• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Misconceptions about Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I got two misconceptions here. Let's see how I do this.

1. The Condemnation of Jynx
Every pokemon has fans and haters. That's perfectly fine. However, Jynx gets a lot of unjust hatred. This is due to many not knowing what Jynx is truly based on.

Many consider Jynx to be a stereotype of African American women; this is not true. Jynx is based on the mythical Japanese demon Yama-uba, who in early myth was depicted as a short shrewd woman wearing a ragged red kimono, with piercing white-yellowish hair and black skin caused by tosho, or frostbite. Like Jynx, Yama-uba was known to entrance people by dancing. She would seduce male travelers wandering near her abode, then eat them once in her grasp. She was also known to entrance and eat children by singing.

The misconception with Jynx being a racial stereotype likely came from characters like Dragon Ball Z's Mr. Popo, who in his Japanese incarnation bares a striking resemblance and behavior pattern to the minstrel shows of 1800s United States. However Jynx's skin has often been heavily implied to not be skin at all, but a dark veil of shadow, evidenced by how the blackness does not take any actual shape, instead merely stretching behind Jynx's hair and body.

As an African American myself, I never liked how poorly treated Jynx was and continues to be simply because of her appearance. Given the accusations, it is actually quite ironic.

2. Pokémon Sword & Shield's Development
This is perhaps the greatest misconception in the series' entire franchise. Let's see if I can word this well.

Alrighty, so the general gist of this whole issue is what would be called a Clown Car Scenario. Basically, it is the idea of cramming as much into something as possible. The issue many players had and still have is they're convinced that because all 800+ pokemon managed to fit in Sun & Moon, they must be able to fit in Sword & Shield. However, just because you manage to cram ten clowns into a car, doesn't mean they fit. Game Freak has been cramming the sh*t out of these clowns since the development of X & Y.

In truth, all of those pokemon were never meant to fit in any of those games: not X&Y, ORAS, Sun and Moon, or USUM. Game Freak crammed them all in anyway, for the sake of meeting fan demands. However, with Sun and Moon, it finally ran its course. The amount of time, effort, and money needed to constantly add several hundred pokemon - which meant thousands of models - into every game was hindering the overall productivity of Game Freak. The company had not been able to focus on any other projects because of the development demands of Pokémon, not to mention the amount of stress and strain such development has on such a small team of people.

Remember, even though they partially own and help run The Pokémon Company, Game Freak is still an indie developer. Most people do not know this. Many are under the belief Nintendo is telling Game Freak what to do, or even TPC. Neither is true. When it comes to the development of the main series Pokémon games, Game Freak is entirely on their own. They take no other money than the revenue collected for main series titles and residuals from the franchise. Neither Nintendo nor TPC has the power to intervene on the development of Game Freak's games, and as Junichi Masuda alluded to in last year's Game Informer interview, Game Freak would not want them to. Understandably so. Unfortunately, this does lead to hellish development issues.

To be quite frank, Game Freak bit off more than they could chew when they decided to go full 3D with X&Y. They were not ready. They had neither time nor the manpower. But they did it anyway, and now they are reaping the consequences. They simply cannot do it.

The only sensible solution to ensure they can successfully continue developing the main series Pokémon games and work on new projects is by cutting a substantial portion of Pokémon's development. The most obvious portion would be the National Dex itself. Junichi Masuda has stated back in October 2019 that he knew since Gold & Silver the day would eventually come where the dex would have to be cut, and his single regret is not cutting it sooner. They screwed themselves into a corner trying to make us happy, and now everyone is pissed. In the end, even though I am not fully satisfied with some of the animations in Sword & Shield, I do understand.

Cutting the dex was the ONLY way to ensure productivity. It was either that or the entire franchise comes to a screeching halt so Game Freak can finish. That would've meant delaying the anime, films, TGC cards, new merch, and all other ventures, including Universal Studios' Super Nintendo World (which ended up getting halted anyway thanks to coronavirus). The entire franchise moves according to the current generation. The generation cannot begin until Game Freak finishes. Thus, the cut had to be made. It was a business decision, not a development one.

Well, I hope I explained that well. lol

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
But Special is by definition not a faithful adaptation. It stopped being one after the RGB saga, when Kusaka switched to putting major twists on the lead characters, and occasionally focusing on random villains who were either original characters or weren't villains in the games. You can call them "just a few differences" all you want, but when the altered characters are the major characters who move the story, you can't claim they're minor, meaningless changes. When I played Pokémon Yellow, I wasn't a blonde girl trying to save the world from the Elite Four. When I played GSC, I wasn't fighting a villainous Pryce who seeks the power to time travel. When I played DPPt, I wasn't a member of a comedy duo bodyguarding a rich girl. When I played BW2, I wasn't a cop, or a Team Plasma member.

If they made an adaptation of Zelda: Ocarina of Time that made Link a scientist and turned Impa into the main villain, would you call it a faithful adaptation?
They are a "few differences". They really are when your trying to argue a series that has over 20 years worth of content. I would even go so far as to say this is fact. If you wish to change from a "few differences" to "a lot of differences", may I suggest you go to the manga section and start a discussion over this there? This seems like it would make a great discussion for manga readers. As for your question about Ocarina of Time, of course. As long as it stays true to the games' story and setting with it's numerous dungeons and characters that it reminds fans of their love for Zelda, it is as faithful to the games just like Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo is considered one of the best and most faithful takes on Dumas' 1844 novel The Count of Monte Cristo among readers even though it goes for a sci-fi setting with more attention to Albert, tweaking some things here and there on the themes of revenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.