• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Missed Mega Evolution Opportunities

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
I felt that it was unfair that Gardevoir got one, but not Gallade. I also wish that all starters (except for the ones in Gen V and VI, they can come later) got one.

Wait, why exactly exclude these two generations?

I'm gonna remind you that Pokémon from Gen IV got a mega evolution as well.

Why none from Gen V got one is something I'll never understand, unless of course someone gives me a convincing explanation.

Murder Doll

Button Presser

Why none from Gen V got one is something I'll never understand, unless of course someone gives me a convincing explanation.

What G6 pokemon got a mega?

Also I don't see why G5 shouldn't get megas, sure some of them shouldn't but some pokemon such as Braviary would actually be rather good candidates for a mega.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
What G6 pokemon got a mega?

Also I don't see why G5 shouldn't get megas, sure some of them shouldn't but some pokemon such as Braviary would actually be rather good candidates for a mega.

First of all I think you're confusing the Roman numerals. IV means 4, not 6. VI means 6.

And yes, that's exactly my point. Thanks for adding to my argument.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
*talk of mega-evolution for Rapidash being fire/flying*

Yeah, stealth rock would destroy it with that typing.
To make it more mythical-like, maybe have it be Fairy/Flying, or if it needs to keep it's fire-typing, make it Fire/Fairy.
Just because it a mythical creature that can fly, doesn't mean it has to have the flying type.

Now that we have a more favorable "light" type in Fairy, MegaDash needs to happen. Fire/Fairy with Levitate as it's ability. That would leave it with Poison, Rock and Water as it's weaknesses under normal circumstances. Unfortunately, Rapidash right now doesn't have a whole lot in the way of Fairy moves, outside of Charm. :/ But maybe Play Rough or Dazzling Gleam could make their way into it's move repertoire...

It would also counter other Fairies fairly well, outside of Azumarill and *lol* Carbink. Get's Iron Tail (move tutor/TM), and Poison Tail (naturally) for coverage. But it's attack would have to boosted considerably to be a significant threat. AND it would be one of the first Pokes to sport the Fairy/Dark dual resistance! IDK...

Mr.FusRoDah

Yes, but considering that GF has tried to ride the whole Pikachu mascot thing for nineteen years even when Pikachu is the most ridiculed Pokémon ever, I wouldn't be surprised. Why don't you just make Lucario the mascot? He is the most popular Pokémon, as it seems. Try to find one person who doesn't like Lucario!

Genwunners and Ground-type moves, since both bash the crap out of them. I test ran my old movie star, Vigilante the Lucario, on Free Battles on X today. Was awesome, but those ground type moves though. I was running Charizard X, and didn't have the heart to take Korrina's former Lucario's Mega-Stone.
I understand that they made an exception since they planned on Diantha using Gardevoir, but now Gallade is at a complte disadvantage with Gardevoir typing wise, not to mention gardevoir's mega form

I know dude! Gallade is sort of a vestigial Pokemon now. Sure, it can still be used in game for a lot of things, but until it gets a Mega, it's glory days are over.

Mr.FusRoDah

I think Mega Golem and Mega Machamp need to be a thing as well. Tell me that wouldn't be interesting? Also, so does Garbodor or Muk.

Murder Doll

Button Presser
If Mega Golem becomes a thing I'd question how they'd make it work, his typing is the primary thing wrong with him but they can't not include rock (because he's a walking bolder with a head) and if they take out ground he loses STAB on earthquake.

Mega Machamp would be interesting although No Guard boosted Dynamic Punch is already powerful if used correctly.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I was always disappointed we didn't get Mega Swampert and Sceptile.

Mega Farfetch'd and Dunsparce would have been nice.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
If Mega Golem becomes a thing I'd question how they'd make it work, his typing is the primary thing wrong with him but they can't not include rock (because he's a walking bolder with a head) and if they take out ground he loses STAB on earthquake.

Oh yeah, the typing about that.

It might be 4 times weak to grass and water, but don't forget it also has the ability sturdy. Which is something nobody should overlook as it allows it to hit one time before being knocked out.

Ti4558

I think we might get mega sceptile and swampert in AR and OS and I think Swampert should get sap sipper.

Missingno.Fan

I was excluding gens V and VI because they are still fresh in people's minds. Honestly I would love to see Megas for all of the starters but I think it is more realistic to not wish for anything from those generations.

PolkaMan

I think a Poke that really needs a mega evo is Regigigas. It's already hard enough to get the golem trio, but it's even harder to get the golem king itsel. It's a legendary (not a Mew type legendary) so it's supposed to be OP. An ability I feel that would fit the puller if continents would be sheer force. Giving this thing a mega stone would let it be useable in so many other tiers, and wouldn't ban the Poke itself. The non mega would be used in nu, and the mega for RU, or maybe even UU.

Rakurai

Mega Hydreigon and Metagross need to happen, considering that they're currently rather lacking compared to the other pseudo legendary Pokemon.

In the former's case, the only thing that's actually holding it back much is its speed, so giving it even a mild boost to that coupled with some manner of offensive ability to compensate for the loss of its hold item slot could make it a lot more viable in the metagame.

Also, Gen V is going to be as old as Gen IV in a little over a year, so the "too new" argument likely isn't going to be valid by the time the third game(s) come out.

Tattooed Tooth

So many flags!
I think a Poke that really needs a mega evo is Regigigas. It's already hard enough to get the golem trio, but it's even harder to get the golem king itsel. It's a legendary (not a Mew type legendary) so it's supposed to be OP. An ability I feel that would fit the puller if continents would be sheer force. Giving this thing a mega stone would let it be useable in so many other tiers, and wouldn't ban the Poke itself. The non mega would be used in nu, and the mega for RU, or maybe even UU.

Nah, Regigigas only needs an updated Slow Start: 2 turns instead of 5 would be enough to make it usable, yet not so OP with the default Protect.

Now, Mega Sunflora with Flower Gift would be very cool. ^^

LittleLadyLeafeon

Struggling Cutie
There are a few megas, like Mawile for example, who could've used a pre-evolution. I think it is a little more rewarding and interesting to evolve your Pokemon up, instead of just trying to get a Mega Stone- but that's just my personal opinion. I think expanding evolution lines without the use of Megas would've been really nice- like Gardevoir for example. One of my favorite Pokemon, yes, but it already goes through a full 3 stages- and is decently powerful without a Mega.

Staying on topic of this thread, though, I think that Skarmory or Donphan would do well with a Mega Evolution. They're mildly popular Pokemon, and are good, but have the potential for awesome designs and stat expansion. Also, Machamp or Golem could receive Mega evolutions- almost like if you had to choose between the two?

I just think there's a lot of untapped potential on the whole front of Mega and regular evolutions.

Eeveemaster

Amemoth Fan :D
My only desire for Mega Evolution as I mentioned numerous times is for Masquerain to get one. I'm still hoping for it, with the upcoming remakes of Ruby & Sapphire it may possibly happen. Now for its Ability, I was hoping for Drizzle but thinking about it I realized Prankster is a much better ability. It would make Masquerain viable in OU tiers. Priority Quiver Dance, Baton Pass, Sticky Web, Whirlwind, Agility backed by reliable recovery in the form of Roost would make Masquerain unrivaled in supportive role. Not to mention the Base Stat buffed given by Mega Evolution would make Masquerain suitable for Defensive/Offensive role as well.

I realized that Masquerain should've gotten Prankster ability instead of Volbeat. There's nothing trickstery about Volbeat, while Masquerain has its enormous eye like pattern that looks like a scary face. Just my two cents.

I also think Bug/Flying is an alright typing for its Mega as is Bug/Water. Though the latter would be much ideal so Masquerain can give Volcarona a run for its money. Really really Masquerain should be one of the unique Bug. So much wasted potential.

Last edited:

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
I think we might get mega sceptile and swampert in AR and OS and I think Swampert should get sap sipper.

Sap Sipper would definitely be a great ability, but I doubt GF would do it. The fact that this would make Swampert have no weaknesses whatsoever would easily lead to it getting banned because it has very workable stats that would be backed up by the ability.

Another mega they could add, Tropius with Thick Fat. Although this is similar to Swampert in covering weaknesses, Tropius would still be susceptible to Stealth Rocks, and it wouldn't be as underpowered as it currently is.