• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Missed Opportunities in the Galar Region

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
It also defeats the entire purpose of Dexit. I think that Home will be the only place where you can have every single Pokemon together in a single application.

What was the purpose of Dexit, in your opinion?

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Basically to save on development time and costs by not including all the Pokemon.
Right, and the development phase is now long over. Why would retroactively adding Pokemon in as convenient defeat the purpose of Dexit? It saved time and resources when they were needed, now that time is less stringent there's no reason not to add them back if the assets are already being created for a hypothetical set of remakes/new games.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Right, and the development phase is now long over. Why would retroactively adding Pokemon in as convenient defeat the purpose of Dexit? It saved time and resources when they were needed, now that time is less stringent there's no reason not to add them back if the assets are already being created for a hypothetical set of remakes/new games.
It would make people less willing to buy the new games.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan

And that's an entirely separate issue from saving time on development. That would mean Dexit was basically a marketting stunt, and while the cynical part of me believes that very well might have been the case, I'm definitely not going to support that kind of anti-consumer marketing.

KillerDraco

By that logic people wouldn't have bought the expansion pass unless they really wanted Urshifu, Calyrex, etc. since they could just transfer all of the returning Pokemon. Yet people still did and it probably wasn't for less than 10 new Legendaries.

I think you're greatly underestimating the degree to which Pokemon games sell, and that's ignoring factors like nostalgia for Remakes, etc.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I liked the DLC. The Crown Tundra answered what was on the lower half of Galar and why we couldn’t explore it at first unlike Kalos which still has a pretty significant section still left untouched and aren’t covered in mountains or water or something similar to be easily explained that it is unable to be used for civilization or something like that.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
The 2nd DLC was very nice, but at the end of the day - I wont play it again, maybe 1 more time and that's it (Im talking about a new walkthrough). I replayed gen 3-6 100000 times and can still do it more and more. But the same wont happen with Galar for me. And thats what important at the end of the day, for me atleast.

SilverSneasel

Yokohama Gym Leader
There are so many places that could have been used for sidequests, for example. Hammerlocke has that gigantic vault and that mysterious building in the west wing, Hulbury has the lighthouse... Wyndon is so wide, but you can´t enter in most buildings and you can´t even buy stuff at the stadium stands nor ride the ferris wheel. I also think Ballonlea could have been bigger, it´s such a pretty place. I also miss being able to visit the gym leaders just because :´)

To put it shortly, I just wanted to explore the urban areas more.

Luthor

Pokedex entries. One thing I've noticed is that so many pokemon you can capture in-game that there is no new pokedex entries for. I think its a missed opportunity. Even if these new pokedex entries were something only seen by pokemon home its still a missed opportunity to make the legendary hunting feel valuable. I think a few Pokémon do have this situation (Keldeo if memory serves correctly) and is seems relatively simple way to make the post game slightly more fun.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Quality over quantity. If all the past Pokemon were there on Day 1, then there wouldn't be as many cool features. Dividing them into groups and adding each one through patches and DLC packs gives players a reason to revisit Sword and Shield.
This wasn't a general question to be honest. It was aimed at one specific user so I could better respond to them.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Quality over quantity. If all the past Pokemon were there on Day 1, then there wouldn't be as many cool features. Dividing them into groups and adding each one through patches and DLC packs gives players a reason to revisit Sword and Shield.
Quality over quantity is such a dumb argument. Just because there's less doesn't automatically make it better (and vice-versa)

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I wasn't really intending to get into a debate with everyone who ever had an opinion on Dexit but quality over quantity is a viable development tactic... so long as the quality manifests itself. I think Sword/Shield laid some important foundations for the franchise and there were certainly a few neat features, such as Raids, but it also had a very poor storyline, an initial lack of post-game content (the fact that it was added months later in DLC doesn't excuse its absence on release, or the fact that you essentially need to pay $90 to experience the full game), an overall sparsity of side activities, some very poorly written characters, and are overall very lackluster games save for a few popular features such as the aforementioned Raids. Even the Wild Area, as neat as it is, was waaaay oversold in pre-release marketing. What was supposed to be a massive open world area with multiple biomes that spans the entire region and can be explored for hours can in fact be navigated in about 5 minutes.

I don't think quality over quantity is inherently an invalid argument, I just don't think you can fairly apply it to Sword/Shield as the quality just isn't there. The potential for quality is, and if the games had been given, say, another 6 months of development time, they might have been truly amazing. Hopefully they'll learn from their mistakes and build upon the foundations that Sword/Shield laid, and the next set of games will be truly amazing, but I can't truthfully say Sword/Shield are in a way that would justify Dexit.

Luthor

Pokemon home was a missed opportunity. With it moving to a new device and with Pokemon quite different from how it was when the GTS was first introduced. There's a lot more forms and a lot of new evolution methods (some of which have trading). For me now was perfect time to update it a bit. Sadly this didn't happen in a significant way and in a few ways the current form of the GTS can be worse. Trade evolutions failed to work even when no items or special requirements (I haven't tested this for a while so hopefully they fixed it but i certainly traded a Boldore for a Boldore and it didn't evolve when neither held an item) and as it has to be transferred between devices you can miss out on trades due to the time gap.

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
The way I see it, Pokémon Home should add an update that lets you freely transfer one item between Sword and Shield once a day or every 24 hours so if you transfer an item at 8:00 one morning, you can’t transfer another item until 8:00 the next morning.(Sweet Apple/Tart Apple, Rusted Sword/Rusted Shield, etc.)

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
The way I see it, Pokémon Home should add an update that lets you freely transfer items between Sword and Shield (Sweet Apple/Tart Apple, Rusted Sword/Rusted Shield, etc.)
I wish. But unless they had a way to make sure that people couldn't exploit it, I doubt that'll ever happen.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I wasn't really intending to get into a debate with everyone who ever had an opinion on Dexit but quality over quantity is a viable development tactic... so long as the quality manifests itself. I think Sword/Shield laid some important foundations for the franchise and there were certainly a few neat features, such as Raids, but it also had a very poor storyline, an initial lack of post-game content (the fact that it was added months later in DLC doesn't excuse its absence on release, or the fact that you essentially need to pay $90 to experience the full game), an overall sparsity of side activities, some very poorly written characters, and are overall very lackluster games save for a few popular features such as the aforementioned Raids. Even the Wild Area, as neat as it is, was waaaay oversold in pre-release marketing. What was supposed to be a massive open world area with multiple biomes that spans the entire region and can be explored for hours can in fact be navigated in about 5 minutes.

I don't think quality over quantity is inherently an invalid argument, I just don't think you can fairly apply it to Sword/Shield as the quality just isn't there. The potential for quality is, and if the games had been given, say, another 6 months of development time, they might have been truly amazing. Hopefully they'll learn from their mistakes and build upon the foundations that Sword/Shield laid, and the next set of games will be truly amazing, but I can't truthfully say Sword/Shield are in a way that would justify Dexit.

Unfortunately, 6 months would mean they'd miss the holidays completely, and it looks like their strategy to sell is to always release something late October to early December so the games would be hot holiday gifts. I forget when the last main series Pokémon game is that was not released during that range, but I know there are more released then than games that weren't. That being said, if they had another year to do it, it could've been even better and it would've hit the holiday season at the sacrifice of missing the previous year's.