• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Misty Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Upsidedown 403~

Yeah, with the improvements in the writing since the Original Series, there's barely any doubt in my mind that Iris will probably be fleshed out more than Misty did, but to outright say that Misty was a mistake is taking it too far...

Misty's personality rounded off the original trio well...She genuinely cared about the well-being of her friends...Like in Johto for example, in the "Heartbreak of Brock" that episode was memorable because of the interaction between Brock and Misty. Temaku was the first girl to ever show romantic feelings toward Brock, and Misty encouraged him to return the affection.

Also, a lot of people say that Misty always teased Ash for no reason, and was only following Ash because of her bike. But we can see that in Johto, actually probably in the Orange Islands, she forgot all about the bike, and she enjoyed traveling with Ash as his friendship meant a lot to her. I remember right after Ash lost in the Indigo League, Misty was the one who was trying to cheer him up. It's moments like that, that support the great chemistry she had with them that made great interactions.

BlueVapor

^Agreed

Plus, as shown in the episode where Misty had to leave Ash, you could tell that she didn't want to leave at all, even after she got her bike back. She really had no choice but to though, knowing it was her duty to be a gym leader.

So, though the bike might be a reason why she joined Ash, I really don't think it was the reason why she stayed with him.

Metal Mania1321

Stick em' up
Personally, I believe that Misty had much more personallity then May, Dawn, or Iris.
May and Dawn were practically clones IMO, and Iris is either nonchalant or pissed.
the other three were fine, but Misty was by far the best. Although I agree that Dawn had more character development then Misty, she became much more mature when she acquired Togepi. And she was most certainly not useless. Without her and Brock, Ash would not be half as good of a trainer that he is now.

~Upsidedown 403~

I couldn't agree more...And since people like to throw around the "done right" phrase in terms of how characters are handled, that would ultimately mean that dawn was may "done right" because her contest arc has handled slightly better than May's.

Misty wasn't always happy-happy goody-goody with Ash always like dawn was, and wasn't so heavily influenced by him like May was...Misty's relationship with Ash felt more uhh...realistic to me, but that's just me.

Champion Jared 14

I love having mature discussion where valid points about Misty's character are made...Most of the time when people try to dispute them, they usually have to rely on their dislike towards her unfortunately....

In fact, now that I look back...Of course we know there was no set formula to develp the sidekick characters, but it's almost as if for Misty, the writers intentionally wanted to avoid doing it...

I can think right off the back times in the anime where the writers avoided opportunities to flesh out Misty more....

Bye Bye Psyduck comes to mind for me instantly...I think that epsiode has to be one of the biggest slaps in the face to Misty's character on the show. It was good all until the end of it with that devastating discovery...The writers had us fooled that Misty's Psyduck had

A. Evolved
B. Got significantly stronger and learned new attacks
C. Finally became a skilled and capable swimmer
D. Got full control of its psychic powers, making it a force to be reckoned with in battle

But oh no, all it that just had to be some humorus joke...Sigh, I honestly felt disappointed for Misty as a Golduck would not only look GREAT for Misty's team, I think she would've been able to battle a LOT more...But I guess the writers just didn't want Misty to get TOO strong...smh...If they just let Psyduck evolve, keep all those powers from that Golduck, then that would've solved a lot of her problems.

If they wanted to keep some humor in a Golduck, they could've had him still pop out of his pokeball, and Misty having to train him to wait when she calls on him, or give him the appeal to do great when Misty or another pretty girl encourages him...

I'm sorry for writing all of this, it must be long...LOL I'm just having a Misty rant is all.

Last edited:

BlueVapor

^I agree with this. Plus, doesn't Misty have a Golduck on her team in the Johto games? It just would've looked so good on her team, but I think the writers wanted to keep Psyduck as Psyduck for comedic moments from a "cute" Pokemon.
Although, for all we know, Psyduck could be evolved right now, it's just we haven't seen Misty in so long, it's hard to say.

~Upsidedown 403~

I believe she does...Misty's teams in GSC and HGSS are VERY impressive....she not only has dual-typed water pokemon, but the pokemon are genuinely all powerful in their own right, and have a variety of attacks.

Mobius_1

Has left the forum.
^Agreed

Plus, as shown in the episode where Misty had to leave Ash, you could tell that she didn't want to leave at all, even after she got her bike back. She really had no choice but to though, knowing it was her duty to be a gym leader.

So, though the bike might be a reason why she joined Ash, I really don't think it was the reason why she stayed with him.

I seconded your post here. If she doesn't attend the gym for too long, it might get closed. And in fact, IMO, things that were left unclear prior to the farewell episode was later cleared up in the Hosos.

And yeah, I think that the bike itself is just some lame excuse. There's something more behind her reasons that she joined Ash

Champion Jared 14

Ohh, please allow me to offer my feedback on why Misty wanted to travel with Ash.

When Misty first came across Ash in the show, she fished him and Pikachu out of the water. To get Pikachu help at a local pokemon center, he stole Misty's bike without asking and ultimately it got destroyed by electricity. Initially that may seem like the main reason for why she wanted to travel with Ash. But there could be other things...

Misty was presumably on her own doing things for herself...As a trainer...She was from Cerulean...But when Ash wanted to challenge the leader there, why was it that Misty wanted to avoid Cerulean City altogether?

Possibly because of her sisters...It's probably a less than desireable environment at Misty's home with her sisters. Because her parents aren't mentioned, I'd assume that they might be dead. Misty's only known family are her sisters. Her sisters had a popular reputation as being very beautiful and talented for the Synchronized swimming shows they put on. Misty wasn't a part of the "Sensational Sisters". Who knows how they could've made Misty feel?

Because Misty wasn't a part of the famous group her sisters were a part of, they probably made it seem like she wasn't beautiful or talented at all like her sisters were. Being in this environment without a support system, Misty probably developed a slight inferiority complex, not thinking of herself very highly. To escape the persecution of being made to feel inferior to her superior sisters, Misty left the Gym and Cerulean City altogether to make it as a pokemon trainer. Doing that, she'll finally find a way to establish herself and get out of the shadows of her sisters.

That's the reason I came up with for why Misty wanted to leave Cerulean City so badly.

BlueVapor

Ohh, please allow me to offer my feedback on why Misty wanted to travel with Ash.

Haha, I read that and knew instantly that you were going to have a huge post :p But that doesn't matter, cuz I agree with everything that you said, it does seem very likely that that could be the reason why she left.

Watching "The Water Flowers of Cerulean City" back, you can notice that Misty's sisters sometimes mention that she's less beautiful than they are, and I know they've called her scrawny at some point as well. It wouldn't be much of a surprise if she did leave Cerulean, to prove to her sisters that she can be beautiful and talented in her own right.

Plus, I think one of her sisters mention in that episode that Misty said she wouldn't come back until she was a great Water Pokemon trainer, which obviously, at that point in time, she wasn't.

pokemon fan 132

To Champion Jared 14:
I have to say "Bye Bye Psyduck"brings back memories,.It was great episode and i have to admit that i was also being fooled that Misty Psyduck evolved when i watched it for first time(quite good teaser i must say).Shame that this didnt happened but all in all i liked this episode showing Misty to be capable battler handling good wild pokemon like it was hers.True some may say how reason why Golduck listened to Misty was because he wanted to impress girls,but at same time its needed to take in account how he decided to choose Misty instead of Marina and others because it considered her as good enough trainer with Misty using good strategy and attacks when battling with it.

Another opportunity on which writers missed on here was with that water trainer Marina.She could have become great rival for Misty in future being one of perfect candidates for his job.

Unfortunately its pretty obvious how writers didnt fleshed out Misty as much as they could have.Her goal of becoming water pokemon master,her backstory,several of her pokemon were mostly unexplored leaving lot of untapped potential there which could be used to do more with her character.
Unlike its case with Dawn or May we dont know even motives behind Mistys desire to become water pokemon master and what influenced her to have preference for one type.We didnt see Misty overcoming her personal issues which stand on her way of becoming water pokemon master never coming to significant realization how to achieve her dreams either.
Such a shame that they got rid of character who has such deep and great personality making interactions in group more enjoyable leaving lot of potential unlocked.

Also i must say you did interesting analysis about Misty reasons behind leaving gym to travel and if i may add on it.As we know Misty got tired of living in her older sisters shadow causing complex on her of feeling less worthy wanting to prove that she is just as good as they are along with developing desire to become best water trainer in world and when she met first Ash you could get impression how she only wanted to stick with him until she gets her bike back.However as time went on Misty started to forget about whole bike thing wanting to continue traveling in company of her friends Ash and Brock who she considered being her new family.After Kanto ended Misty forgot about bike not caring for it anymore just wanting to stick with her friends,explore new regions and pokemon learning everything she can about pokemon tyoe she adores and pursue her dream of becoming water pokemon master with time starting to open herself more toward others sharing with them her past,dreams and motives.In Ash case judging by some episodes it seems she started developing romantic affection too.
Fact that she didnt cared about bike at all in "Gotta Catch Ya Later"wanting to continue traveling with Ash being unhappy about going back to gym further shows how there were much deeper reasons behind Misty decision to travel with Ash than just bike which was used as simple vector to start everything.

I seconded your post here. If she doesn't attend the gym for too long, it might get closed. And in fact, IMO, things that were left unclear prior to the farewell episode was later cleared up in the Hosos.

And yeah, I think that the bike itself is just some lame excuse. There's something more behind her reasons that she joined Ash

Now that you mentioned chronicles did cleared up some things giving to Misty some great development.She overcome her fear from Gyarados,saved gym from PIA inspection along with gaining sisters respect(mostly from Daisy though).This was testament to Misty strength and independence as character.
Though they still left many unanswered things about Misty too.

Unlike say some other characters like May she never got any closure. She never achieved her dream or came to some significant realization that will help her achieve her dream. Sure, May didn't win a GF, but she realized that she was too reliant on Ashs training style, set out to establish her own, traveled on her own (or with her rivals), overcame her fear and loathing of Pokemon, etc. She had massive character development and proper closure. Misty didnt. Misty didnt choose to stop traveling with group nor hard interest in running gym.
Furthermore specials after departure didnt offered any progress of plots of her story(like her goal of becoming one type master,to learn everything she can about water pokemon,other aspirations etc)nor there was ignited any change in character of deciding to pursue something else.

Watching "The Water Flowers of Cerulean City" back, you can notice that Misty's sisters sometimes mention that she's less beautiful than they are, and I know they've called her scrawny at some point as well. It wouldn't be much of a surprise if she did leave Cerulean, to prove to her sisters that she can be beautiful and talented in her own right.

I think this also influenced partially her decision of wanting to become water pokemon master later in series to prove she has what it takes to become exceptionally great trainer one day.That and her passionate love for this type.

Speaking of which another thing i find unique is that we never saw with any other character such passionate love for specific type like we get to see with Misty.That was one of things in which she stand out wanting to learn everything she can becoming best one type trainer on day,.I remember how important to her was opinion from others about her abilities as trainer like when she asked her idol Lorelei to take a look at her pokemon or when she was heartbroken when famous nurse Joy who is taking care of pokemon center for water types in Johto refused to examine her pokemon because of hating them.
Thanks to such liking,determination and potential she showed as water trainer i think Misty has predispositions to achieve her dreams one day becoming recognized in world.

Champion Jared 14

I can also think of another moment where the writers probably purposefully neglected a chance to develop Misty further.

In the episode "Ariados Amigos" Ash and co. met up with Koga's sister Aya once again. They joined her at the Pokemon Jujitsu School. They were allowed to take free classes for the day, and the classes they took depended on the color suit that they'd wore.

Ash chose the red suit, which means trainers would have classes to improve their battling techniques.

Brock chose the yellow suit, which was for trainers to have technical classes to make their pokemon attacks more effective.

Misty chose the blue suit, which was pretty, but it was for trainers who go to the Beauty Center to learn about beauty, health, and nutrition....

Initially, Misty expressed that she didn't want to learn about those kinds of things, that she wanted to learn about attacks and battling, to improve her abilities as a trainer.

But then they had to brag about how great and exclusive the class was, only being offered once a year. They just had to stress that trainers come from all over the world to get that kind of beauty treatment, having "protein" introduced to the skin making trainers look like "movie stars" Sigh...they just had to bring out Misty's girly side there and have her ignore a valuable chance to make her a better trainer, and forget all about the battle classes...And the sad thing about it was, Misty didn't even enjoy her makeover, because she had her face stuck in a silk thread cast of Spinarak's String Shot....

SMH...they should've just had Misty be involved in one of those battling technique classes...I think that's another reason where the writers didn't want Misty to become a "powerful trainer"....

Last edited:

Misty Lover17

Water Trainer
Hi, I'm re-joining the Misty Club :)
I'm glad to be here with you. I still remember the old club, back in 2005, nice to see there's a new club! :)

BlueVapor

I think Misty has a good chance of getting a cameo if there's another Pallet Town reunion.

The end of Sinnoh was horribly rushed, and no one appeared, not even Tracey. So hopefully, the writers will make up for that by having a little group gathering after Unova. I sure would love to see Misty show up, and maybe even meet Iris. They're so similar, but I would love to see how the two of them interact. But regardless, she has a good chance of appearing simply because she lives pretty close to Pallet.

Metal Mania1321

Stick em' up
Does anyone besides me believe that Misty will return to the show someday? Actually, she does make an appearance in B/W. She is in a picture on Brock's wall so I'm glad to see the writers haven't completely forgotten her.
On an unrelated note I'm looking for members for my Fallout club, anyone interested?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.