• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Miyazaki

Peter Quill

star-lord
I was reading TIME magazine when I came upon an article explaining Ponyo and Miyazaki's work. Ponyo is his latest movie to reach the US, and even though it has disney cashcows (Noah Cyrus and Frankie Jonas) as the leading voices it's supposed to be pretty good. I then learned that he was the person who created Spirited Away. I for one personally love that movie, and although I haven't seen any of his other ones, I'm somewhat inspired and really like the drawing and simplicity in his movies.

I figured I could make a thread so that we can praise/flame his works.

So let's discuss his movies people!

TomDraco

I'm a /tr/ainer.
I only watched Spirited Away and some of the movies featured on CN during its Month of Miyazaki.

Spirited Away was a great film, both in story and art/animation.

Laputa: Castle in the Sky was all around interesting, especially with the airships.

Howl's Moving Castle was cool, but unfortunately I cannot remember anything from the movie >_< .

I really want to see Ponyo, and I hope it isn't too "Disneyfied".

Asrialys

My all-time favorites are My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and Castle in the Sky. The first two movies were my first exposures. They may have magical elements to them, but they're still down-to-Earth and cheerful. The latter two have great music and magnificent settings.

Gah! I still need to find a copy of Kiki's Delivery Service. I think they're re-issuing some of the older titles...

I really want to see Ponyo, and I hope it isn't too "Disneyfied".
People really need to stop this totally ridiculous anti-Disney mindset. Maybe try taking a look at something first before just looking at who brought it to you.

RLinksoul

The most recent Miyazaki film I've seen was Spirited away. Kinda boring, but it had great animation.

I have a DVD copy of Kiki's Delivery Service though. It nice, but kinda slow, understandable since it's a coming of age, slice of life story with no good vs evil fights or anything like that.

Also: I do love this thing. pic 1 Also comes with awesome background

Vernikova

Champion
I really like a lot of his movies. My favorite would have to be Howl's Moving Castle but Ponyo and Spirited Away are up there as well. The way his movies are animated always has me wishing that more animation movies these days were fully animated and not CG.

GaZsTiC

Alternating
All of his movies are stunning in both script and animation. They all have great storylines, great characters and I love how he send a little piece of paper that says "NO CUTS!" to the dubbing companies. Genius. Other anime companies should follow his example. :D

My personal favourite is Spirited Away however overrated it is by some people. I also love Nausicaa, Laputa, and Howl's Moving Castle. It's a shame that his son Goro has so far not made anything totally up to scratch. I mean, Tales of Earthsea was OK but nothing in comparison to his father.

Waldorf

ungrateful
Hayao Miyazaki makes charming films. Really fit the bill for what a children's movie is supposed to be and how it should work. Studio Ghibli's particular design--especially for children, who are so prominent in Miyazaki films--has become a little stale and generic in my opinion, but they still manage to create positively adorable characters so who cares.

My personal favorite is probably Princess Mononoke, typical as that may be. I'm a huge fan of that kind of magical realism where the human and the divine coexist unassumingly, and everything about the film is gorgeous.

Ksi

Multi-Type Trainer
All of his movies are stunning in both script and animation. They all have great storylines, great characters and I love how he send a little piece of paper that says "NO CUTS!" to the dubbing companies. Genius. Other anime companies should follow his example. :D

Reference for the win! HA! Reading that cracked me up.

A film Miyazaki worked on was a Lupin the III film, Castle of Cagliostro, which is a favorite of mine, along with Spirited Away, Nausica, Mononoke, and Howl's Moving Castle. I never really watched all of Castle in the Sky though.

There was this one Miyazaki Film that I found on crunchyroll.com that kinda breaks the mold by using a CG dragon near the end. That was not so nice, but most of the movie had that Miyazaki charm that you couldn't ignore.

EDIT: It was called Tales of Earthsea, directed by Miyazaki's Son: Goro Miyazaki. That was a kickass/sweet/great movie.

Last edited:

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Porco Rosso is the best, such an underrated Miyazaki film compared to his other work.
This, basically.

The only thing he's ever done that isn't worthwhile is Howl's Moving Castle. Not my favorite anime director, but he's damn good.

denizenofevil

Is this the same guy who made Grave of the Fireflies? I thought the art was similar but I'm not quite sure if he was the one who made that. If he did, that would be my favorite. It's very depressing but the music and the story was very good and I thought it captured what life was like during WWII. I also enjoyed Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle although I felt bad for the old woman since she was just so frail. I can't watch that movie without feeling sad. Heck, I can't watch movies with old women in general without feeling sorry for them.

Asrialys

Is this the same guy who made Grave of the Fireflies? I thought the art was similar but I'm not quite sure if he was the one who made that. If he did, that would be my favorite. It's very depressing but the music and the story was very good and I thought it captured what life was like during WWII. I also enjoyed Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle although I felt bad for the old woman since she was just so frail. I can't watch that movie without feeling sad. Heck, I can't watch movies with old women in general without feeling sorry for them.
Grave of the Fireflies was animated by Studio Ghibli, but was directed by Isao Takahata.

zenzai

Sweet and Delicious
I'm not a diehard fan of Miyazaki. I've only seen Howl's Moving Castle, Totoro (watched it in Japanese class, so probably doesn't count), Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke (not that I remember any of it), and the second half of Laputa. While I've liked them all, I don't love them.

I guess, for me, that which sticks out the most (in a good way) are the characters he creates. Someone earlier used the word "charming," and I think that perfectly fits characters such as the Catbus and Kaonashi (to name only two).

Yeah i concur, he's my favourite animation director. Miyazaki's films show disney doing good things for anime, releasing his work as he wanted it, with their advertising resources drawing new fans to animated features.

I saw ponyo subbed in cinemas, but im confident the dub would have been fine. Princess Mononoke, Howl, Spirited away and Kiki's delivery service were my favourites, though all of miyazakis work is brilliant and unique.