• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

MISSINGNO and GLITCHES - talk about them HERE

SebastiaanZ

Thats weird then since I cannot get it to work. Can someone try it and see if they can get it done and let me know?

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
Interesting... it seems possible to encounter the elusive Ketsuban (MissingNo.) in Japanese Pokemon Blue! I'm currently doing a Nuzlocke of it, so I'd rather not test it out, but it's intriguing.

I figured out how to duplicate items without MissingNo. in Pokemon Green. Seems to be an after-effect of the "Yami Shop" glitch (which may not work entirely? I can still get tons of money from it). Man, lemme tell you, the thing is pretty whack. I'm going to use it to duplicate novelty TMs and stuff to put some neat moves on some of the Extended Mew Glitch captures I made. (Also, to get some Game Corner prizes like Porygon.)

Edit: I don't exactly have control over which items the glitch generates. =_=;; I managed to get a buggy Earth Badge to spawn in my bag, and when I attempted to glitch that... it messed up my Bag. When I fixed the problem, all of my items were gone. (Good thing I didn't save, haha.) An unintended side-effect of the glitch allowed me to safely obtain and view MissingNo. variants. They didn't appear to match any MissingNo.s on record, but that's probably because the thing's in Japanese.

Last edited:

gentwoer

I did the cloning glitch in my Pokemon Gold game and successfully got all 3 Johto starters! I just have some questions.

1. The Pokedex only registers the last one I received (Chikorita) will my Cyndaquil and Totodile eventually show up on the pokedex when they evolve? Or just their evolutions?

2. Does this glitch work with other gens? Can I do it in my Heartgold game? I heard it was harder to perform in gen 1, because it's easier to corrupt the data. Is that true? Following that can I use the glitch in yellow to get a second Pikachu and turn the first one into a Raichu?

3. Can I use this glitch to duplicate items such as the master ball by having the Pokemon hold the item?

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
I was able to access the "Yami Shop" in Pokemon Ao (Blue) after all. It was... wow. They had Master Balls for free there. And they sold Eggs. O_O;; Too bad it messed up my pause menu something fierce and froze my game when I tried viewing and interacting with the contents of my Bag. *Shrugs.* Oh well, I saved beforehand, so no love loss.

I did the cloning glitch in my Pokemon Gold game and successfully got all 3 Johto starters! I just have some questions.

1. The Pokedex only registers the last one I received (Chikorita) will my Cyndaquil and Totodile eventually show up on the pokedex when they evolve? Or just their evolutions?

2. Does this glitch work with other gens? Can I do it in my Heartgold game? I heard it was harder to perform in gen 1, because it's easier to corrupt the data. Is that true? Following that can I use the glitch in yellow to get a second Pikachu and turn the first one into a Raichu?

3. Can I use this glitch to duplicate items such as the master ball by having the Pokemon hold the item?
1. I don't think so. It might just register their evolutions.

2. Not that I'm aware of, no. You cannot replicate it in HGSS. I actually haven't seen anything about performing such a glitch in RBY... I don't think it's possible.

Pikachu is a unique Pokemon in Yellow which has been programmed to not to be able to evolve. The only way of getting a Raichu is to trade one over from Red or Blue.

3. I don't think so? I'm not sure about this one. Honestly though, you likely have access to the Coin Case glitch, so I don't see why one wouldn't rather use that to duplicate items like Rare Candies and the Master Ball instead.

Ace Trainer Alex

wants to fight!
Curious question. By utilizing the Shiny Ditto/Red Gyarados glitch, is it possible to effectively make any Gen 1 Pokémon shiny?

1. Follow through with Shiny Ditto glitch until Ditto is assured as Shiny.
2. Send out another Pokémon with Mimic.
3. Use Mimic to copy Transform onto your own Pokémon.
4. Time Transform right twice to duplicate IVs/DVs.
5. Leave battle or catch Ditto.
6. Send Pokémon up to Gen 2.
7. ???
8. Profit?

Think that would work?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Curious question. By utilizing the Shiny Ditto/Red Gyarados glitch, is it possible to effectively make any Gen 1 Pokémon shiny?

1. Follow through with Shiny Ditto glitch until Ditto is assured as Shiny.
2. Send out another Pokémon with Mimic.
3. Use Mimic to copy Transform onto your own Pokémon.
4. Time Transform right twice to duplicate IVs/DVs.
5. Leave battle or catch Ditto.
6. Send Pokémon up to Gen 2.
7. ???
8. Profit?

Think that would work?

Nah, there is a glitch in Gens 1 and 2 where any wild Pokémon that uses Transform that is caught will be assumed to be a Ditto. So it'll just be Ditto only and the glitch that you have described guarantees the shininess of the Ditto that you have caught.

AuroraBeam

I am practicing the cloning glitch in the VC version of Crystal. The timing is difficult but I've done it a few times. Once got a clone with a glitchy name but released that one. This last attempt I think I did make one but whenever I go to the slot in the pc where it should be the game resets & I get a message saying "This Game Pak is designed only for use on the Game Boy Color.".

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this or get rid of the glitchy slot pokemon, I'd appreciate it. If it matters I was using a lv12 female snubbull to clone and I had 6 other mons in the box at the time I attempted to clone. Thanks.

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
I am practicing the cloning glitch in the VC version of Crystal. The timing is difficult but I've done it a few times. Once got a clone with a glitchy name but released that one. This last attempt I think I did make one but whenever I go to the slot in the pc where it should be the game resets & I get a message saying "This Game Pak is designed only for use on the Game Boy Color.".

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this or get rid of the glitchy slot pokemon, I'd appreciate it. If it matters I was using a lv12 female snubbull to clone and I had 6 other mons in the box at the time I attempted to clone. Thanks.
I believe the only way to get rid of it is to hand the bad clone over to the officer at the National Park before entering a Bug-Catching Contest. When you leave/forfeit or wait until time's up, it will not be returned to you. I think it might have to be the only other Pokemon in your party besides your lead in order for it to work, but it might not matter. You might want to look up videos on Youtube or explanations over at GameFAQs before proceeding.

AuroraBeam

I believe the only way to get rid of it is to hand the bad clone over to the officer at the National Park before entering a Bug-Catching Contest. When you leave/forfeit or wait until time's up, it will not be returned to you. I think it might have to be the only other Pokemon in your party besides your lead in order for it to work, but it might not matter. You might want to look up videos on Youtube or explanations over at GameFAQs before proceeding.

Thanks for the help. I think I forgot to mention that the thing was stuck in the pc and would freeze up there. Fortunately I found on another site saying to try to access it from a pc in a different location from the one I cloned & that worked. I was able to release it from there. But I'll keep your idea in mind if one ever comes up where that may help! :)

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
I recently exploited a neat little glitch to teach my Pikachu Surf in Pokemon Blue (Japanese). It was so simple!

Ace Trainer Alex

wants to fight!
So, I am not the greatest at math. I bred a shiny Nidoran M, and I am trying to juxtapose his exp so that upon transfer he will be Timid. I've seen the chart of nature's to exp and all that, but I'm having issue getting the number right... I'm at 236 exp. How much more do I need before Timid nature?

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
I went and purchased Gold for the VC in hopes of trying out the infamous Starter Glitch. I heard the timing's different in the Japanese version, so I made sure to locate and watch footage of the glitch being performed before I tried anything. An hour later, I had all three starters (and my Totodile's female, just like I wanted)!

M.E.R.255

Triangle Face
OHO! MissingNo. and glitches, eh?
I never bothered to finish this image... buuuut... Maybe you guys would like to see a little chart I did with the multiple MissingNo. ^^
(English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Green ROM)
I love being silly, so I have Squirtle and Bulbasaur say stuff and hold up a flag. :p Not in the actual ROM, just in the screenshot. ^^ That triangle guy there is a joke on my character... Which you couldn't understand unless you knew me. *sweat*

If the image isn't 100% resolution, here's the link:
https://orig00.deviantart.net/4298/f/2018/066/d/8/missingno_glitches_by_merry255-dc58s4h.png
missingno_glitches_by_merry255-dc58s4h.png

It appears that the English MissingNo. is the heaviest with 3,507.2 lb whereas all the other ones are 3'3" and 22.0 lb. =O

Japanese's MissingNo. is by far the strongest! O_O
At LV 100:
Attack 500+
Defense 480+
Speed 420+
Special 330+

Yet the one from Pokémon Green is the puniest. =P
At LV 100:
Attack 17+
Defense 11+
Speed 5+
Special 9+

How does that even work?! Then again, it's a glitched Pokémon...

I wonder what else people came across or if this was any interesting to anyone. ^^ Just in case you're wondering, I didn't edit any of the screenshots besides the title screen... I'm not sure if emulators give off the same result as the actual Game Boy, but if they do, great! =D If not... maybe someone can show me what that looks like. ;) I used Game Shark codes to control what Pokemon would appear next (That MissingNo. was byte 1F).

Sorry for the long reply, I can't help myself. >_<

PS: If someone could translate this Japanese MissingNo. entry I shot, that would be freaking awesome! =D
(I can't read Japanese *sweat*)
missingno_japanese_blue_by_merry255-dc58t32.png

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Been using the Mew glitch in Pokemon Red to catch different Pokemon for fun. Planning on using the Missingno one as well later on in game to duplicate items and what not along with helping to catch harder to get Safari Zone Pokemon. Chansey and co., I'm talking to you! :p

Nockturne

Something weird has been happening in my Crystal save and I haven't been able to find anything about it online so I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced or heard of the same thing.

Basically I'm trying to complete the pokedex so while I'm grinding in Victory Road I've been using exp shares to spread the EXP to pokemon I'm not using on my team but need to evolve for Dex completion. Everything was fine for a couple of days but today I noticed that some of my Pokemon's names are getting jumbled up, its like they are nicknaming themselves whilst in the PC, but they are just mixing names with other pokemon in the PC, even if they're in separate boxes. For example I now have Wiggdour the Wigglytuff, Yanhop the Machop, Nidokie the Nidoking, an Arcanine that decided it wants to be a Porygon and Suowzesh the Sudowoodo. I can't even figure out what pokemon that name is a mashup of.

I haven't glitched any pokemon in to the save because I'm trying to get the Pokedex complete, so I'm pretty sure I haven't caused this somehow. And its not a big deal, I assume I could just fix them at the name rater (but if my Arcanine wants to be a Porygon who am I to stand in his way?) I'm just curious if anyone else has heard of this.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
In Blue version, I always used to throw a Pokedoll at the Marowak in the Pokemon Tower, so I could get past it without beating the Game Corner.

Apparently that was a glitch. Did not know that wasn’t supposed to work till yesterday.

TM48

Hi!
This is my first post on the forums, but I've been lurking on and off for some time.

I was playing Yellow version on N64 via Stadium's GB Tower and I was fooling around with trying to get 151%completion via the long range trainer glitch and [this](https://puu.sh/257S) helpful map. (Note that there are inconsistencies between this version and Yellow, such as gym leaders, rival, and the sandshrew trainer on Route 10)

I decided to go ahead and try to encounter the two MissingNo available near the start of the game, the one on route 11 next to where you get the itemfinder, and the one on route 10 by the entrance to rock tunnel. Both of these missingno result in crashes in Yellow version, but I was able to noticed something unique by playing the game through Stadium's GB Tower. When the game begins to lag at the beginning of the MissingNo encounter, the yellow arrow between the console and the cartridge icons at the bottom of the screen began going, signalling that it was saving or loading. IIRC the arrow was pointing from the cartridge to the console, indicating that it was actually loading data from the cartridge into Stadium's data when MissingNo appeared, perhaps because the game ran out of RAM and was searching for more. As I understand it, the GB Tower is essentially the Super Game Boy 2 BIOS modified to only recognize the Pokemon cartridges.

Even more interesting, the second time that I did this, using the Lass' Clefairy on Route 10 next to the Pokemon Center, one of Stadium's error messages popped up saying that the save data was corrupted and that I would have to reboot and select New Game; however, when I rebooted and loaded my save (saved right before I did the LRT glitch obviously), everything was fine. I haven't beat the game yet on this file, so I don't know if the Hall of Fame data is corrupted, or if there are any other glitches I've yet to encounter.

I think I'll go ahead and try this second MissingNo again so that I confirm which direction the save/load arrow goes; it only lasts two or three seconds so I didn't have time to take a picture, but I do remember that the direction was the opposite of what I was used to seeing. Of course, every time I reset the game I see the loading arrow, so it might actually have been the /saving/ arrow (meaning that data was being sent from Stadium's emulator back into the GB cartridge). I'm a little afraid to try it again because of the save corruption message. I'd also be interested to try it on my GBA to see what happens on that version.

Tangentially, and I might make a new thread for this, has anyone ever heard of using the infamous Crooked Cartridge technique when playing the Gen 1/2 games via Stadium?
On many N64 games, notably Ocarina of Time and Mario 64, you can unload actors by grabbing the left side of the cartridge and pulling it away from the system, causing the game to run out of memory and start unloading things, allowing you to walk through walls and things like that. I'd be interested to see if this memory-abuse can be used to do wacky and cool things inside Stadium's GB Tower, but I also don't want to corrupt my save data for no reason. Has anyone ever heard of using Crooked Cartridge in Stadium/GB Tower?

TM48

In Blue version, I always used to throw a Pokedoll at the Marowak in the Pokemon Tower, so I could get past it without beating the Game Corner.

Apparently that was a glitch. Did not know that wasn’t supposed to work till yesterday.
Gen 1 has lots of unintended things that are often called glitches, when really they're just oversights. The whole 1/256 isn't a glitch, it's just the result of developers incorrectly programming the game; quite simply the game is incorrect about what's supposed to happen. Same thing with Focus Energy doing the opposite of what it's supposed to, Psychics being immune to Ghost, and the Poke Doll thing.

I guess it's kind of splitting hairs, but things like Mew Glitch and Old Man Glitch are, I would say, full-on glitches because they require execution by the player. Cinnabar Island is a broken area where surfing will summon Pokemon based on garbage data, but it takes a lot of execution to turn the garbage data into a functioning MissingNo.

TM48

Confirming that encountering a MissingNo crash while playing Pokemon Yellow via Stadium Tower causes the game to write data from the console to the cartridge.

I guess I forgot to hit record when I booted the file back up, but it was perfectly fine exactly how it was before long-range trainer glitch.