• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

MISSINGNO and GLITCHES - talk about them HERE

Does anyone have any information about this specific Gen I glitch?

When I was a kid, my brother was battling his friend in Pokemon Blue via the Link Cable. The Link Cable they had set up had three connector ends to it. (Although looking it up, I see there was a 2nd Generation Link Cable released that had three ends.)

I remember I wanted to see what would happen if I connected my copy of Pokemon Red (or Yellow see below) to the third connector end. I was expecting to see a Triple Threat Match like in pro wrestling, but what ended up happening was my brother and his friend proceeded to a normal link battle while I, on the other hand, had to battle an extremely glitched trainer that had multiple MissingNo as his Pokemon. It was very disturbing and I'm pretty sure I had a nightmare later about it.

Could anyone point me to any more information regarding this glitch? I haven't been able to find any information online about it. When I search for "link" in the List of Gen I Glitches Bulbapedia article, the specific glitch I'm talking about doesn't come up. When I search for "Cable" it only brings up the "Cable Club Escape Glitch" which isn't what happened in my situation.

I apologize for any vague details. It was 24 years ago so I may have misremembered some stuff.

If there's no information online, would anyone be able to recreate it? I think you would need 2 Game Boy Pockets, 1 Game Boy, a three-pronged link cable, and 3 Gen I games.

Confusing the matter, I was very Pokemon Privileged when I was a kid. My brother and I both owned our own individual Game Boy Pockets and Game Boy Colors. I also had a copy of Red and Yellow. Unfortunately, I don't remember which Game Boy I used and which game.

RedNinja999

Been using the Mew glitch in Pokemon Red to catch different Pokemon for fun. Planning on using the Missingno one as well later on in game to duplicate items and what not along with helping to catch harder to get Safari Zone Pokemon. Chansey and co., I'm talking to you! :p
Actually, I have been trying to get myself a Alakazam without trading, and through Bulbapedia I determined that I need a Pokémon with a special stat of 149. Question is, how do I manipulate a Pokemons special stat, and if so, who would be the best candidate

Zaia

Actually, I have been trying to get myself a Alakazam without trading, and through Bulbapedia I determined that I need a Pokémon with a special stat of 149. Question is, how do I manipulate a Pokemons special stat, and if so, who would be the best candidate

You can do this using the Mew Glitch as well. Start the Mew Glitch as per usual, using your preferred long range trainer (I always use the Route 8 Gambler), and after flying away from him, fight a trainer battle as per the standard criteria required. It doesn't matter what trainer you fight, because the glitch will resolve depending on the pokemon you last fought when returning to Route 8, so you can fight as much as you want and then return when you are ready.

To set this up, you will need your own pokemon with 149 Special, and you will need to encounter a Ditto. I used this glitch primarily in Pokemon Yellow where there were Dittos in the Cerulean Cave, but in Red you can find Dittos on Route 23 pretty easily (the route where all your badges are checked before Victory Road). Put your 149 Special pokemon at the top of the party so that wild Ditto will transform into it, and then kill it. It will save 149 into address CD2D, and generate a wild encounter with Alakazam upon return to Route 8.

There is another, much easier way to do this though, but requires a new game. You must make your player name anything with the capital letter V in the third, fifth or seventh slots of the name. V is stored in the game as index number 149, and the Old Man glitch (the one used to encounter Missingnos to clone items) enables pokemon encounters with wild pokemon that correspond to the index values of the letters and numbers of the alphabet. The second, fourth and sixth slots correspond to the level of the pokemon of its following slot (slot 2 controls the level of the pokemon of slot 3, etc). If you wanted to encounter only level 149 Alakazams, you would make your name VVVVVVV.

Last edited: