• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Misconceptions about Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Yeah, the dub did censor the dialogue, and to this day there are a lot of people that aren't even aware that Butterfree presumably died after mating.
No that was in dub but in Japanese takes Takeshi didn't really say that or something similar to that nature.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
No that was in dub but in Japanese takes Takeshi didn't really say that or something similar to that nature.

I don't remember them saying that Butterfree died after mating. I remember them saying they 'mated for life'. Then again the games state that they die after mating. So that should be a tipoff to people that things are not as they seem.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I don't remember them saying that Butterfree died after mating. I remember them saying they 'mated for life'. Then again the games state that they die after mating. So that should be a tipoff to people that things are not as they seem.
Where in the games do they state that Butterfree die after mating?

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
People thinking the threat by Ghetsis in BW2 was censored from him trying to kill you to trying to freeze you in the English release. In reality the threat was the same in the original Japanese. Of course, the animation makes this an easy misconception

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Sorry. I still won't believe that the majority of those actually buying the mainline games are actually kids until I see proof.

Side note (to be fair): I do admittedly acknowledge that there is also still no proof that teens and adults are this majority.
The vast majority BUYING the games are parents and grandparents for their kids and grandkids. Playing is dominated by younger kids. It's only in competitive where teens and adults stand out.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Nowhere, actually. It isn't stated in any of its Pokedex entries.

Yeah, you're right. It was never in the games. Why in the world did I think it was in the games (possibly the Mandela effect, but I'd put my money on Rick from Rick and Morty)?

Word. Count me in as one of those fans.

Yeah, the whole 'Pokémon being for kids' thing is probably the most well known misconception. Many competitive players are in fact older teenagers and adults. I'm not a competitive player, but I am indeed an adult.

TwilightBlade

I had a misconception about Ralts's design when I was younger. I thought that the dark parts on the stripes on Ralts's head in its frontal RSE sprite were eyes until I realised that Ralts's eyes are actually covered by that green cap-like thing.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
A lot of people seem to think Poison is the only type without a Legendary (Assuming you're one who thinks Ultra Beasts aren't Legendary). This is actually not true; there's no Bug type Legendaries either. Now I know what people are gonna say "But what about Genesect?". Genesect is a Mythical Pokemon, not a Legendary (Mythical Pokemon don't count as Legendary from "official" sources).

Ohshi

Banned from Club Penguin
A lot of people seem to think Poison is the only type without a Legendary (Assuming you're one who thinks Ultra Beasts aren't Legendary). This is actually not true; there's no Bug type Legendaries either. Now I know what people are gonna say "But what about Genesect?". Genesect is a Mythical Pokemon, not a Legendary (Mythical Pokemon don't count as Legendary from "official" sources).

lol all mythical Pokémon are legendaries. It’s just that not all legendaries are mythicals. Like how all mammals are animals but not all animals are mammals.

And technically Arceus and Silvally can be all the types but that’s only through their abilities so I also wouldn’t count them as the first poison type legendary.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
lol all mythical Pokémon are legendaries. It’s just that not all legendaries are mythicals. Like how all mammals are animals but not all animals are mammals.

And technically Arceus and Silvally can be all the types but that’s only through their abilities so I also wouldn’t count them as the first poison type legendary.

It's a very gray area. I actually personally consider Legendaries, Mythicals and Ultra Beasts all legends myself. But quite often I get people coming at me with "lol you're wrong, they're not legendaries because TPCi said so". I will keep saying this until I'm blue in the face, if Ultra Beasts aren't legendary, then neither are Mythicals.

I was merely pointing out there's also no Bug types in TPCi's Legendary category, when most people think Poison is the only without one when it isn't.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Here's a misconception I thought was pretty interesting. So as many of you know, the main character Yellow of Pokemon Adventures is often thought of as Pokemon's very first leading female main character. Although she is often well-known as being one of Pokemon's earliest leading female main characters of the 90s, she is not the first. There is also Misty of the anime who is considered a main character but isn't a lead main character in the same vein as Ash Ketchum. The very first leading female main character is perhaps a character most of you have never heard of, even those who are very familiar with the Pokemon series lore. That character is none other than Hazel of the shojo manga, Magical Pokemon Journey released in July 1997.

Status
Not open for further replies.