." You are intentionally skewing what I'm saying to prove a point. You can create better games if you have more control over memory. Can you honestly say a game like Skyrim or Mass Effect could have been made with something that handles memory for you?
No, because they are hugely detailed 3D games with enormous worlds that require high-end graphics cards to run. I have literally the worst computer on the market for gaming (Intel HD 3000 13 inch MacBook Pro), and I can run it perfectly. It's not a hugely detailed game, it doesn't need anything else.
Lol. I have absolutely no inclination to take you seriously after this statement, "son." I believe absolutely nothing you claim about yourself.
He hasn't really claimed anything about himself except that he's from Canada, so I don't really know what you mean here. Thanks for the statement, though, I guess..?
You said these words exactly:
Oh... that's a little disappointing. You said you spent 4 years on this?
That sounds extremely arrogant and to me it seems that you think he should have been able to make it faster. If that's not what you meant, then by all means feel free to reword your statement because as it is I see nothing positive there.

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
Because he's already made an incredible game that lives up to his expectations and better, if I was in his place I would consider it a waste of time to rewrite it in a different language when it's already great.
Show me where I used the word "rewrite." I never said he should rewrite his existing game; you are putting words in my mouth and intentionally misinterpreting what I'm saying. I would assume no one would spend 4 years on a project like this and then walk away and never do something like it again. I would be surprised if he never makes another game after this again, and typically one does not aspire for their next project to be worse than their last.

No, because they are hugely detailed 3D games with enormous worlds that require high-end graphics cards to run. I have literally the worst computer on the market for gaming (Intel HD 3000 13 inch MacBook Pro), and I can run it perfectly. It's not a hugely detailed game, it doesn't need anything else.
If you're going to spend 4 years on a project like this, surely your ultimate aspirations must be to work on a professional title like that, no?

You said these words exactly:

That sounds extremely arrogant and to me it seems that you think he should have been able to make it faster. If that's not what you meant, then by all means feel free to reword your statement because as it is I see nothing positive there.
Alright, I will.

OP, you claim this project was in development for 4 years. That is an extraordinary amount of time to spend on something like this, and the fruits of your labor are evident. You clearly have a great deal of passion, interest and skill for game development, as is evident by your game that I have done nothing but praise from the get-go. Given these things, have you ever considered learning how things are really working under the hood so you can make even better games after this one wraps? With everything you have obviously got and a bit more effort, you could potentially start making real, marketable games in the industry.

Sugarcoated enough?

Spock

Live Long & Prosper
No I don't really want to make 3D games thanks. The entire idea of my games is that they're homages to the 90s. That's what I'm good at and that's what I like. Homage.

Abstinence Pistols

Show me where I used the word "rewrite." I never said he should rewrite his existing game; you are putting words in my mouth and intentionally misinterpreting what I'm saying. I would assume no one would spend 4 years on a project like this and then walk away and never do something like it again. I would be surprised if he never makes another game after this again, and typically one does not aspire for their next project to be worse than their last.
Of course. But the way you said "real computer science" implied that his current game wasn't good enough.

If you're going to spend 4 years on a project like this, surely your ultimate aspirations must be to work on a professional title like that, no?
Same as above.

OP, you claim this project was in development for 4 years. That is an extraordinary amount of time to spend on something like this, and the fruits of your labor are evident. You clearly have a great deal of passion, interest and skill for game development, as is evident by your game that I have done nothing but praise from the get-go. Given these things, have you ever considered learning how things are really working under the hood so you can make even better games after this one wraps? With everything you have obviously got and a bit more effort, you could potentially start making real, marketable games in the industry.

Sugarcoated enough?
That was a much better way to put it, but calling it "sugarcoated" kind of ruins the point.
Fine. You have a cool looking game. Sorry for asking about your method. Didn't realize that was such a cardinal sin.
It's not really that you asked about his method, the way that you worded it made it sound like he should have been able to do it faster and because he used a pre-built tool to make it that makes it inferior. Regardless of what you might think of his game in reality, you could have worded that a whole lot better.

Kurloz Makara

Red Death
This game looks pretty cool, Korusan. I might try it out when I have enough time. :3

Archaic

rawr!
Nice! Looks great! It's really hard to make a video game... from personal experience. I was trying to make a game called SeaBlue to match with FireRed and LeafGreen but I failed horriblly. xD

Spock

Live Long & Prosper
thanks for all the super comments...don't forget to 'subscribe'...link is in my signature.

Spock

Live Long & Prosper
oBtpz.jpg

large scale poster, print these off and adorn your college campuses and downtown with them as part of our viral marketing campaign...post a picture of your poster in public on our Facebook page to be entered in a draw for a special prize...