• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mistakes You Have Made In Pokémon Games.

FloatzieDPPT

playing Version X
The idea of this thread came from my recent Black Version playthrough. While i was in Driftveil city, i found a Vanilish. I gave it an exp share because it was pretty under-leveled compared to the rest of my team.

I few minutes later, i find a new Vanilish and it had a better Nature and moveset, i decided to box my original Vanilish.
Then i came up with the stupid idea of releasing it.
When i did, i realized that i had released the Vanilish with the exp share.

I feel like this was instant karma tbh.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites." - Karen, Gold and Silver

Finikkin

i always tried to skip trainers on my first play through of pokemon Y, and i didn't try to skip them to get to a pokemon center or anything i just didn't like battling them. this caused a lot of problems down the road because i was severally under leveled for the elite 4. i ended up not touching the game for a few years because of that.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
In my Black 2 playthrough, I wanted to see what happened if you tried to catch Black Kyurem, since Ghetsis disables that just before the battle. I killed it the first time, so I restarted the game and tried to use a Poké Ball on Kyurem, but the game said I couldn't do that. Well, it was pretty obvious by then, right? :rolleyes: (I did eventually catch Kyurem in the post-game, and got the DNA Splicers so I could actually have Black Kyurem.)

Other than that, I don't really think I've made any major mistakes in the Pokémon games, other than accidentally selecting a not-very-effective move, sending out the wrong Pokémon, or releasing my Blaziken in Ruby when I was very little. (Thankfully, I saved just before I did that, and got my beloved Blaziken back with a simple restart. :))

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I love me some game leaks, but perhaps the biggest mistake I ever made was seeing the leaked evolution line of Solgaleo and Lunala. It killed the entire plot twist for me.

I was honestly kinda mad at myself for not being able to enjoy the reveal.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I remember wasting the Master Ball on Snorlax in FireRed because it kept spamming Rest, as well as defeating a shiny Parasect due to a critical hit in the same game.

Phillies

Back in Gen II I found a shiny Mareep and killed it thinking it was a glitch. I didn't realize what I did until later in the game when I encountered the shiny Gyarados.

Orphalesion

Teaching a HM move to my first starter and having to re-set the game because of that, because I was not gonna continue to play with my starter being stuck with such a crappy move.
Evolving Vulpix as soon as I caught it, with predictable results.
Thinking that you could change your team between elite four members and walking into the Kanto Elite 4 battle with a team that was solely effective against Lorelei

Last edited:

FloatzieDPPT

playing Version X
I love me some game leaks, but perhaps the biggest mistake I ever made was seeing the leaked evolution line of Solgaleo and Lunala. It killed the entire plot twist for me.

I was honestly kinda mad at myself for not being able to enjoy the reveal.
Same happened to me.
Ever since then i stopped watching leak videos and such.

FloatzieDPPT

playing Version X
Teaching a HM move to my first starter and having to re-set the game because of that, because I was not gonna continue to play with my starter being stuck with such a crappy move.
Thinking that you could change your team between elite four members and walking into the Kanto Elite 4 battle with a team that was solely effective against Lorelei
The only HM i would teach my starter is Surf (HM03)

Xionea

Half a centaur
Found a shiny Scyther in a horde battle back in the X & Y days, took a picture of it, then muscle-memory hit the run button. Still have not reclaimed that to this day.

Opening up my Crystal version after years of not playing it. First Pokemon I ran into was a shiny Graveler, did not realize it was shiny cause I thought the sparkles were normal in the old games (plus, shiny Graveler isn't really an obvious shiny when you first see it, especially when you think that's how it looks in GBC style). Shiny Graveler are known to explode, but not this one. I ran from it!

And, probably the worst one: letting a nephew borrow my FireRed version to play with for a little bit. I explicitly told him to NOT save when he was done, and you know what he did? He evolved my Eevee into a Flareon and saved the game.

Rune Knight

This literally happened just now.

I think that I am actually suffering from a case of the Mandela Effect, a glitch in the matrix, a hole in the system...

I was listening to a video that mentioned "Vespiquen", however up until now and for the last 14 years I always thought it was "Vespiqueen".

So then I looked it up and it turns out that yeah, it was always called and pronounced as it's named, "Vespiquen".

WTF!!!!

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Defeating Legendaries...

Oh wait, I remember now! In Ruby (the original), I defeated Groudon because I thought it was some kind of boss, and you couldn't catch legendaries. I think I killed Lugia back in the original Silver too, for the same reason. Luckily, by the time Gen 5 was out, I'd wisened up and started catching legendaries. (The newer games make it almost mandatory to catch at least the box-art legendary.)

On my first play through of Blue,I had my Charizard forget Flamethrower for Fire Spin.

I'm guessing because of the anime? They make Fire Spin look like a mega-powerful attack that burns up everything around it in a blazing inferno.

This literally happened just now.

I think that I am actually suffering from a case of the Mandela Effect, a glitch in the matrix, a hole in the system...

I was listening to a video that mentioned "Vespiquen", however up until now and for the last 14 years I always thought it was "Vespiqueen".

So then I looked it up and it turns out that yeah, it was always called and pronounced as it's named, "Vespiquen".

WTF!!!!

It was because of the ten-character limit on Pokémon names back then (hence Feraligatr and not something like "Feralligator"). A lot of YouTubers pronounce it as "Vespiqueen", however, including Marriland in his Diamond playthrough.

Rune Knight

It was because of the ten-character limit on Pokémon names back then (hence Feraligatr and not something like "Feralligator"). A lot of YouTubers pronounce it as "Vespiqueen", however, including Marriland in his Diamond playthrough.

Yeah, I'm thinking that I must have heard it be called "Vespiqueen" at some point and it stuck with me since.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?

But as opposed to Victreebell and Feralligator.. Vespiqueen would still be 10 letters long.. but they opted for a 9 letter name for some reason..

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Used my Master Ball on a Pikachu. Didn't know I'd only get one Master Ball, & I'd had trouble catching Pikachu.