1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Misconceptions about Pokemon

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by shoz999, Jul 5, 2019.

1. shoz999

shoz999 IT WAS ME! SETETH!

Discuss about the misconceptions of Pokemon. I'll start with something I found quite interesting, A misconception of Dialga and Palkia's relationship that Bulbapedia intentionally or unintentionally help popularize.

[​IMG]

Okay. So I think we can all undoubtedly agree that Palkia and Dialga's relationship is one of an aggressive violent rivalry right? Especially in the main series games made by GameFreak themselves? That's what it says on the Bulbapedia's biology page of Palkia and Dialga where it describes them of having violent conflicts with each other's counterparts. However what it doesn't tell you is where it got that information from. See, if your like me, you ventured to all kinds of works of Pokemon including one such medium, Pokemon Adventures. Pokemon Adventures is known for being more faithful to the games so it must establish Palkia and Dialga's relationship as some sort of rivalry right? Nope. It turns everything the common Pokemon fan thought they knew about Palkia & Dialga on their heads, going out of it's way to say that Palkia and Dialga never had a rivalry to begin with, that they don't wish to fight each other because that would disrupt the space-time continuum, the very thing that Palkia & Dialga governs and protect. The manga reminds you that they are not the violent Groudon & Kyogre who lust for battle and honestly if you think about it, the fact that Palkia and Dialga want to protect the space-time continuum, not disrupt it out of petty violent struggles for dominance... that actually makes too much sense. In fact it's even shown in what little of GameFreak's artwork exists featuring Palkia & Dialga together, the two dragons are usually portrayed as standing side-by-side together like allies. However what's a more interesting question that comes to mind once you put the book down is that, "Wait a minute? Has Dialga and Palkia's rivalry ever been shown in the games at all?"

It's here that you start to doubt an undoubted "truth" that Bulbapedia supports and when you explore the main series games, there's actually nothing really that supports this. For me personally, I've came to two conclusions as to why Bulbapedia reached this conclusion about Palkia & Dialga's relationship. Maybe somewhere in the main series games, Bulbapedia did genuinely found evidence to support this but it's just hard to find or more likely, this was based on the more popular anime interpretation of Dialga and Palkia's rivalry at the time and they simply forgot to say that this is the anime's depiction, leading to unintentionally misinforming the Pokemon fans who may came across this "fact". Although one could argue that there's not much evidence to support that Palkia and Dialga have a friendly relationship and this alone is heavily based on the manga interpretation, we should also acknowledge that there is quite possibly not a single bit of evidence, not even a hint or a sign of it, of Palkia and Dialga having an aggressive relationship to each other that causes violent disputes in the main series games. With that being said, even Bulbapedia, one of the most trusted and reliable sources, perhaps even more reliable than Serebii.net, has it's hidden pieces of misinformation that most fans may gloss over.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    R0shan and wolf jani like this.
  2. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Daikuro, Keeper Of The Gates Ambitious

Don't their entries specifically state they avoid each other because they could wreck the world by accident if they fought?

shoz999 and wolf jani like this.
  3. R0shan

R0shan Arcaknight

It's not "Rat-a-tat", but

MockingJ, shoz999 and wolf jani like this.
  4. Cometstarlight

Cometstarlight What do I do now?

Should we talk about the Rise of Darkrai? I think we should talk about the Rise of Darkrai since in the beginning of that movie Palkia and Dialga start to try and murder each other because one accidentally stumbles into the other's territory.

MockingJ, shoz999 and wolf jani like this.
  5. shoz999

I don't recall that ever happening but I do recall in the games that featured bits of lore in text and it does mention that Dialga & Palkia both sought to create the world together.

The two beings wished, and from them, matter came to be.

That's what I mean by the popular anime portrayal, the Rise of Darkrai which I honestly think is one of the better Pokemon movies. I especially like how it ends.

AgentKallus likes this.
  6. Mega Ampharos the Dragon

Mega Ampharos the Dragon Electric type Enthusiast

Some misconceptions I keep hearing is that people only think it's a card game and nothing else. Especially if all they really mention about it is the "Charizard EX".

Firefo×Fennekin and shoz999 like this.
  7. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member

One misconception I have noticed is that some sources detailing the anime mention Haunter being owned by Ash when he faced Sabrina the second time. Haunter never belonged to Ash because he never used a Pokeball to catch it. Haunter just followed Ash because it wanted to have more fun with him.

wolf jani and shoz999 like this.
  8. Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Pikachu Fan Number Nine Don't Mess wit Texas

One misconception that has bothered me a lot is that some people consider Pokemon to be just for kids.

That is one of the most blatant untruths I have ever heard. There are so many teenage and adult fans of the series that they probably outnumber the number of fans in the intended demographic by a large margin. And many adult fans do in fact start their involvement with the franchise as children and remain with it well into adulthood.

9. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

They definitely do not. The adult fans are just louder about it and more intent on making sure their braying is heard.

Pokémon certainly isn't "just" for kids but it's definitely aimed at them, chiefly and always. I'd suggest the notion that this isn't the case is, puzzlingly, one of the great enduring misconceptions on the part of some.

Orphalesion, wolf jani and shoz999 like this.
  10. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

What Wurmple evolves into isn't random. It's based off personality values. Granted, you can't exactly determine them but it is not technically random.

11. Satoshi & Touko

Satoshi & Touko 62 Days Until SwSh!!! :D

Sorry. I still won't believe that the majority of those actually buying the mainline games are actually kids until I see proof.

Side note (to be fair): I do admittedly acknowledge that there is also still no proof that teens and adults are this majority.

shoz999 likes this.
  12. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

It was never said by anyone working on the series that it will end if Ash won a league.

shoz999 likes this.
  13. shoz999

Not quite sure about that. I'm going to have to fact-check that statement because I could've sworn I saw someone on the staff quote that the series would end if Ash won a league long ago.

14. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

It was actually him saying that the series will end if Ash became a Pokemon Master, but that was twisted by translations into saying that the series would end if Ash won a league. Also, winning a League doesn't automatically make you a Pokemon Master.

15. shoz999

I see. Who was the person who quoted that?