• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

MISSINGNO and GLITCHES - talk about them HERE

The Last Jedi

Stalling is Cowardly
The best glitch is catching mew, that is the best because you get it right off the bat and can teach it any tm and just go around pewning all the gym leaders lol mew glitch is awesome and it's in the game so no cheating required just catch it and its yours

Hello people of Serebii.net, I would like to share something i found in Pokemon Yellow. What you need to so is not to fight the trainer next to the Nugget Bridge in the tall grass, (You can find this trainer by following the road to the left.) you also have to have Lavender Town has been unlocked and you have not fought the trainer on the first battle floor inside of the Tower in the box of graves. Next you will need a Pokemon with Fly, then do the Gambler Glitch (for those of you who don't know this, you need to stand to where the trainer is off screen but will see you if you walk one step in front of him, he will see you, so press start while moving and you will have done "The Gambler glitch".) and Fly to Lavender Town, and go to the third floor and fight the trainer previously stated. When you have beaten him, (or her o_O) leave the Tower and Fly to Cerulean City, go up the Nugget Bridge on the left side until your start menu pops up by itself (this is normal so don't freak out) just exit it unless you want to put your strongest Pokemon in the front of your party. You will enter a battle and the screen will stay black, and the music will die out, ( this is normal too, so don't turn off the game, i also recommend playing this on PlayR.com's Pokemon yellow game or playing this on an N64 with Pokemon Stadium 2.) then you will encounter MISSINGNO. after about, maybe 8-10 seconds. After that (i have not been able to actually battle him, but i have seen it) Next it will say MISSINGNO. is trying to learn... but it will keep saying that until you shut it off. I have not been able to battle him (as previously stated) but i suggest keep trying until you are able to battle him. If you are playing on an N64 and it crashes, it will say it is corrupted, but its not, nothing is wrong with the save file. THIS WILL NOT HARM YOUR GAME, HOWEVER I HAVE TRIED OTHER ONES AND I CORRUPTED MY GAME. SO FAR THIS IS THE ONLY SAFE POKEMON YELLOW MISSINGNO. GLITCH THAT I HAVE FOUND. Thank you and happy glitching! Also, i call this the Trainer Method. :D

Last edited:

Typikachu

So I bought a used Pokemon Green Japanese game online and it came last night. I started playing it last night and saw that its Pokemon were a Wartortle with Earthquake, Tail Whip, and Withdraw. It had 999 HP.

Then there were two Mew's; one of which was Level 0 and another that was Level 12. The Level 0 one had 999 HP and a long, messed up HP bar & the one at Level 12 also had 999 HP but the bar looked normal.

The two Mew's also only knew Earthquake. My character had only the first badge and was in Pewter City at the time, so it couldn't have gone to the Move Deleter to delete the two Mew's moves yet.....Mysterious....

Oh and when I leveled the Mew's up to the next level, their HP's returned to normal & the Level 0 one became a Level 100....

What could this person have done to this game? I don't mind. I'm just curious and I find it interesting! I hope I don't have a cursed game or something!

Sounds to me like one of the first pocket monsters game. (The first ever) And unfortunatly there is nothing wrong with your game. The previous person must have tried the glitches like the mew glitch and stuff. Also the original Green and blue games are nothing but glitches. Thats why they made blue and Red after. The original blue and green were just starting out (like a test run) and they had a lot of stuff glitcing them. After the games were out for a while they made Red and Blue and fixed the glitches minus the missingno, Mew, and M.
So dont worry your game isnt haunted its just the game itself. :D

Tyrantrum

I don't know, but my glitch was weird. I had a guy standing on top of the Cinnabar island gym. I could go anywhere in the game and encounter a pokemon...then fly to Cinnabar Island and surf along the side of the island close to the gym. And then I would encounter said pokemon in the water. As I said, it was weird. But I used that to fight Unknown Dungeon pokemon with a pokemon center close by.

Ah I love the many glitches from the first gen games. I guess I could call myself the glitch hunter, since I love looking and experimenting with said glitches. I also love to figure out why the occur, but the major ones have been debunked already. Tyrantrum, this glitch is great for those looking for Safari Zone pokemon you don't have to worry about just using rocks and safari balls on them you can easily capture them. The reason why this glitch occurs is because the programmers wanted pokemon to appear on the coast of cinnabar island. However they forgot to determine which Pokemon could be found there, so the game just takes the Pokemon data from where you were before and that's why you can find Pokemon from any route or area on the coast. My favorite glitch in the first gen games is probably the silph co. PC glitch as I was the one who discovered it, but glitch city in general is pretty cool. :) I also discovered the "removing overworld pokemon" glitch too.

Tyrantrum

Somehow i never thought to use it for Safari Zone pokemon... Nice to know after all these years what the cause of the glitch was. Yeah, I can easily see it being used to catch Scythers and Chanceys... I came across MissingNo with this glitch once or twice I think too.

Yahazugiri7

Well i dont know if this is the right topic to ask about a glitch but i can delete this post if needed.Yesterday i heard of a glitch in pokemon x and y that makes your game freeze if you save in lumiose city.Is it true?

classic myth

Gen One Veteran
The best glitch is catching mew, that is the best because you get it right off the bat and can teach it any tm and just go around pewning all the gym leaders lol mew glitch is awesome and it's in the game so no cheating required just catch it and its yours

Yes it is ;p I caught my mew in red and then used it as a starter for blue. :p

"Evil creatures that linger* at the sea shore of Cinnabar Island which you get infinite items in exchange for your soul." Don't forget about "M" !

xrick

Hi everyone.
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this... If not, I'd like to be pointed to the right place. Thanks in advance. Anyway...

The other day, all of a sudden, an idea crossed my mind... A possible way for GF to credite MissingNo. as an official Pokémon...
Many of us and Game Freak treat MissingNo. as a "Glitch Pokémon"... But what if a certain Virtual Pokémon were to have a connection to it?
Here's the bulk of my inicial idea:

#000 MissingNo.

Glitch Pokémon

Among several Porygon created to be sold at the Celadon Game Corner, a few would be deemed as defectives and marked for deletion.
One of those defectives, aflicted by a programming bug, got glitched to the point of being incapable of having a fixed shape, cry or moveset...
In it's confusion, it somehow escaped into the wild and ended up on Cinnabar Island's Pokémon Mansion, the perfect place for hiding.
Seeing many Pokémon along the way, the glitchy Porygon would try to fix it's shape by mimicking other Pokémon's shape, akin to Ditto's Transform move.
Meanwhile, after having been noticed that one of the defective Porygon had gone missing, it started being referred as "Missing Number" or "MissingNo."...

So? What do you think of this? Care to share your opinion?

Last edited:

legendarytrainer123

Happy Holidays!
The funniest thing about MissingNo. is the hall of fame. The creepiest thing is that glitch trainer battle you can run into.
Who agrees?

legendarytrainer123

Happy Holidays!
well i dont know if this is the right topic to ask about a glitch but i can delete this post if needed.yesterday i heard of a glitch in pokemon x and y that makes your game freeze if you save in lumiose city.is it true?

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

legendarytrainer123

Happy Holidays!
Hi everyone.
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this... If not, I'd like to be pointed to the right place. Thanks in advance. Anyway...

The other day, all of a sudden, an idea crossed my mind... A possible way for GF to credite MissingNo. as an official Pokémon...
Many of us and Game Freak treat MissingNo. as a "Glitch Pokémon"... But what if a certain Virtual Pokémon were to have a connection to it?
Here's the bulk of my inicial idea:

#000 MissingNo.

Glitch Pokémon

Among several Porygon created to be sold at the Celadon Game Corner, a few would be deemed as defectives and marked for deletion.
One of those defectives, aflicted by a programming bug, got glitched to the point of being incapable of having a fixed shape, cry or moveset...
In it's confusion, it somehow escaped into the wild and ended up on Cinnabar Island's Pokémon Mansion, the perfect place for hiding.
Seeing many Pokémon along the way, the glitchy Porygon would try to fix it's shape by mimicking other Pokémon's shape, akin to Ditto's Transform move.
Meanwhile, after having been noticed that one of the defective Porygon had gone missing, it started being referred as "Missing Number" or "MissingNo."...

So? What do you think of this? Care to share your opinion?
It's possible because it's the world of Pokemon. The creators add things from ghost girls to buried alive.

Crystal_

MissingNo facts explained in detail

Have you ever wondered what MissingNo exactly is, or why it exists to begin with?

From what I've seen in this thread and also in general, there are plently of "fan made" theories about MissingNo, such as it was meant to be a baby kangaskhan, or Cubone's mother, or even "it was just meant to troll us".

Anyway, those theories are all interesting, but completely false. The truth is much simpler and oh well, let's face it, more boring. Either way, in these two Youtube videos made by me, I deny all those theories and I show and prove that there is a simple logic behind all MissingNo facts and other MissingNo related events (in Pokemon Red/Blue). In the videos, there is around 30% of plain text and the other ~70% shows the screen of my computer recorded where I prove in different ways what I have explained with the text.

Maybe there are parts that are not very easy to understand since it's all quite technical, but I don't think it's too complicated either. I haven't gone as deeply as I could have anyway. Be warned though, maybe some of you don't want to know the truth for nostalgic reasons, I don't know...

Video 1:
Introduction - What is MissingNo and why does it exist? Is there only one MissingNo, or are there more? (...)
Base stats data - ¿Why MissingNo's stats are so extreme? ¿Why does MissingNo belong to a type (Bird) that is not used by any other Pokemon? ¿Why does it learn the same move twice (Water Gun)? (...)
Sprite - Why does MissingNo have the famous L shape it has? Where do the graphics that make up MissingNo come from? (...)

Video 2:
Item duplication - Why does battling MissingNo duplicate the sixth item in the bag? And why catching it makes Cubone be registered in the Pokedex? (...)
Hall of Fame corruption - Why seeing MissingNo makes HoF data become glitchy? (...)
Final notes - Does MissingNo evolve? How does MissingNo weigh as much as 8 Onix together? Who is the also famous 'M? What is 'M's relation to MissingNo? (...)

xrick

Ah... Dude? Easy there... Anyone who checks about MissingNo. on Bulbapedia (which you show on your first vid) will get as much intel as you may have there in your vids...
It's just a means of having fun trying to give some meaning to something that was initially supposed to not even exist...

Crystal_

There is sparse information about this topic in some places, but I'm sure you can't see information about this in bulbapedia in the same level of detail at all. It's true that I used bulbapedia as a reference, but only for generic parts in the beggining. As I said, the videos are maybe pretty technical if you are not familiar with this stuff.

It's just a means of having fun trying to give some meaning to something that was initially supposed to not even exist...
Never said otherwise, but I hope that discovering the truth can be interesting, too!

Neosonic97

Fastest thing Alive
Technically, the Glitch Pokémon are all Generation 2 Pokémon, going off of their Index Numbers, and in the unlikely event that you are able to transfer them to Gen 2, they will become that respective Pokémon. For example, the Ghost Missingno. is in fact ;249;. The others that you'll commonly see (Kabutops Fossil, Aerodactyl Fossil and the Missingno. in the slot neighbouring those two) are actually the Larvitar evolutionary line. An interview with Shigeru Miyamoto stated that there were originally going to be 190 Pokémon in generation 1, and that 39 were formatted, and became Missingno.

classic myth

Gen One Veteran

I actually used the mew glitch in red, put mew on my n64 (stadium 2) and then used it as my starter on blue :)