• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Miscellenous Face-Offs?

O Fortuna

Velut luna.
SapphireDewgong said:
We don't want rid of them because we don't like them, sugarplum. We want rid of them because they require little to no effort and are, collectively, spam.

It's not that hard to comprehend.

However, it seems to be very hard for any moderators to comprehend the idea of the Games forum being just as spammy as the face-offs. I have no problem with the games but they are just as much SPAM as the face-offs. Can nobody explain to me how threads such as "Throw and object at the user above you" or "How off-topic can you go?" or "Post a lie about the above poster" require any more thought or effort than the face-offs?

Esperante said:
face offs are just "I vote for _____" where's the effort? There's none at all. Its 10 or less word posts to see who wins a contest with no prize.

Well, compare a face-off to some of the games and I can point out how at least the face-offs are providing a contest of sorts rather than just being something created to solely incite idiocy.

Himiko said:
Like I already stated, Face-offs are just a different kind of poll so they're not really needed because we have a pokepolls section.

Well, the face-offs were originally in the Pokepolls section but they were given their own separate subforum due to the complaints some people had about there being more face-offs than everything.

Games are different. They're not like polls or anything so if we got rid of that section then we wouldn't have a place to put things like them.

True, there isn't really another place for the games forum to go. However, do we really need a place for them? I mean, if you want to remove the face-offs due to their very notable SPAM levels then games also fall under the category and should be done away with also.

And the games section is way more popular than the face-offs.

That is also true but look at the calibre of threads in either section. OK, face-offs are not exactly in the high-intellect zone but at least they are related to the forums in the sense they are about Pokemon just like the rest of the forums whereas most, if not all of the games are totally unrelated and completely out of place on these forums.

I myself am not an advocate for the abolition of the games forum. I don't visit the games forum and it has no effect on me whatsoever. However, I don't see why we should have to sit back and endure the high level of hypocrisy in this thread. You can't have it both ways. You want the face-offs gone due to the fact they are SPAM but don't want to remove the games forum even though the same argument can be even more heavily applied to them. The only fair options are to either:

- delete both the Games forum and the Face-Offs subforum
- move the face-offs subforum from the General Pokemon Discussion forum to the Games forum

I think the latter is the most sensible. I mean, the former is awfully radical whereas the second will most likely shut everyone up. Which, on these forums would be quite an achievement!

Kinopio said:
You want the face-offs gone due to the fact they are SPAM but don't want to remove the games forum even though the same argument can be even more heavily applied to them.
May I ask who you were talking to here? Because you said it a little bit after quoting me and I can't tell if you were saying it to me, the other people in this thread, or both. if I was the one you were talking to then it doesn't apply to me because I didn't say I wanted them gone for that reason.

Komedic Konservationist

N00b in the dungeon!
Esperante said:
That is completely illogical. People put work into RPGs, Fan art, and fanfiction. On the other hand, face offs are just "I vote for _____" where's the effort? There's none at all. Its 10 or less word posts to see who wins a contest with no prize.

Don't start mixing things that have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
These things are all based around one principal, and that is FUN. Some people do find the simplicity of face-offs fun. It's just a basic, no-nonsence game were yoou can dive in and stroll about when you're bored.
You know what, you are targeting face-offs the same way in which soccer mums target Pokemon for extremly silly reasons. If face-offs are boring for you, stay away form them, and don't get involved. It's as simple as that. Leave face-offs to people who care; it's not as if they get in the way or anything. If they were just floating around the Pokepolls and kept on popping up, then it would be more understandable.
If you ban face-offs, many people will be extremly unhappy and it will cause more upset than the face-offs did. Show some consideration for what other people want. Let's look at this logically; if face-offs are deleted, people who enjoy them will be extremly upset, and people who don't enjoy them just won't give a damn. If they stay, people who enjoy them will be happy and people who don't approve of them can just let them be and get along with there lives. It's as simple as that. In other words; DON'T BAN FACE-OFFS. PEOPLE ENJOY THEM. THE END.

Last edited:

Shigaiko

apocalypse please
You're all talking in a futuristic perspective. For now, the face-offs forum is still in place, and I can't see any reason why other types of face-offs shouldn't be considered.

Maybe limiting it to anime/manga/games would be suggestable?

I think that the face-offs section is okay. It should not be banned. I am stuck for time at the moment and I cannot post in the RMT forums anymore because they take to long usually. However, I can always go too the face-offs section occasionally and post in a few face-offs. They are fun and if they went I would not be on these forums anywhere near as often. Face-offs are a good way of realizing who other members like and who I like. I have discovered that many members like certain Pokemon who I always thought are disliked by everyone. It is also nice to see a certain Pokemon win a face-off that has been going on for 1 year and it is great to think 'If I had not posted in that face-off in September, Meganium would not have reached the finals'. The forums are fun for me. Please let them stay. I can understand no member face-offs but the other face-offs are fine in my eyes and they should not be a problem for anyone else.

A

Akilah Imani

*flies in* PSYCHO TO THE RESCUE!

This thread isn't about whether or not face-offs should be banned. It was made with the sole-purpose of suggesting a 'Miscellaneous Face-offs' section, which has undoubtly received a 'No' from both ends. Anything further is just a load of useless wining and bickering -_-
These things are all based around one principal, and that is FUN. Some people do find the simplicity of face-offs fun. It's just a basic, no-nonsence game were yoou can dive in and stroll about when you're bored.
You know what, you are targeting face-offs the same way in which soccer mums target Pokemon for extremly silly reasons. If face-offs are boring for you, stay away form them, and don't get involved. It's as simple as that. Leave face-offs to people who care; it's not as if they get in the way or anything. If they were just floating around the Pokepolls and kept on popping up, then it would be more understandable.
If you ban face-offs, many people will be extremly unhappy and it will cause more upset than the face-offs did. Show some consideration for what other people want. Let's look at this logically; if face-offs are deleted, people who enjoy them will be extremly upset, and people who don't enjoy them just won't give a damn. If they stay, people who enjoy them will be happy and people who don't approve of them can just let them be and get along with there lives. It's as simple as that. In other words; DON'T BAN FACE-OFFS. PEOPLE ENJOY THEM. THE END.
You completely misunderstood what Esperante meant. He wasn't saying ban them, he was saying that you should not compare them to RPGs, fanfiction, and fanart because they are unmitigatedly different. More work is put into them alone than there is a in face-off between -insert whatever here-. It is entirely incongruous to compare a 'face-off' to something of such caliber as an RPG or fanfic.

Really, it doesn't matter. The forums aren't going to die just because there aren't any 'Miscellaneous Face-offs'. Sure its a suggestion, something that can be taken into consideration, but all of this isn't exactly needed. Face-offs aren't truly worth making such ado over, as there are more important things that could be attented to >_>

Just leave things the way they are and whatever happens will happen :/

Psycho

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaiserin

please wake up...
Kinopio said:
However, it seems to be very hard for any moderators to comprehend the idea of the Games forum being just as spammy as the face-offs. I have no problem with the games but they are just as much SPAM as the face-offs. Can nobody explain to me how threads such as "Throw and object at the user above you" or "How off-topic can you go?" or "Post a lie about the above poster" require any more thought or effort than the face-offs?

Actually, I'm all for games being gone, as I think they're spam and somewhat stupid as well. Though, I haven't really said anything about it up till now.

EDIT:

You're all talking in a futuristic perspective. For now, the face-offs forum is still in place, and I can't see any reason why other types of face-offs shouldn't be considered.

Maybe limiting it to anime/manga/games would be suggestable?

You obviously haven't been reading the thread, then.

Last edited:

Locke Yggdrasill

Eustis on reddit
Meh. I read the thread. No comment. But I have a proposal.
What about a triannual member faceoff, that would be placed in Misc.? Since it's kind of obvious that we won't ever see the member face off in Faceoffs ever again, but due to it's popularity, shouldn't it be ressurected?

O Fortuna

Velut luna.
Himiko said:
O Fortuna said:
You want the face-offs gone due to the fact they are SPAM but don't want to remove the games forum even though the same argument can be even more heavily applied to them.

May I ask who you were talking to here? Because you said it a little bit after quoting me and I can't tell if you were saying it to me, the other people in this thread, or both. if I was the one you were talking to then it doesn't apply to me because I didn't say I wanted them gone for that reason.

Sorry for that. I probably should have spaced that a little better. The paragraph directly below the quote is a respons to what your quote says and the rest beneath that is a general statement to all.

SapphireDewgong said:
Actually, I'm all for games being gone, as I think they're spam and somewhat stupid as well. Though, I haven't really said anything about it up till now.

That's good to hear. As I've said, I have no desire to see the face-offs stay or go. I am rather ambivalent towards them. As I've said before, I just think it should be fair rather than removing one problem and leaving an extremely similar one there but I'm glad to see at least two of you think that way rather than just seeing the world through Serebii's eyes as some mods seem to.

Last edited:

Volteon

Back I guess??
I wouldn´t like the misc. face-offs, it´d be pointless and I´m almost sure that it won´t work as well than the poké face-offs...
no again for the "extinction" of the face-offs section, it´s fun and I finally found something that I can do everyday here.
but the games section... it IS pointless, the only good thing there, is the caption contest, it increases creativity and we win something for the sig. (don´t look my sig)