• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

MISSINGNO and GLITCHES - talk about them HERE

Tangeh

I'm wondering if anybody can confirm the following as an actual glitch or if I'm remembering things incorrectly from my childhood...

I vividly remember as a kid going through the pokemon mansion in Pokemon Red for what was probably the first time. I'm not sure exactly where in the mansion I was, but it was in front of one of the trainers with the overworld sprite of a guy in glasses (scientist maybe?). Right when I stepped in front of him, I got a wild encounter. Probably because I was like 6 years old the wild pokemon managed to beat my entire party, lol, and I was teleported back to the pokemon center. Right before that though, the screen kind of faded out and I could see the scientist trainer with an exclamation point above his head and he started walking towards me and the trainer encounter music played but the screen still faded out (I could still see the trainer until I got to the pokemon center).

I didn't really think anything of it and went back into the pokemon mansion. I'm not sure if I fought any trainers or pokemon before this next part occurred. I remember the start menu opened without me pressing start, which was weird, but as soon as I closed it a wild pokemon battle triggered with a golem. I remember the golem being really high leveled, like 70/80-something so I ran from it.

After doing some research, this sounds like a variation of the mew glitch. Except, those pokemon are apparently all found at level 7. Perhaps I saw the golem as a kid and assumed it was high leveled and ran? That's the only thing I can figure... if this is possible, anyways. :/ I did check to see if golem was registered in my pokedex, and it is listing as "caught" instead of just "seen", unfortunately. (I found it in my PC. According to the OT it was traded from my childhood friend's brother. So that's no help.)

I'm wondering if anybody can confirm the following as an actual glitch or if I'm remembering things incorrectly from my childhood...

I vividly remember as a kid going through the pokemon mansion in Pokemon Red for what was probably the first time. I'm not sure exactly where in the mansion I was, but it was in front of one of the trainers with the overworld sprite of a guy in glasses (scientist maybe?). Right when I stepped in front of him, I got a wild encounter. Probably because I was like 6 years old the wild pokemon managed to beat my entire party, lol, and I was teleported back to the pokemon center. Right before that though, the screen kind of faded out and I could see the scientist trainer with an exclamation point above his head and he started walking towards me and the trainer encounter music played but the screen still faded out (I could still see the trainer until I got to the pokemon center).

I didn't really think anything of it and went back into the pokemon mansion. I'm not sure if I fought any trainers or pokemon before this next part occurred. I remember the start menu opened without me pressing start, which was weird, but as soon as I closed it a wild pokemon battle triggered with a golem. I remember the golem being really high leveled, like 70/80-something so I ran from it.

After doing some research, this sounds like a variation of the mew glitch. Except, those pokemon are apparently all found at level 7. Perhaps I saw the golem as a kid and assumed it was high leveled and ran? That's the only thing I can figure... if this is possible, anyways. :/ I did check to see if golem was registered in my pokedex, and it is listing as "caught" instead of just "seen", unfortunately. (I found it in my PC. According to the OT it was traded from my childhood friend's brother. So that's no help.)

Though it's uncommon, in RBY wild encounters can trigger trainer fly (for those who don't know, it's the general term for the mew glitch, and works with any long-range trainer). The effects you've described are exactly that of trainer fly, up to the start menu opening on its own and encountering a wild Pokemon that shouldn't be there. The maximum level that those Pokemon can appear at is level 13 (if the trigger Pokemon was at +6 Attack) so it's likely that you just saw the Golem and thought "oh crap this is strong runrunrun" without looking at the level too closely.

PokemonMegaBeast

Im Still Here!
Well when i did the Mew Glitch it was by accident. I was younger so i was on nugget bridge were you would activate the mew glitch at the top and on the left. I walked down unknowing there was a trainer there as you cannot see him until you step one more step. I went to press start but since this was my first game ever on the GB i accidently pressed down as well accidently and i went down and the menu came up and i whited out for some reason. I didn't use teleport or anything it just opens the start menu and it does the white/black out animation? So i go back up to nugget bridge where i was but at the top i get stopped and the menu pops up again and i wait to see if the animation happens but it doesn't so i press B and a wild nidoqueen appears. Now i know its not mew but this is still clasified as the mew glitch and back then after a year or so i went to look it up to see if it was known or not. It was and i found out that many pokemon could be found doing this. That Nidoqueen was awesome though but it got wrecked against misty xD

Tangeh

Though it's uncommon, in RBY wild encounters can trigger trainer fly (for those who don't know, it's the general term for the mew glitch, and works with any long-range trainer). The effects you've described are exactly that of trainer fly, up to the start menu opening on its own and encountering a wild Pokemon that shouldn't be there. The maximum level that those Pokemon can appear at is level 13 (if the trigger Pokemon was at +6 Attack) so it's likely that you just saw the Golem and thought "oh crap this is strong runrunrun" without looking at the level too closely.

Yeah, that's probably what happened. Thank you for confirming, as I've never heard of the "trainer fly" being performed with a loss against a wild pokemon, lol. ^__^

Aquarelle

Staff member
^Moved your thread here since you're talking about a glitch.

Anyway, I've never done that Oak fight because I didn't even know it was possible to do via glitch until just a couple years ago iirc. :p

Tactical Squirtle

I was taught the Missingno glitch by a teammate at basketball practice. Had the my gameboy at the gym and he said, "here let me help ya out." Sat next to me and taught it to me. I thought this kid was a genius. Needless to say catching Pokemon was a piece of cake after.

harakuru

I was taught the Missingno glitch by a teammate at basketball practice. Had the my gameboy at the gym and he said, "here let me help ya out." Sat next to me and taught it to me. I thought this kid was a genius. Needless to say catching Pokemon was a piece of cake after.

I was taught in a simmilar way but... my save broke :<. Anyway massive amount of master balls is the best!

Xena

Warrior Princess
A long while ago I was messing around with glitches caused by Missingno on Pokemon Blue. I caught either Missingno or M'. I wish I could remember exactly what I did, but at one point while I was battling, I chose an attack, and the game infinitely spammed various sound effects. The sounds ranged from distorted Pokemon cries, victory music, attack sounds, safari zone PA system etc. I recorded about 15 minutes worth of it using Sound Recorder, of all things. I was frightened of it since it sounded very weird.

Last edited:

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
I am doing what I once thought impossible- I'm using .4 on my ingame team.

.4 is one of my favorite glitch Pokémon, second only to Missingno., but due to the high Special stat necessary to get one via the Mew Glitch, I've never been able to catch one for in-game use until well after the game was beaten. However, this time I was a man on a mission, and I have succeeded in catching a .4 with only three badges to my name. I even made it forget Super Glitch without the game going all screwy on me, so there's no risk whatsoever! :) For those of you wondering how I pulled it off, here is how I did it;

1: Earlier in the game, around Cerulean City, I caught an Abra and used the Mew Glitch to encounter some Missingno. (catching one of them in the process, also for my team), clone me up some Rare Candies, Nuggets, and various TMs. Bear with me, all of this is relevant. Using the cloned Rare Candies, I leveled up Abra, evolving it into Kadabra in the process, until its Special stat was at 194. That was one problem handled- getting the necessary Special stat so early in the game. But I still had to tackle the issue of the lack of Ditto so early in the game.

2: Upon arriving in Lavender Town, I proceeded to perform the Mew Glitch with the first Fisherman I encountered on Route 12. Got me a Tangela, nothing fancy, but my true intent there was to glitch the Snorlax away so I could pass through to Route 13 earlier than intended. Route 13's tall grass contains wild Ditto. So that was that problem solved, but then there came one last, fairly major, problem.

3: Usually, whenever I go to catch a .4, I am armed with a plethora of cloned Master Balls. But this time, I was going for the earliest .4 possible. Didn't even set foot in Saffron City yet, much less Silph Co. This posed a problem for two reasons. One, because I had never tried to catch a .4 without a Master Ball yet, and thus I had no concept of how difficult such a task might be. And two, and this is the big one, .4 start with a move commonly referred to as Super Glitch, and not without reason. Even so much as viewing the attack name can have catastrophic consequences on one's game. As you can imagine, I was not willing to risk having .4 use Super Glitch while I chuck Great Ball after Great Ball at it. So, I prevented my Paras from evolving into Parasect until it had learned Spore. I knew this was a bit of a gamble, considering that .4's Speed isn't too shabby, and Parasect's Speed is too shabby, but we're talking a level 28 Parasect vs. a level 7 .4 here. I had at least a little bit of confidence. Also, I sold most of the cloned TMs and used the cash to stock up on Great Balls.

Once all that was set up, I performed the Mew Glitch yet again (used the Gambler near the Underground Path, fyi). Made my way down Route 12, stopping to fight the Rocker with the Voltorb and Electrode along the way. I continued down to Route 13, doing my best to ninja my way past as many Trainers as I could, and fighting the ones I couldn't avoid- Charmander and Nidoking handled them, they needed the exp. anyway. Finally, I reached the tall grass, and encountered a Ditto. Switched to Kadabra, Ditto Transformed, I ran away, and Kadabra Teleported me back to Lavender. At that point, I switched Parasect to the front of my party, and made my way to Lavender Town's west exit.

And there it was. A wild .4, level 7. I had Parasect use Spore, and to my immense relief, it went first, put that .4 straight to sleep. And then I threw a Poké Ball, but .4 broke out of it. It didn't wake up, so I tried a Great Ball... and caught it!

After that came one final step- getting Super Glitch out of the picture. I saved the game, then Rare Candied .4 up to level 9, whereupon it tried to learn TM05. The first time I deleted Super Glitch for TM05, I was taken to an endless series of evolution sequences. First one was a glitchy Cubone evolving into Marowak, all the rest were nameless 'M evolving into Kangaskhan. Soft-reset the game and tried again. This time, no screwy effects. So yeah, a perfectly safe-to-use .4 is all mine now. :) My team now consists of Charmander, Nidoking, Missingno., Parasect, and .4. Just gotta decide on a sixth member. Once .4's trained up a little, anyway.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Does anyone have a mega post for the glitches?
You could go to bulbapedia...

Is anybody going to abstain from the glitches in the VC Gen I games?

Unless I hear something purposeful and positive about what they do to Pokemon bank. I'm not messing with them.
With the Mew Glitch, I don't know how PokeBank tests the legitimacy, so I'm not doing that one either.

Bananarama

The light is coming
You could go to bulbapedia...

Is anybody going to abstain from the glitches in the VC Gen I games?

Unless I hear something purposeful and positive about what they do to Pokemon bank. I'm not messing with them.
With the Mew Glitch, I don't know how PokeBank tests the legitimacy, so I'm not doing that one either.

Yeah, other than the Mew glitch, I'll try to avoid all of the glitches when I get the chance to download these games. I already have an actual copy of Blue, so I'll just play with all of the glitches using that copy of the game.

tct93

Game: Pokemon Red (3DS)
I just battled Brock's Onix with a lvl 14 Nidoran(m). My strategy was to poison it with Poison Sting. What I didn't think about was the fact that Poison Sting was going to miss 29 out of 30 times! How is that possible? I know about the 1/256 miss glitch, but I didn't know there was one that made you miss every damn move... Could someone explain this for me?

Secundum

Lord Of Order
I'm having trouble getting the cloning glitch (moving boxes) to work on Yellow for the 3DS. Any advice?

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
I discovered one. My pikachu evolved at lv 30 when it gained a level without a thunderstone. I looked it up and it apparently happens when you have s growlith in your party. I learn something new about 1st gen every day XD