• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mixed Hydreigon

Blayd

Grrrr!
635.gif

Hydreigon. The big pseudo-legendary of the 5th gen. Evolves at a whopping lvl64. When I heard about this guy, I was sure he'd be freaking awesome. But, in my opinion, he isn't really. True, 125 Base Sp.Atk and 98 Base Speed is pretty good, but what he lacks for me, is a decent set up move. Maybe it's just my playstyle, but I much prefer pokemon like Haxorus who can set up with DD and then sweep. As it happens, the only set up move Hydreigon learns is work up, which isn't worth it for me, as it only raises his sp.atk by one level. But it also raises his attack....

Where am I going with all this? Basically, I reckon work up has the potential to make Hydreigon a decent mixed attacker. 105 Base Attack isn't all that bad after all!

So, I'm wondering, what do you think the competetive viability of Mixed Hydreigon is? How does he compare to an all-special Hydreigon? Is Work Up even neccessary for it?

Discuss. Feel free to post sets to argue your case.

It can run a similar role to Flygon last gen. It shits Scarf U-turns and keeps up offensive pressure but the second you dare not switch is when it hits you with its crazy offensive movepool.

R4GEKILL!!!

Me So Thorny
Hydreigon is... Trash. He makes Flygon look like Garchomp compared to him. SURE he can pull off mixed, But no matter what, unscarfed with less investment in any stat, he'll be even LESS efficient.

irock245

She wants it
^ i would die laughing if he got swept by a mixed hydregion and lost because of it.

Btw, mixmence is better, so only go special hydregion.

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
Mixed and Scarfed need to go hand in hand. With Scarf and 88 Speed EVs and a beneficial Nature, Hydreigon hits 418 Speed, just fast enough to outpace Scarf Timid Heatran (and tie with a Scarf Adamant Lucario, if that even exists). Splitting 420 EVs between the Attacking stats makes it really nice. I would say that Mixed Scarf Hydreigon is definitely an idea for the future.

windsong

WEST SIDE
Hydreigon is... Trash. He makes Flygon look like Garchomp compared to him. SURE he can pull off mixed, But no matter what, unscarfed with less investment in any stat, he'll be even LESS efficient.

What.

R4GE you're an okay guy but lol, you keep making dumb claims without backing them up. Hydreigon plays a niche role, but is by no means trash at that, and is one of the most effective lures for Rachi and stuff in the game. There are a ton of roles that only it can play efficiently (Specially based scarfer that doesn't fear Pursuit, Specially based scarfer with U-Turn).

ultimatedarkrai

Forbidden Empire!
^ i would die laughing if he got swept by a mixed hydregion and lost because of it.

Btw, mixmence is better, so only go special hydregion.

ive swept plenty with a mixed naive hydreigon...
and not just noobs who dont know ****. just remove mach punch and iceshard first (although it can take a hit from a conkeldurrs mach punch even after 2-3 turns of LO damage).

MasterLucario

No life till leather
I see the perks, but I prefer Specs or Scarf. Makes more use of its insanely great special attack stat. Leave the mix to mence.

Soperman

The One and Only
Mixed Hydreigon is a joke. Stick to Special Specs Hydreigon.

Mixed Hydreigon is a joke. Stick to Special Specs Hydreigon.

It has some perks over Latios, like not being destroyed by Pursuit and learning Fire Blast but its still hard to warrant using Specs Hydreigon when Latios is a bit faster and hits a ton harder (and 2HKOs Blissey / Gastrodon / etc with psyshock)

Soperman

The One and Only
^true, but there are other ways to handle Blissey. Don't get me wrong, I love Specs Hydreigon, I just feel that mixed sets don't work as well as Special sets.

cdawg3574

I DO THIS SH*T!!!!!
They have their niches, Hydreigon is better as a revenger, while Latios spams DM with specs and an insane sp att stat, or sweeps with LO or expert belt to bluff specs. The main perks for each is that Hydreigon runs a mixed set better and has access to flamethrower/fireblast/focus blast/dark pulse and Latios is all powerhouse, minus the coverage

Psycho Cut

I too, am not a fan of Hydreigon, mixed or not. I think a mainly special set, but with U-turn works the best.

Remorph

Alone With Everybody
Mixed set? More like fail set. You are better off running a Physical set, which is never seen coming, and quite effective as well.

Blayd

Grrrr!
Mixed set? More like fail set. You are better off running a Physical set, which is never seen coming, and quite effective as well.
Yes, but neither's a mixed set really. With a Mixed set, you can still give a nasty surprise to Blissey etc, just like with Phsyical, but you can also make use of the 125 Base Sp.A.

The biggest problem about hydregoin imo, is that he has that f*******king troooollllllll speed! Nevertheless, I like Hydregoin, And I'm still trying to find an excuse to using him

I guess this honestly depends on how you define "mixed". For example, I wouldn't call special Hydra with U-Turn "mixed" since you're using U-Turn more as momentum utility than a physical offensive move. If you don't count U-Turn sets, then I personally prefer to stick to special sets. Honestly, Draco Meteor, Dragon Pulse, Earth Power, Fire Blast, Dark Pulse, Focus Blast, and Surf are plenty to do a ton of damage to most teams. Base 105 isn't bad, so I suppose it's possible to run an effective mixed set with Outrage or something, but it just seems to me that Salamence kinda does that better.

emboarrocks

#1 emboar fan
Hydregion isn't THAT bad

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
I guess this honestly depends on how you define "mixed". For example, I wouldn't call special Hydra with U-Turn "mixed" since you're using U-Turn more as momentum utility than a physical offensive move. If you don't count U-Turn sets, then I personally prefer to stick to special sets. Honestly, Draco Meteor, Dragon Pulse, Earth Power, Fire Blast, Dark Pulse, Focus Blast, and Surf are plenty to do a ton of damage to most teams. Base 105 isn't bad, so I suppose it's possible to run an effective mixed set with Outrage or something, but it just seems to me that Salamence kinda does that better.

Well you got Outrage, but Earthquake Crunch and U-Turn can also factor in for a Mixed set.

Haru Glory

Rave Master
Once I saw an all-out Physical offensive Hydra, that wasn't bad.
Remember, it's a pseudo-legendary, with 105 Base Attack that don't suck at all.

It has the moves to hit hard on the Physical side, such as Dragon Rush, Crunch, Outrage, Body Slam, Tri Attack, he can even use the Quake-Edge combo, Head Smash, the elemental Fangs... Totally awesome.